1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 22 Dec 2011.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

I wish review sites would consider the statistics of hardware surveys, such as Valve's hardware survey which I've linked below, before choosing various video card makes and models for benchmarking comparisons.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

and this one;

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

When reviewing hardware, please benchmark it against not only last seasons models, but also the most popular currently used video cards out there, at this time of writing;

ATI Radeon HD 5770
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    ATI Radeon HD 5850
    ATI Radeon HD 5870
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

This would benefit a large portion of readers who don't own the latest video card, making the results much more personal and useful to them . You don't have to cater for every video card out there, but it'd be nice to see the popular older cards always kept in your bench marks so that people can see the difference.

/rant

If any readers agree with this, cut & paste it onto every review/benchmark website until our voices are heard!

/revolution

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

If it's at all possible, I'd really like Bit-Tech to ask AMD whether this is AMD policy for the price to be this high in the UK, or whether it's simply (r)e-tailers abusing early adopters.

3. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

If it is, depending on the price point of Nvidias forthcoming offering it would make me pretty resentful of ATI if I had my foot in the door to start with.
    And if it`s just the internet bandits cashing in surely ATI would want to have a word with them from 2nd hand bad publicity this could cause them? Something like that could make me swear off them for life (or at least a few generations).

I`m waiting and watching to see what all happens as I NEED an upgrade but i dont really want to throw my money away. I think if they`d adopted the 300- just over 300 with designer coolers o`clocks on them they could have cleaned up a hell of alot more than they will with such a high pre-ported starting price.

4. smartkid

smartkid What's a Dremel?

Still waiting for gtx 600/700

5. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

These cards scale REALLY well by the looks of it which is another thing to consider...I'll be waiting for Nvidias offering but even so, this card offers awesome performance for anyone wanting to upgrade now.

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

+1

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Or you could use Anandtechs Bench section of their website and compare your current card to almost any other card out there. Yes?

8. woods

woods What's a Dremel?

Me to but as I am only using 1680 1050 19" I might wait until I upgrade my screen

9. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Or Tom's Hardware GPU hierarchy but it would be nice for Bit-Tech (who's opinion I value more than most others) to chuck in some older cards, CPU's etc to give benchmarks for older kit.

10. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

It would've made more sense to bring back XTX, than FX

79xx XTX/XT
    78xx Pro
    77xx LE

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

God no...

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I can just see it now:

XFX Radeon HD7970 XTX 4G LTE Vapor-X SuperOC Pro 3GB

...with free copy of Batman: Arkham City!

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

and a glass of water for getting it all right in one breath :D

14. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Price drop from $525 to $475 apparently. It remains to be seen whether this saving is passed to consumers or not. The target RRP of $550 has not been altered as of yet.

Source

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Another 2GB 3GB mistake on the overclocking section

"6fps higher than the HD 7970 2GB’s stock performance".

I look forward to seeing the 7770, as that's what i'll probably upgrade to. However since AMD changed the naming scheme, and the numbers are supposed to represent the same performance as cards of previous generations with the same model, does this mean the 7770 will offer the same performance as the 6770/5770 and for the true mid level performance should be a number slightly higher?

Why did they have to change a perfectly fine naming system.... :(

16. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Can't find any prices anywhere, no pre-orders anywhere to be found, scan overclockers, etc.

17. FantasticGanton

FantasticGanton What's a Dremel?

Hi just wanted some thoughts please guys.
    Got a new overclocked bundle from scan this week.
    Cpu,motherboard and ram. I have a gtx580 was wondering go for the gtx 590
    or wait a couple of months and see what the new nvidias are like maybe even getting a sli setup.

18. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

The 7770 will fill the same slot as the 6770/5770, and the 6770 has been released as the OEM-only 7670. Thus, expect 6870-ish performance from the 7770 and 6970-ish performance from the 7870.

You won't find pre-orders on most hardware. Never sure why, but I think it's to allow last minute price changes and so on.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Sounds good to me, but seems like they've reverted to the older naming system then :wallbash:

20. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Why oh why was a GTX580 3GB not in the benchmarks?! Seems a major oversight especially at 1600p.

Want to see 7970 3GB CF vs GTX580 3GB SLI at 1600p in something like BF3 Ultra with everything maxed out, that will give them a real good test.

Tags: Add Tags