1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next "PC Hardware Buyer's Guide"?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by gorgeousman, 11 Dec 2011.

1. gorgeousman

gorgeousman What's a Dremel?

Hi! I was wondering if there is going to be a new "PC Hardware Buyer's Guide" up soon? I'm planning on buying a new computer for Christmas and would love a newer guide than the September version.
    Thanks!

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Unfortunately we've had to shelve any plans to update the Buyers Guide for the foreseeable future as we just don't have enough staff to do it anymore.

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Post up a new topic and select 'build advice', let us know your budget and you'll get some great advice from the community :)

4. gorgeousman

gorgeousman What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies! Will do =)

5. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

srsly how many staff members do you have for writing and reviewing in custom pc.

why doesn't custom pc do what every other business does and exploit some work experience uni leavers. cheap educated labour.

6. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

So no time for a buyers guide of components to build a custom PC, but plenty of time for a review of a 2 year old boardgame you can only buy secondhand?

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder

These were my thoughts on the subject too actually.

I would have thought the buyers guide would brings in a decent amount of traffic and also stops so many "upgrade" threads in the forums.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The boardgame was freelanced out, was written more than a month ago and was approached as a games project rather than a tech one - i.e., I used my Bit-Gamer monthly budget to do it and it in no way detracted from Bit-Tech or Custom PC projects or development.

I appreciate you might want a Buyers Guide, but please bear in mind that you don't have enough information to make such sweeping inferences about how the site and mag operate on a day to day basis.

9. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Why not get some members reviewing things, im sure there are some budding tech writers who would love to do a review. Why dont you try to involve the members and offer a little prize im sure it would be cheaper than freelancing

10. whisperwolf

Look, I'm afraid that no matter how often you try and push Bit-gamer as a separate identity it still looks like part of Bit-tech. As such, I as a reader don't actually care how your splitting your budgets, what I see, is a Custom PC and Modding site telling people that they’re too busy reviewing board games to bother with hardware.
    You, with your detailed views of budgets and spreadsheets of cash flow might see lots of different gloriously glossy trees, but the "sweeping inferences" are actually a Wood.

3lusive likes this.
  11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I shouldn't think its changed since septembers except for maybe the crazy expensive one with SB-E.

12. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I have always seen them as one and the same. I am also a bit fed up with the inclusion of weird things like this and the mind boggling double spread of rubbish gadgets that appears each month! All I want is in depth articles about how PC's work, hardware reviews and game reviews.

The mag / site needs to differentiate itself and with so many reviews on par with bit-tech at the moment I can't see a better way to do this than to produce fewer but more detailed reviews.

Ljs likes this.
  13. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

They manage to keep the Custom PC buyers guide up to date

14. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

All three are owned by Dennis Publishing, the budgets will be related.

Bit-tech needs to put it's audience first or it won't have any. A reoccurring monthly feature is a guarantee to readers that every month there will be something new to read that they will be interested in. You are going to lose readers without it.

I guess people will still keep coming back for the podcast, unless...?

15. woods

woods What's a Dremel?

Don't tell me they've canceled the podcasts? Along with the news there will

only be a forum left

Last edited: 20 Dec 2011
  16. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

The news is a joke. I have visited Bit-Tech almost daily for almost 8 years to have a read of the news and it taken a turn for the worse.

The adverts I suffer, and sometimes block, but lack of industry news and features on peripherals I'm not interested in - D-Day for bookmark deletion draws closer...

17. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

This is some kind of joke right?

My how the mighty have fallen.

18. TrickOn

TrickOn What's a Dremel?

Hmm disappointing I often recommend the article to people as a good starting point on upgrades...

19. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

We're all aware that the amount of content on bit has dropped over the past few months - particularly news, podcasts and buyers guides. There are obviously reasons behind this, hopefully more should become clear in the new year.

See also here - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=222367

20. whisperwolf

With the other thread you've linked saying your going to make the Custom PC a priority and the lack of news on this site, do we take it that bit is going to end up like digitalslrphoto.com? a few press releases, reviews that basically say buy the magazine to find out what we actually think, a user gallery, oh and lots of adverts for the mag?