1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I think I'll really have my work cut out with the next one :D maybe a 2 year project, depends how difficult it is & funds but do want to keep it lowish cost :D to be honest having a bit of a set back gives me chance to get busy with the rest of the design, the main difficulties I had with Stealthlow was learning new techniques, anything which was flat was nice & straight forward :D but after what I learnt with the curves I think I'll manage it better from now, think :D.
    Cheers bud :).

Looks small now but when it becomes a dual rig it might be as high as stealthlow but I think it will be an interesting form anyway :D but it will be modular so the HTPC can be carried off whenever, reason for the dual rig is most of the time I only need a low performance rig & it's quite a small amount of time when I need a performance rig so having a 50w system for most of 24/7 use instead of a power hog which idles at 210w & when gaming 350w it'll cut my pc electric bill down from £200 per year down to £64 which allows for 60 hours each month of performance computer use, was the recent how much does you rig cost to run blog recently on bit-tech, got me interested in finding out what it costs & was a bit surprised so the main reason of this project as well as needing an excuse to make something new :D.

Can't wait to put the scroll saw to use though :D.

Thanks mate, means a lot :blush::rock::D I can't believe how awesome Get a Life is & keeps getting better :jawdrop::D just incredible stuff.

2. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Nice concept Wayne. Looks interesting. Congrats on the well deserved MOTY nomination. You are making me envious of that monitor. A 27" IPS monitor would be just too sweet.

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

So you decided to reveal the next MOTY mod already? :thumb: Looks damn good! :)

4. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Excellent render. The design looks great. I wouldn't put the top cover on though, I would leave it off, and let the motherboard sit out in the open or cover it with some cage looking design.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks voigts :) I've put another 18 or so hours into the design since showing those, really got tuned into doing a load :lol: but have to really if I want it to be a dual rig, I might end up not being able to keep it to myself once the full design is done, I'm garbage at surprises :D.

I was considering saving up for a Dell but thought I'd check out these Hazro screens, far cheaper but same tech but the one I have only has 1 dual link dvi port & no on screen display but they come factory calibrated so just tap the brightness down a little & it's gorgeous, I spend too much time around the computer so was definitely worth getting, cheapest dells I've seen new with guarrantees etc £550, with average of £650 the Hazro was £370 on special offer, still a lot but I'd say well worth it & even a bargain compared to a dell.

I'm gutted you some how got missed in moty, quintessence is gorgeous & awesome packed out with an excellently layed out config, air cube missed a year too so can imagine it being in next years I hope but stil think it should have been in this one, definitely too good to not be in a moty, there was a few completed ones which are awesome but got missed :(, think I'll PM combatus from now on when a good one has completed just so he knows & it doesn't get missed.

:D Tradition after air cube :lol::) Thanks Angel, that is 1 3rd of it :lol: wow I've got my work cut out with it especially the more I progress the design :hehe: definitely shaping up to be very unique, just hope I can make it :D could take over a year, depends how difficult it turns out to be :eek: been getting a silly idea I'll be able to make things a lot quicker with the scroll saw, hope so :D when buying it I was thinking of it as a manual laser cutter :hehe:.

Thanks cleveland, I agree I like it more with the top off :D & with the further design I put into it the past day & night, totally ready for bed :lol:, have thought about a grill type design for it but I don't know how to do complex cutouts on curved surfaces with a lack of design skill so find it easier to do the patterns in 2d & print, stick, cut but I think I won't be able to keep it to myself when it's complete, don't seem to be able to do teasers like many other modders, these end of log previews when I have a new idea are as close to teasers as I do :D.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This seems like going back in time to last year when the first pics of stealthlow appeared on the back end of the Aircube log and the end result was stunning. So here we go again...Subbed..lol First one in means I get a front row seat..Where's the lady with the ice creams, she should have been round by now.:D

I may take a leaf out of your book and reveal my next build at the end of log, it's been siting in bits in a box for months, might be due an airing.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2011
  7. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Congrats with the nomination Waynio.I simply love your build and im also looking forward to see your next project.Have a nice Xmas and keep on modding. :D

8. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

Congrats for the nomination, Waynio friend.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks good man, but for an ITX it's HUGE.:lol: What all are you sneaking into the insides?

10. bulldogjeff

I think some one might be sneaking a bit of water cooling in there:dremel:

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe::thumb: Cheers Jeff :D, & why not post it up :rock: going DIY rarely goes 100% perfectly to plan & the curve on stealthlow is definitely a little different to the concept I did but got it pretty close & the end result was way better than the concept thanks to some ideas & suggestions from onlookers which came to mind or were introduced while building it :D, came soooo close to scrapping the curved window though :eeek::D.

Thanks Paslis :thumb: can't wait to get modding again, my hands don't idle too well :lol: merry christmas mate :).

Thanks mate, it's awesome to be in it again :D makes christmas cheer more cheery :D.

Thanks Cheaps :) yeah, not tiny like they usually are :lol::D here's the hardware it'll hold :).
    4 HDD, 1 SSD, mini-ITX mobo, low profile sound card, 140mm custom fan, full size optical, 350w super high efficiency ATX PSU & is all slottable which adds a smidge extra height :D & a gaming system will go on top of it :lol:.

Here it is with the joining piece & work WIP on the gaming system part, after mentioning the long long designathon I did I slept for near 18 hours :lol: so fully charged for another couple or few days :D, still shorter than Stealthlow though but if I go with this layout I'll be restricted to the height of cpu cooler to 130mm unless I water cool it (yeah I know ME & watercooling what the heck :eeek::naughty:) :hehe:.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still quite a way to go on a final design & still aiming for slotting pieces on everything :).

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Hahaa bang on the money :D:rock::thumb:.

13. bulldogjeff

Have you thought about the cooling yet, or where you are going to mount the rads,because that front fan has given me an idea.

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I would have liked to go all air again but if I keep it the same width & keep it low I'd have to go for a top blower heatsink which don't cool as good as tower coolers so I'll see how a dual or even single rad, res & pump could get in somewhere without obstructing other parts, it'll be a bit cramped if I do though unless I mount a rad above the mobo, the gaming system is in early WIP though in those shots & I work out the placements of the parts & then build structure around it all, just seems like the best way to design a layout to me.

I did consider going flat bed style though which would make it pretty challenging to make look good but is doable & still might happen even if it does end up looking like a big T shape thing :D.

:hehe: Cheers Alex :D "I wear a rubber at all times because it's necessity" :lol::hehe: please tell me that song was on a comedy show at some point & not in the charts :lol: although it really wouldn't surprise me if it was in the charts :D.

16. bulldogjeff

If you're going to make a feature of that front fan, how about putting a 200mm one in there and slapping a 200mm square rad in behind it. You'll have similar cooling abilities to a 3X120 (360) rad. It might mean making the build slightly wider, but if you want to keep the size down it would save a hell of a lot of space, plus it' gives the rad ideal placement... Something for you to ponder mate.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Could do that but might be restricting what GPU's I could put in, at the moment it would allow for the largest GPU's available but I decided if I do water cool I'll make a 4th part which is external but fixes to the main rig & with quick release fittings :thumb: would allow for a fleeping amazing water cooled config :D could also add another level on top of the gaming rig if external isn't a good idea :hehe:.

I'm all designed out at the moment so I'll get back onto it very soon :D.

18. @nton

@nton What's a Dremel?

Congrats for the nomination :thumb::D hard work pays off, i think that case looks really cool :)

19. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Thanks Wayne. It is what it is. Of course I'm a bit disappointed at not being in MOTY, but there were a lot of really incredible mods this year. Yours is one of those that definitely belongs here.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks @nton :thumb: just a pity the idea didn't come of adding support for a mini-ITX rig into it but with me not it's opened the door to do another project :D I could mod stealthlow but don't want to really, want it to stay as it is :).

Thanks voigts, I'm at least happy you got a feature on a front page of a popular tech mag :jawdrop:, that is really an outstanding achievement in modding mate :rock: which is all the more reason I'm baffled it got missed, it's an oh well moment :blah:.