1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Command and Conquer Generals 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogumbercules, 11 Dec 2011.

1. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I'm guessing EA will still have their finger in this pie? If so I won't be going near it... after the attrocity they tried to force on us that was Command and Conquer 4.

Command and Conquer 3 - Introduce Scrin as hostile Tiberium aliens
    Command and Conquer 3 ending - Cliffhanger of massive Scrin invasion fleet
    Command and Conquer 4 - Barely mention said alien's that invaded 20-30 years ago.
    What?

There is also the issue of their awful actions within the various gaming communities they've created... we've had to have seen the awful (but hilarious) Battlefield 3 customer service? "You will surely get the Karkland."

... yeah, going to avoid that like a pox of Nurgle!

2. TrickOn

TrickOn What's a Dremel?

This should still be worth looking, I think I'll just keep an eye on what's going on with it as it gets nearer to release.

It depends how much they've kept in vision with the original, which was great fun...

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

EA OWN the C&C Franchise, it's just been given to a different Studio than the last lot, It all used to be EA LA, but now it's Victory Games.

Sam

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Then I will watch from a far... they ruined the Tiberium Universe with the blasphemy of CNC4 to the point where I ignore the entire plot-line and as far as I'm concerned Kane, LEGION and the Tacitus are all united. I'm waiting for the finishing episode.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I know what you mean. I bought C&C 4 just to finish it off, but the WHOLE thing just:duh:

I seriously hope that Generals 2 is just an improvement on Generals, rather than trying something new (C&C4)

Anyway, my wish list is:
    More than 7 missions per faction
    Hoooge Skirmish games
    Hoooge Multiplayer
    Frank Klepacki, Bill Brown and Mikael Sandgren on the OST
    Moar Generals Challenge
    BASE BUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dozers, Workers/Slaves etc
    Amusing lines like "Can i have some Shoes?" and "I am Big"

Sam

btw, Welcome back from your break Brawl:thumb:

6. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

It was brave what they did with CNC4 though it backfired as the series was already set with its fan base.

Generals was a okay game just doesnt fit within the CnC universe, as it lacks the story and crazyness that Tiberium and Red alert had.

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Never made it past the 3rd mission of GDI in CNC4. Such a terrible, terrible game. No fun whatsoever and they butchered whatever credit the franchise had left.

8. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I can't imagine the skirmish and multiplayer games being very big with graphics that detailed. The only way to have huge maps is do what Supreme Commander did and tone down the graphics, but this has gone the opposite way. I suspect the maps will be small and boring and 6 player max rather than 8.

9. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

I want to believe, but I just don't think I can any more. Last time I really enjoyed C&C was Red Alert 2 (& YR) and Generals (& ZH). Tiberian Sun was the last main C&C game I enjoyed. C&C3 started a nosedive and C&C4 just... god it was just awful.

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

It was awful. They took the grandfather of all RTS games and changed the basic fundermentals.... at the end of a 15 year franchise/series. Who in their right mind doe... EA nevermind.

Generals always seemed a "Lets make an RTS and piggyback it" it's not 'Command and Conquer'-esque, i.e. you don't have an MCV, it relys on multipul worker units building various things (Which if you're me and the super weapons US general that means an undefeatable base) It was fun don't get me wrong, but it wasn't C&C.

Storyline for the Tiberium universe should have ended with Kane proposing his TCN (Tiberium Control Network) and GDI and NOD working together. Then the Scrin returning and going from there...

11. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

For any Oldskool C&C fans... I recommend Red Alert 3 and the MOD 'The Red Alert'

12. rogerrabbits

That game was amazing! But that feels like an eternity ago now.

13. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

It was an eternity ago. Pre-Sage graphical beauty.

It was an awesome game, I really enjoyed CnC3 and Kane's Wrath. CnC4 was just heretical. Zone Troopers should be created just to destroy EA's headquarters who made the call on that game...

14. rogerrabbits

I remember being on holiday... and wanting to get back to play more Tiberium Sun. Sad I know. But it was REALLY good. I'll never forget the music.

15. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Always prefered Red Alerts musical score... The Theme Song is awesome.

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Generals represents to me one of EA's highest points. Yes, they butchered Westwood; yes, it is an abuse of the CnC title. However, firstly it was quite a fun game to play. Secondly it has excellent flexibility for mods and custom maps. Westwood, for all their genius, never released their tools.

Anyone who was ever involved in modding Tiberian Sun will remember the agony of trying to create new super-weapons, new factions etc. The community built its own map-making and voxel-editing tools, and even then if you wanted to play a custom single-player map you had to overwrite the campaign missions. Some very clever people spent a lot of time hex-editing to try and inject some flexibility into the game engine, with limited success.

If Bioware actually take a hard look at what Generals did right then this could be a really excellent game. If it is Dawn of War 2 in the CnC universe this might be a little bit meh. An interesting diversion, like Generals was, but no replacement for Tiberian Sun (which I am off to play a bit of now :)) If Generals 2 bears any resemblance at all to CnC3 and 4 it will fail.

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I spent an enormous amount of time modding tiberian sun. I even made an entire 3rd faction based on The Forgotten. SunEdit2k Cheesecake:rock::rock:

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm going to sit on the fence until review hit. C&C has gone way downhill, to the extent I won't risk my money.

Okay, yes, it looks pretty, but that's Frostbite at work.

20. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Meh, free to play = pointless to play unless you pay. Like others have said, my main concern is that with those insane graphics it will have small maps and probably limited to 2vs2.

I wish EA would learn that gameplay > graphics.