1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Corsair Vengance heatsink clearance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Duffer, 26 Dec 2011.

1. Duffer

Duffer What's a Dremel?

A little earlier, i ordered a load of new PC bits for myself; 2500k, ga-z68ap-d3, 8gb Corsair Vengance Jet Black and a Gelid Tranquilo.

It's only now occured to me that i may experience problems with the RAM heatsink not fitting under the CPU cooler :duh:

What is the consensus? Do you reckon it'll fit? Or should i get on the phone and try to amend my order?

Merry Christmas, all!

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

It will fit as long as you install the memory before the cooler, and just to be safe, don't install the memory in the closest slot.

3. barney magru

barney magru What's a Dremel?

I'm in same position, picking up components as of tonight for new system. I went with the gskill ripjaws (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) because of the height of the corsair heatsink. Seen as both supposed to be spot on, went with the lower heatfins just incase causes any issue

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

You should be okay, check which slots are for dual channel on the board manufacturers website

5. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

I have 8GB Vengence in black also and the 1st stick is snog with the gelid tranquillo, by this I mean its clearly adding tension but memory is fine as its being read by computer etc.

6. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Couldnt you have just ordered the low profile vengeance? (Unless of course you did, in which case you shouldnt have any issues at all.) i havent seen a heatsink yet that doesnt clear standard height RAM sticks

Elaborate heatsinks on RAM are massively overated imo.

7. Duffer

Duffer What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the input, all!

I've bought this memory. I didn't choose it because of the heatsink - it came as part of a "today only" offer. I was planning to but the XMS memory...

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

A Gelid Tranquillio will probably obscure the 1st memory slot, use the other 2 and you'll be fine.
    It's fouled this slot in my old AM3 build, my previous 1366 build(asus P6T deluxe V2) and both of the MSI 1155 build's in my signature.

Of course standard height modules will fit fine.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2011
  9. lil chris

lil chris What's a Dremel?

It depends which motherboard you are using duffer.I am using a Asus P8P67 and on that the reccomended sockets are A2 & B2 which are the farthest from the cpu.I have the same problem with the cooler, I have just bought 8GB of vengance 9-9-9-24 memory sticks on today only to replace my 4Gb from my original build earlier in the year. Unfortunately I forgot my 4gb is 8-8-8-24 or I could have at least used one stick in the B1 socket as single channel and had 10GB. Anyway 8Gb is big enough for me at the moment.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I bought a Z68A-GD55 and dual channel is the 1st and 3rd occupied or all 4. So I bought 2 LP vengeance for some 16GB madness!

11. Duffer

Duffer What's a Dremel?

OK, i've checked the Motherboard manual on the Gigabyte website. The memory slots to use are numbers 1 and 3 (working from right-to-left). So the slot closest to the CPU will be empty.

Sounds like i'll be ok then! Thanks for the input, chaps.

12. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Just pull the heatsinks off, just prise the end with a small screwdriver, once you have them off you will see there was no thermal paste between the surfaces just some white sticky pads.
    They are just for show, makes no difference at all.
    But keep them, as you would need to re-fit for a warranty claim.

13. Duffer

Duffer What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much for the info! That's the first time i've heard that... I'll have a good look when they get here. Buy yourself a pint, from me. :thumb:

14. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Do Corsair inspect items before replacing them to see if someone has been prising heatsinks off with screwdrivers?

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Makes me glad I use liquid cooling.

16. Duffer

Duffer What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the help, chaps.

Just a little update for future reference - Everything fits just fine!

The memory slot closest to the CPU isn't used with 2 stick of RAM. So the cooler fits just fine. I has to install the cooler first, followed by the RAM, and finally the cooler fan. A bit conveluted, but it all fitted in the end.

Nice shiny new PC to play with, now! I;m just waiting for Crysis to download over my pittiful internet connection, now...