1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

My experience has been pretty stable to be fair. I've about 1 or 2 ctds in 80 hours of play and the only things that really have been a problem is the bug with the Gaulder Amulet:

If you find Gerimund's Hall before you are supposed to, don't clear it out! You won't be able to complete a mission later on.

Other than that, I've seen a dragon race off backwards once and a mammoth take off like a rocket in an attempt to land on the moon, plus a couple of random falling trolls from the upper limits of Skyrims atmosphere in what seems like an obvious suicide after many months alone in orbit.

Sometimes bodies fall through the floor also. None that have anything of value for the missions though yet. I threw someone about twenty foot by accident once as well by holding e down and twitching the mouse. I haven't been able to do it again since :(

Fused likes this.
  2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I picked this up in one of the £19.99 deals and so far i'm not impressed. It looks horrible and I can't put my finger on whats wrong with the graphics but it gives me a headache playing it. The same thing happened with borderlands. I've fired in various mods and some ini tweaks but it still doesn't look right. I've only made it to the first village but already I don't feel like continuing with it. :sigh:

The game seems a big step backwards after playing the Witcher 2.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

It does look horrible, no way around that - but that's the biggest flaw, visuals aren't everything, give it a bash.

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I think it looks beautiful, though I do play with a bunch of HD mods installed. I agree though; visuals aren't everything.

5. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I keep finding myself in situations where there is no way I can take on the enemies without them decimating me, so I basically just go Guerilla style, and use my bow to hit them from being hidden, then backing around a corner where they tend to go "Hmm I must of imagined this arrow in my head". :lol:

6. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Could you point me towards the mods you have please? (I guess they are on skyrimnexus but the exact ones), thanks :)

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Came back to Skyrim to do a bit more after a short break, and I keep getting CTDs now.

Never had a problem before the patches, and now I've had two in about an hour. Just about done the Thieves Guild though.

Also, what the hell are people doing when playing this, running it at 640x480 with no AA on low settings?

Its a great looking game, how anyone could say it looks rubbish I don't know.
    And I'm not running any mods, and I am only running on High settings with 4x AA.

8. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I'm running it on high at 1920*1200 with 4xAA and 8xAF - I have not had any problems with it.
    As for the mods I'm using; I'll put up a list tonight as I'm at work now.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2011
  9. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

Saying Skyrim doesn't look nice is like saying Scarlett Johanssen is rough.... crazy foo's!

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I played the Fall Out games on PS3 and I'm finding the interface and inventory on the PC terrible. These should be the areas where the PC really excels with mouse and keyboard. NPC's still stare straight at you like mannequins when talking to you too. I was expecting better.

Anyone getting flickering shadows, mostly on characters? I think that is what is causing the headaches?

11. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

Many people have said that picking up a xbox controller is a good investment for playing Skyrim on PC.

Or you could play it on PS3 or Xbox, but it's not as vast.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I bough it for PC so I could mod it later on. :thumb:

13. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

Yes!

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I don't get it either, sometimes the visuals in the game take my breath away - it looks absolutely beautiful.

15. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

It doesn't consistently look good, though. Yes there are times when everything lines up and it looks fantastic, but there are also a lot of times when textures are noticeably low res and models are a bit blocky. There's a difference between good aesthetic design and good graphics from a technical standpoint; skyrim does very well in the former but not in the latter imo.

16. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

It's the best looking game I've ever played on any platform, but each to their own.

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

OK, so these are the mods I'm running:

- Detailed bodies 1.30
    - HD furniture and barrels
    - Improved NPC clothing
    - Organic Dragons, all 3 colours
    - Realistic smoke and embers high res
    - Skyrim sunglare
    - Skyrim enhanced shaders HDR
    - Chris2012's Whiterun HQ texture pack
    - Finer dust
    - Gold coin replacer
    - High quality eyes
    - High resolution snow 4096
    - High res roads (2048)
    - Hires road signs version 3
    - Mountain rock enhancement
    - HD food and clutter
    - No more blocky faces
    - Paper HD
    - Realistic water textures high res
    - Serious HD retexture landscape skyrim
    - Time on loading
    - Vurts Skyrim flora overhaul
    - Realistic rain ripples

That should be all of them. ;)
    Most of these are works in progress though, so some see regular updates. I haven't been back to check for updates for a few days, but there might be newer versions kicking about.

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'm going to add:
    -Detailed faces
    -Enhanced Night Skyrim
    -Enhanced Blood Textures

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Robbaz is always badass

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's nvidia man.. they process textures differently

noticed it right off when switching camps.. the game looks absolutely stunning on my end- not some of the time.. all of the time!

I have to say this is probably one of the best games ever made =] some bugs but nothing you can't get around with the console.. a lot like oblivion

remember rage.. all the guys running nvidia have the absolute worst looking pixels hitting their face.. have a buddy who still runs nvidia and compared videos to make sure it wasn't some placebo effect :D

just glad don't run nvidia anymore.. not just for pyrit either which I use quite a bit.. reminds me back in the day, ati did have better visuals back before the 8800gtx g80

looks like they do today in non twimtbp titles too.. this isn't my opinion either- I'd be happy to compare videos with anybody using the same config!