1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Need a new Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sjhujh, 21 Dec 2011.

1. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

So I'm with orange and the supplied Netgear router is a bit pants... The main problem we are having with it is that there is a complete loss of signal downstairs (we don't have a massive house) which is annoying.

I have no idea which router to replace it with. I tried a D-Link DSL-2740B but that keeps dropping the connection to the internet.

Any suggestions people?

Oh I'm with Orange for the broadband too...

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Billion 7800n

Never drops out for me ever. Has QoS if you need it... vlan, vpn, ddns if you need it. Can be an access point. I use it for my firewall and haven't had any problems.

I've never had a good router made by Linksys, Netgear or Belkin. They've always been total dogs dinner requiing occasional reboots or at worst just totally failing. Linksys in particular have a poor record with me.

EDIT: Forgot to say all D-Link ones I've had have been doa. I might just have bad luck with the things.

towelie likes this.
  3. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

that Billion one looks good, if a bit pricey... this might be a bit mean but as the router is for my parents who are unlikely to pay me for it or show much gratitude I'm loathe to spend more than 50 quid...

Theres this one Billion 7700N that seems more in the price range... although that 7800N looks awesome... perhaps when I replace my own I'll go for that...

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Have a look for some reviews of it. I personally like the QoS options when sharing a house with other broadband users, which even the 7700N seems to have.

I like Billion and Mikrotik as they seem more imbued with industrial performance and functionality, rather than tick box aesthetics and the ability to plug in a USB hdd. In the case of Linksys, they seem to think just writing CISCO on the side will be sufficient marketing to prompt a purchase sometimes. Although that might be a bit of a lie as I'm sure some Linksys ones you could flash with custom firmware... so there might be some fun there if they work for longer than a week; the average time a Linksys product has worked for me. But then again, they'd hardly market them as "Hey, you can take all our **** off here and make this thing better!" I'd imagine.

Still, it's been years since I've had a proper foray into the products available. I'm surprised there has been no other suggestions.

5. TrickOn

TrickOn What's a Dremel?

I've found TP-Link routers to have a lot of features for not a lot of money, well worth checking out.
    I've got a wireless router for the internet, and an access point for hooking up my xbox/tv at the other end of the house.
    Well worth the money - never had any issues with it (although the AP came with an EU plug - but that was the shop's fault :p)

6. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

+ rep for law99

Although expensive that router looks like the nuts VLAN yes please SPI yes please.

Can you see thing in real time hitting the firewall?

Most of the other feature seem standard on the £50+ routers i currently have a Linksys by Cisco WAG160N which i bought for 80 pound two maybe 3 years ago still functioning well but wireless drops off sometimes and does not have a vast amount of feature like above.

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

TP-Link, Billion and d-link are usually safe bets. I got fed up with a succession of shitty routers(first BT's, then Netgear, then another) so we've got one of Billion's v. expensive routers (~£100 iirc) and it has worked perfectly ever since.

8. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

It does look as if the billion 7800n is a firm favourite of people around the internets, maybe i might be able to pick one up cheep in the new year or off erbay if not i think I will go for the 7700n...

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=219&model=TD-W8960N#spec] TP-Link TD-W8960N this seems to be written of pretty well too...

I tried out a D-Link before I posted here and the router was awful it just kept dropping the connection and was a pain in the arse!

also whats in annex B and annex M? as TP link have two models which looks to be similar but one says its annex b and the other annex m....

Last edited: 22 Dec 2011
  9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

No real time firewall or proper monitoring :(

I have literally never had it drop connection. It's the belkin adapter that I have if it ever does. I hate wireless anyway. I only have it while I'm staying at my mums. Back to my flat in the new year where we have a colo with vpn and are technically an ISP. Which it is also the perfect budget router for. Once I am up on all the technical stuff, we might start hosting next year sites, rather than having essentially a really expensive sling box and torrent server. :lol:

10. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Wow thats pretty cool maybe i should host my site from you, you don't have an FTP do you??
    Tempting to download stuff via you encrypted and safer i'd give you a login to mine but my upload currently just under a MB so would'nt do you any favours.But if your interested.