1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

about 10 months to build it?
    anyway man, thi is one of the most awesome mods i've seen - it doesn't look like simply 'form over function' like many mods, yet oozes style and 'form' :).

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:) Thanks Kris not 10 solid months but just 10 months from begining to end :D so it was a part timer but put some full days into it & many partial days & even some nights when I was restless :D, had quite a few pauses with life stuff & waiting for bits :D I take my time when doing a new design now so I get it right for when I call it completed, had a bit to learn on this one also so had some difficulties getting it to the end, mostly the curved window & then a clamping solution which worked & looked good, the metal work was nice & straight forward though & I now get on with acrylic a lot more than I used to :D in fact I enjoy working it now, cuts so nicely on the scroll saw :).

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Just ran through what this cost for what was used, I'll ignore the bits that ended up in my scrap collection :D & this is in buying 1 off pieces or small orders & nice fresh materials so not going around scrap yards where I might have found some of the needed materials at a better price etc but that is something I should give a try.

£99 alu sheet
    £20 alu bars
    £48 copper sheet/rod
    £10 mirror polished stainless steel sheet
    £80 acrylic
    £10 bolts
    £20 helicoils
    £5 Metal lacquer - used a full bottle
    £15 Satinising mops - completely used them up
    £4 Acrylic adhesive - only used a little out of a £20 tin
    £10 Primer/paint - for pci/io piece still have plenty left

Total
    £321 Not bad I think :).

Price for hardware at current time but using the other weeks hdd prices.

Corsair AX850
    MDPC-x sleeving
    MSI P67A-GD65 B3
    Intel 2500K
    Prolimatech megahalems
    Kingston Hyper X 2x4GB 1600 ddr3 9,9,9,28
    GTX 580
    Auzentech prelude x-fi
    Corsair force series 3 120GB ssd
    6 HDD
    9 Fans

£1600 Ouch I didn't realise I had such an expensive rig until working it out to be honest with doing incremental upgrades though so don't feel the full impact :D but I remember buying my first crappy beige barely upgradable pc complete with snake pit at £1200 about 13 years ago so it really doesn't seem so bad :D.

But didn't buy everything at once as I don't have that kinda money, the hdd's optical & sound card are from my previous system also :).

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

was chatting to Kovoet today about the price of PC's funny enough, 16 years ago my 1'st one cost me £1100, today for the same money you'll still get a kick arse system. Thats not modded obviously.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very true & parts don't need to be top end parts depending on what you do with it all, mini ITX is fine for a good range of things even, slightly tempted to make a stealthlow from an alternative universe, a mini one :D bet I've got the materials to do it too from the scraps :D:rock:.

:) Just thought I'd work out what it all cost, should have done it at the end of the log really to avoid a bump like this but ah well :p price of the case would have been horribly high to have it done professionally but doing it myself it just comes down to the cost of materials & disposable bits so far easier to swallow :D I remember some wanted to know a while ago & that I'd update when it's done :D but the components cost ouch ouch ouch :hehe: shouldn't need to upgrade for a good while again now anyway & can just keep moving the hardware into each new case (if it's good enough :D) :).

In the words of the schwarz dude "I'll be back" when I start a new rig but keep tuned in to others logs :).

6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

No matter how expensive the hardware you put into this baby is, it's never going to match the value of this case! :thumb:

7. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I've followed this build here and on OCUK but never posted :blush: It's just such an impressive build with great attention to detail and one of the ones that encouraged me to have a go at my own much smaller project :)

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:) Thanks Nutman :thumb:.

Thanks bugeye :) & the more modders in the world the merrier mate :clap::thumb:.

No more bumps from me now :D I know it would have been better to add that cost bit on my last update but it skipped my mind :blush: & it came back when I was weighing up how to buy a couple of new tools :D.

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

My vote and support for you bro, you really deserve it for all that effort and for the support and friendship!!!! Merry Xmas!!!! :)

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'm bored of saying it, but this thing has to win. Top 3 minimum. Have a nice Christmas Wayne and good luck in the MOTY.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2011
  11. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Congratulations on your MOTY 2011 nomination Waynio!!

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers Alex :) Merry crimbo & an awesome new year mate :D:rock:.

:lol: I've felt the same feeling like I'm repeating myself like a drunk in peoples logs :hehe: as for placings, it's totally up in the air with all those awesome projects :D:rock: cheers Jeff mate & same to you Merry crimbo & an awesome new year :rock::D.

Cheers l3p :D it's an awesome one :D it's good to have made something a bit better this time around :) Merry crimbo & an awesome new year to you too mate :rock::D.

I'll put up some concept shots ASAP about my next project :D.

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Merry Christmas Wayne! You already have my vote- you may not have seen it- but I've left a vouch for you in the mod of the year thread.
    It's been a great pleasure.

14. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

You got my vote mate!!

15. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Can't wait!
    Oh Marry X-mas :clap:

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Merry Crimbo KidMod :D you too have an awesome new year :rock: & thaks for the vote :) I'll try to get some shots up today of project next, however it's been set back a little with getting a IPS screen :D couldn't resist, been after a quality screen for quite a while & it looks like this cuts it nicely :D.

Thank you quiz_kid, shame yours isn't in there too, looks like more than a few awesome projects slipped past :(, probably be in next years moty, same happened to me with air cube in moty 2009 it got missed but got included in 2010 which I think explains why some projects are from a bit further back than 2011 keep on cranking the awesomeness out though mate :rock::D.

:D Cheers, I'll try to get them up today :).

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

And I did :D.

2012 Project which is temporarily called Lean & Green :D.

First part of 3 is an ok capacity HTPC for light computer stuff & XBMC which I aim to use no more than 50w electric.

There will also be a joining piece for connecting the HTPC to a gaming rig which I'm not showing to keep some surprise :D.

Here's some concept shots of the low power HTPC I been working on the past month or so :), not a solid month but little bits here & there, if I put a solid month into a design it would look crazy :hehe: & all the parts slot in/out including the custom fan :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure it's not to everyone's taste again but it'll do the job for me nicely :).

Been saving up & could have bought the parts & materials for the HTPC but bought a 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitor yesterday so set the project back a bit :blush: but woooo this is the type of quality screen I've been looking for :rock::D been trying to get a good monitor for ages now going for cheaper ones & being dissatisfied over & over so IPS was my last hope for a good screen which is easy on the eyes & it looks real good & after calibrating it it uses less electric than the Asus 23" 120hz screen I just ditched :thumb:, it's a Hazro brand from OCUK & was on special offer & should be on offer until the 28th December, can't see any faults neither which I'm very much relieved about :D.

Depends on how much of a scrooge I am for when I have the money ready to get started, could be some time in January or up to March :eeek:.

18. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Put the attention to detail into that than you have into Stealthlow and you may well have raised the bar for a third time, only time will tell.
    Mod on my friend.

19. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

I actually love small builds now :p
    Can't wait to see this one!

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Congratulation on the MOTY nomination and for a magnifisent build. I havn't fully decided on all my votes yet but you was my first choise for one of them for shure.

Good Luck mate