1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which Monitor is best in price range?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AoE, 17 Dec 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Plan B in affordable monitor, is the The Dell U2312HM. It's a bit more expensive than the LG one suggested here, but as up sides: It does have Display Port as input (with VGA and DVI, while the LG one is just VGA and DVI), and a USB hub. Both don't mean much.. but hey, they are differences.

2. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Same for me. Managed to find one on Yoyotech. Never regretted working hard to find it.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Which is why I recommended the LG IPS236V :)

4. GoodBytes

Yea but the stand is glossy and non adjustable. :/

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The matt finish on the stand is ace on the LG IPS231, plus it's height adjustable and has a decent pivot plus can rotate to portate too.

I think GoodBytes suggested it on my first thread regarding a new system and I stuck with his advice. Best advice I was given regarding monitors. Love mine. Though if I did have the money I'd go to a 27" Dell xD

6. GoodBytes

Don't we all wish :)

7. ICISAZEL

ICISAZEL What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't 1 GTX 560 ti be better than crossfire 5770 ??

Sent from Bittech Android app

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

No, not particularly. He'd get about 5870 levels of performance. Going to a GTX560Ti wouldn't offer enough increase in frame rate to warrant changing when you consider that AoE only just purchased the 5770 he has now from me lol

Obviously, getting the 560Ti means he wouldn't have to put up with CrossFire, but as long as he isn't playing really obscure games, he should be fine.

9. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

cheers guys, i realise that one better card such as gtx560i maybe better than two 5770s however I already have one 5770 of which i got off noizdaemon666 and so I dont intent on wasting money, so i may as well buy another 5770 as I'm pretty pleased with how it performs.

10. Apophis54

Apophis54 Devils Son

Great monitors

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

im temped to go to pcworld for a quick buy, but ever time i go to that place it seriously pisses me off with the idiots hounding around you like a pack of wild cats after a quick commission, and furthermore I always seem to bring stuff back as nothing I get from it ever seems to work or is faulty in some way or another lol

12. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

IPS236V seems to have fairly bad input lag from what I've been reading?

13. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

kool didnt realise screens can lag, i always thought that computers or something was to blame, guess i learn something new now. Anyway to reduce lag?

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

GoodBytes will know best but I think it is to do with the repsonse time. The shorter the response time the less input lag.

The LG IPS236v has a 5 ms response time.

Whilst the LG IPS231 has 8ms to be honest I dont have any issues with this monitor xD

And it's most definately out of stock everywhere now. Or at least Scan are awating stock and so are many other places.

15. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Response time and input lag are completely different things afaik. The former is to do with how quickly it takes a pixel to transition from one colour to another (hence the 'grey to grey' spec that is often quoted), and the latter is to do with how quickly it can process an input and display what the gpu has sent it.

Having a slow response time will mean you may experience 'ghosting' or 'motion blur' when you move fast in games because the pixels cant change quickly enough from one colour to another. TN displays are the fastest with quoted response times as low as 2ms (grey to grey - much slower in other colour transitions), but generally most modern displays will not show pronounced blur like they did in the past on slower display technologies. IMO this spec is massively overrated and people fuss over the response time when they will not notice motion blur even on 'slower' display types (such as IPS or PVA) in the majority of things they do on their monitor.

Having bad input lag, however, will mean there will be a constant delay in your input (with the mouse or whatever) and what is displayed on screen. Some modern TV's are particularly bad for this, because of the complicated image processing they use. They get around it by having a 'gamemode' which can be turned on which disables some image processing to reduce the lag. About 16ms of input lag = 1 frame of gameplay, so anything below that is fine. However, the 5ms measurement often quoted by display manufacturers has to do with response time, and so to find out the input lag of a particular display you will have to read reviews about it as it is not listed in the spec.

And just to clarify, the IPS231P which tftcentral reviewed (and IIRC contains the exact same display panel as the IPS236V you are referring to), has an input lag of 6.9ms, which is excellent and means you will not notice ANY delay in your inputs and what is displayed on screen.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, its response time measurement is 5ms for grey to grey or 14ms for other transitions. In reality this means you may see some extremely slight blur when making fast movements in some games, but I doubt you would really notice it at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Dec 2011
  16. DanFerret

DanFerret What's a Dremel?

So I've had my eye on the LG IPS231P-BN for a while and was trying to find a good price but just seems to be out of stock everywhere, did some googling and came full circle back to Bit Tech!

Seems that quite a few LG IPS models are out of stock, have they stopped making them all or are there new ones out soon?

The confusing way they are named/number doesnt help!

17. GoodBytes

I agree with you. I cannot help you there.
    The closest monitor the LG IPS231P-BN, is the Dell U2312HM. It's a bit better monitor than the LG, and features DisplayPort, DVI and VGA as input. It is a bit more expensive (well in Canada at least).

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

And the Dell has overdrive, a height adjustable stand, and usb ports.