1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Games of the Year 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Dec 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Games are a personal thing, so obviously some people will think others should be higher/lower.

2. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

Best game of 2011, Crysis was 2007/8 if i remember right

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

What, no LIMBO? I'm going to boycott bit-gamer now.

4. stevenrlp

Since when do we judge games just on the eye candy? This have never been the case and never will be... although I agree the FB3 engine is phenomenal it's the game not the engine we are playing...[/QUOTE]

I personally cannot play a game with **** graphics, if i wanted to do that i would get out my old dusty Xbox 360 and play those shitty games instead of using my +£2000 top of the line DX11 gaming system. It sounds like we have a lot of console gamers on here.

5. stevenrlp

I think you need to go take an arrow to the knee

6. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

Pretty pictures does not a game make.

Back on topic, honestly there haven't been any truly great games this year. Granted I haven't played The Witcher 2 but there hasn't been a single game this year that stands out, a game that would be on the tip of my tongue before the question had ever been asked.

I could probably name and rank a couple of games but it seems a little pointless amidst the sea of mediocrity that they seem to hail from.
    No diamond in the rough this year... just more rough.

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I haven't played Uncharted 3, The witcher 2 (its sitting here waiting for me to start it or skyrim yet (I likely won't play skyrim) but I actually think Dead space 2 is my game of the year. Certainly in my top 2.
    I know people bemoaned it was more of a shooter but it had me hooked, I just couldn't stop playing it.

Arkham City has more staying power though. Hell I'm 35 hours into it and I finished the story parts by 13 hours. I. Just. Keep. Going. Back......help!

8. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Very good question.

Nice to see Portal 2 up there though

9. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

Absolutely baffled why Witcher 2 didn't make the list and Deus Ex made second place...

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Actually, you'd be surprised. At the moment we're mostly blabbering about weapons and maps. The game runs surprisingly efficient on mid level gear.

11. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

stevenrlp you appear to confuse your own opinion with fact. Calling everyone console gamers because they like more than flashy graphics is just thick in my opinion. Half Life 2 doesn't have the worlds most amazing graphics, but I'd play that over BF3 any day. I have sunk way more hours into L4D2 than I will BF3 as well, even though again it looks fairly basic.

Also, if you spent £2000+ on that PC, you were conned...

12. stevenrlp

I think not as i followed the Bit-tech guide + My 3D monitors

13. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

BF3 is great, but it lacks the balance of BF:BC2 - the graphics are better, the maps are better, the scale is better, the actual game-play - not quite as good in my opinion. Won't stop me kicking Aria arse again though :)

Deus Ex was a very good game - it wasn't Deus Ex - it was something else done brilliantly, but it didn't have the depth, freedom and political backdrop of the first. In fact replaying he first now is still better than the first play through of DX3.

Both are still amongst the best games of the year, and I'd still have them in the top 5, but both have lost a little something in game-play against their older siblings in return for eye candy.

14. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

No Witcher 2 but the unpolished crap fest that was Deus Ex made it in? Are you sure you guys played the right Deus Ex?

Bf3 was pretty but it didn't exactly do anything new. Come to think of it, it didn't do anything new. I really wish I hadn't bought it. I became bored with it rather quickly.

I suppose I agree with Skyrim, but I thought the game could use a bit more work. Bethesda games always seem to lack presentation.

%100 agree.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2011
  15. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

From me, a few comments as well.

Regarding Witcher 2 - if it is multiplatform titles, then yes it might not make it to the top five, but if we were talking about PC titles, then it should definitely be in the top (in my humble opinion). It is one of those rare games that is not dumbed down and is fully for adults, with serious decisions affecting the storyline in very significant ways.

how about this quote though from the first page:
    Who is on our supposedly expert panel? Dan Grilipoulos, Gareth Halfacree, David Hing, Tom Morgan, James Livett, Craig Lager, Danny Palmer, Ben Paddon, Jennifer Anne-Scott, Jamie Cuthill, Chris Capel, Rick Lane and Paul Goodhead all lent their voices to ours, each getting five votes to cast for whatever they considered the best games of the year. We then counted together the votes and came up with a list of the Top 5.

Where has Joe disappeared? :)

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Personally I'd have like to see Saints Row the Third on there, as for me its easily the best game of the year. It's so well written, I haven't laughed or had as much fun in any other game this year.

But it all depends how we judge a game, I'm personally not interested in Skyrim, and its becomming a little over saturated. I love Deus Ex: HR, but because of the world rather than the game itself. And if we're talking about play time, minecraft easily beats all others, I've dropped more time into it than anything else.

BF3 was quite samey for me, which was a shame.

17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It must be a sign of getting old but everything I've seen of Saints Row the Third looks juvenile. I can't see the humor in it at all; sending out giant *****'s to reviewers etc just makes me cringe.

18. ProAken

ProAken What's a Dremel?

1st and 2nd place well deserved, going to have to check out bastion, bf3 don't think that should even be in the list, love fps games on-line but mw and bf3 just don't do anything for me, must be getting old. lol

19. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

20. sinner666999

sinner666999 What's a Dremel?

How is it FPS titles keep making the top of any chart? Each one is just a graphical and physics improvement over the other nothing more. But, to each their own.

Tags: Add Tags