1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BF3 noob questions thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by YEHBABY, 5 Nov 2011.

1. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

So last night I may of hacked off many players by noob tubing like crazy just to unlock smoke. Alas I may of had a few, (not normal for a school night) and i've only killed 15 people with it.

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

3. Achilleas.k

Achilleas.k Minimodder

It doesn't "follow the bullet", it just keeps you scoped so you can see where it goes. In BC2, the default behaviour is to rearm the rifle as soon as you fire. Holding the fire button delays this. It is indeed the best kept secret in the game, as I just discovered it now while reading through the thread and confirming what it does exactly on the wiki.

In BF3, the default behaviour is to stay scoped (when using bolt action rifles). You need to un-zoom for it to rearm. The straight-pull bolt allows you to rearm without going out of zoom.

4. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

With the mortar do you have to get so many kills before smoke is unlocked?

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

no idea about that. sorry. try press 2 and mortar as close to you as possible. you should be able to see if it's smoke or explosive round.

but here's a few tips i found helps greatly:

1. press 1 and 2 to constantly switch between smoke and explosive rounds. allows a relatively constant stream of mortar and also helps your team with smoke screen.

2. on Seine crossing, try aim for the wall of a building. it makes rocks fall on people's head. instant death, and much more spread than a single explosive round.

3. play the choke points and see where people usually hide behind (eg, Alleyway on Bazaar), then mortar those points for some lucky multikills.

6. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Thanks for the advice. I've been using the CPC/BT server to test things out when it's empty. I only ever use the mortar in Rush really as this helps to create a line when defending or attacking.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It comes with smoke and explosive rounds. Just press 2 to select smoke. :thumb:

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I 2nd this, the first thing I did when I unlocked the mortar was to put smoke rounds down on a rush objective. You don't need to get kills with it, unlike the M320. Wuyanxu is right about the M320, not giving players smoke as default is one of the worst mistakes DICE made with BF3.

9. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

That's true, smoke is so useful especially in rush.

10. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

If you look at the crosshair when using the mortar you'll notice it moves ever so slightly down when you press 2 to select smoke. Other than that I haven't noticed any other way to see what you're using... bit daft really.

11. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

On a kinda-side note, can you imagine if DICE had a community controlled Defect Log, with the community voting up the most pressing problems with commenting enabled, and the lesser ones obviously hanging around the bottom of the list.

Would most likely not work to everyone's favour, but would be interesting to see and DICE would still decide what gets changed.

12. Bede

Bede Minimodder

http://getsatisfaction.com/battlefield3/login

Edit:

having bitched about smoke earlier in this thread I actually played a Metro server this afternoon where players were putting down smoke. Admittedly only one or two, but it makes a huge difference when you need cover to push up.

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Wrong thread >.<

14. Murphman357

Murphman357 What's a Dremel?

TEAM

Im also very new to BF3 and enjoying it. Is there a place you can find new team players? :rock:

15. Bede

Bede Minimodder

16. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

To answer a few question gone unanswered -

Where is that chat - Press H, you can cycle between -Popup(default), Hidden and always

Cooking Nades - press 5 to select the nade, hold down mouse1 to cook.
    or
    Press G to get out the nade, hold down mouse1 straight away. I think this does not cook the nade however and you will do a normal throw upon releasing (at work so cant check)

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Sorry what exactly does cooking the nade do?

18. Achilleas.k

Achilleas.k Minimodder

Starts "ticking down" in your hand so it explodes faster after you release it.

19. Bede

Bede Minimodder

BF3 grenades can't be cooked.

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I didn't think they could. They also don't get dropped when you die with one in your hand. The same as rockets go missing when you die firing one at enemy. I miss being able to kamikaze a group of people with a grenade in hand!