1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 9 Dec 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

This is Mankz dude, I'm pretty sure he used up all his respawns with that famous incident ;)

2. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

I understand what you mean Mankz. Being mostly a lurker (even before I registered) I try to avoid reading the flames from certain (and always the same) members. Seems to me like self-policing doesn't work anymore and that the moderators have to be harsher.

I will be missing your posts. Hopefully you'll suffer withdrawal and come back ;)

mvagusta likes this.
  3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I think we need to 'stop' having a go at other members. The older members are seeing a chance here to pick on the newer ones. I've underlined a few points of interest.

Ljs likes this.
  4. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I definitely have to agree with everyone who has made mention of the reviews. I hardly even look at the main page. I could get those reviews on any cookie cutter PC site. I spend my time checking in the project logs section. I've found there are a good group of people who encourage and give positive criticism on mods. There is also an appreciation of different kinds and styles of mods that I just don't see on other sites. That is why I read and post in the project logs section. I sure hope that the project logs section doesn't fall apart.

I hate to say it, but trolling has become all too common on many sites. People seem increasingly to get their kicks out of this kind of thing, and it is a shame if mods don't take it more seriously. I've seen it on a number of sites that I go to.

mvagusta likes this.
  5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

no more ginger.... :(

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I do not have any special insight into Manx's mind (thank fully!) or claim to speak on his behalf but the recent "car smoking ban thread" is a good example of what I believe he is talking about.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm pretty sure I know who he is griping about personly being a grown up some of the time I dont hold grudges I just move on seems that others cant do that, Kinda sad that.

Thanks for posting the link got a new member from it :thumb:

Anyway good luck for the future mate

Last edited: 12 Dec 2011
  8. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Bye Mankz, shame to see you go bud.

mvagusta likes this.
  9. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Can't say I blame you, these days I do more lurking than anything else. This place (outside of the Minecraft thread anyway) has lost a lot of it's sense of community that it had back int' day when we were all just a group of modders with like minds.

mvagusta likes this.
  10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Snap,

Only hang around the photography section really now.

Edit (**** the bed I've been here nearly 10years lol).

mvagusta likes this.
  11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Its unfortunate to lose another long timer but i can see why.

Things change, sometimes good sometimes bad, i have to agree with most of your points, and while it is possible to block certain users so you dont have to view their posts it doesnt really solve the problem, just hides it.

mvagusta likes this.
  12. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Bye Mankx, when I joined you were one of the 'L'enfant terrible' of the forum, BUT it was never personal and you'd argue a point, even concede it.

I don't think we ever crossed paths (with my post-rate it's unlikely) but take care, I hope you find a new 'home' rather than a new forum.

13. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

There's quite a lot of conservatism running through this thread. This is again no comment relating to Mankz as I haven't come across him much, but the inference I am getting is that some types of people are welcome here and others aren't, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Now I may be posting my way in to an insta-ban here but I've never read the forum rules. I figure if I join a forum I'll see how it goes and if I'm enjoying it I'll hang around and if I'm not, or if I'm clearly contravening the normal behaviours, then I'll move on. I acknowledge this is a very self-centred approach, but I have a window into only one person's mind and that is my own.

What people write in a forum post always has to be taken with a serious sachet of salt:

- posts are often anonymous (i.e. only a username)
    - posts may be made on an idle whim; as an immediate reaction; or after much thought and reflection
    - posts are merely an organisation of letters and other keyboard characters

I would encourage anyone getting offended when reading posts to try and find some way of taking a lighter look at things on a consistent basis in their lives. The more you can tolerate in your life the more pleasant I think it will become. The more things you allow yourself to be wound up by the harder it will become.

I've read some of the smoking whilst driving and it just makes me chuckle.

It might also be worth considering that the Nazis perhaps once said something like, "Those Jews, you can ignore them but it doesn't make the problem go away". Now I don't proclaim to know much about Nazi ideology, but I'm aware they have a pretty bad rep in most people's eyes.

14. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

So long Mankz, didn't really reply to your threads but read them.

Hope you find another forum who treats you aswell ;)

Also...I hope I'm not one of them people who post silly things..>_>

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Thanks for everything and good bye.

I've noticed I'm far less active on Bit-tech than I used to. I also think the reasons are the same... It's a shame.

16. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Reported. Might be a little extreme, but I hope you at least get a light shot from the bancannon so that you either grow up or push off...

Mankz, it's been good. I think that you've raised a lot of valid points. Unfortunatly nothing good seems to last forever and perhaps we all look upon the past days with a nostalgic rose tint. Even so, the quality of bit has dropped fairly heavily. since the dennis takeover / CPC merge.

I've actually been off the hardware / modding scene for a while - since getting more bills to pay and discovering airsoft. Even so I lurk here for the community, but there seems to be less quality on the forum these days from the userbase.

Still....for us that remain, I think we should try injecting some good old fasioned banter and discussion into the community, as opposed to posting the same old spam - and try to restore at least the forums to at least a shadow of what they once were.

Mankz, good luck in all your endeavours. Pop back if you think things round here have changed.

mvagusta likes this.
  17. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

I never post much, but I enjoyed your posts Mankz. Thanks man :)

18. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Well quite - the amount of people that have posted that they pretty much just lurk nowadays and then go on to criticise the forum is surely disappointing from a community perspective, no? The only way you can expect to enjoy a community is if you contribute to it, isn't that the general consensus from a social perspective?

Not contributing and then criticising the current content is no more constructive than the content that they seek to criticise.

19. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Unfortunatly it is going to be a lot harder to get out of this pit than I'd like. Allow me to explain with a timeline

- Forum has good banter, everyone is happy, unicorns sparkle and all is good

- A mass of trolls are attracted to us from over the horizon (demot thread / cpc / random mass birth of trolls in a troll cave)

- Trolls flame, spam and generally make the place less enjoyable. Long time members regress to lurking or leave

- Trolls spam more - as the long time members have resorted to lurking or leaving, the amount of quality threads reduce. The few active long term members remaining post less as there is less to contribute to

- Trolls now arrive in the millions, attracted to the scent of spam. Any potential worthwhile forum member sees the pit of spam and lack of quality threads and choose to take their business elsewhere.

- Forum decends to the levels of 4chan. Unicorns no longer sparkle and are all dead. Trolls make ritual sacrifices their gods.

20. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Joined 2006 lurked since 2010 with the occasional posts.

Keep on trucking Mankz :] we will miss you and your wall of filth!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.