1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows DRM virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by russ555, 27 Dec 2011.

1. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I couldn't think of anywhere better.

Is it possible for the codec or DRM of a video file to become a virus if it is shared? and would it be legal in the US or UK?

The reason I ask is I just got a message from someone saying they are thinking of using such a thing in their videos. The message said "Imagine an encoding matrix codec that forces you to lower your anti-virus protection to receive a file and then, if the file doesnt come with a system generated Key...BOOM...hiroshima......"

I tried googling but couldn't find any mention of it.

2. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

I am pretty sure it wouldnt be legal

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Really? :rolleyes:

4. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

It wouldn't be legal, but neither is illegal file sharing. But wrecking a computer because they didn't want to pay 79p for a song is a little OTT.

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm pretty sure in the UK it'd be a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act.

6. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

wasn't even aware there was a computer misuse act!

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

So we all agreed that viruses are illegal?

8. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

what gets me is.....

if people are good enough to cause distruction like such mention virus, why dont they do something useful like get a job in computing and do good instead of harm.

it just sickens me to see such things happen as to make something to destroy someones life/possesions - about 10 years ago i got the chynobyl virus on my old advent 8595 (pcworld own brand) pc it caused me nothing but problems.

seriously what is the point

9. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

DRM doesnt work. My opinion is that destructive DRM would not work either. More likely it would deter people from trying the content.

Go DRM free and open.

10. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

I dunno why I know this but "I may" have seen a few xxx rated films that you cant watch without going to such and such a website to get/pay for the codec to play. This is a little play on DRM and can be circumnavigated easily enough. Now adding anything to a pc that asks you to lower security is a serious alarm bells moment. As soon as anything that is designed and created to destroy/damage equipment/installations it becomes illegal under the computer misuse act which was stated above.

If your friend does make this it will only hit a small target and be traced back rather quickly, it could also be traced back to you now as well if created as you have mentioned knowledge of it which kind of implicates you in the matter and the lovely internetz would have just cached this page too for future reference. The virus also reminds me of a type of ransomware, if you dont have the key your data gets destroyed, so ransomware and a worm from 1 file. Surely whoever downloads this extra file will notice the .dll's sitting there and the batch/installer to start it.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

It'd be like selling bread, which unless it got scanned for at the till, became poison. Someone steals it, eats it and dies. That would still be murder.

Computer Misuse Act
    1. unauthorised access to computer material.
    2. unauthorised access with intent to commit or facilitate commission of further offences.
    3. unauthorised modification of computer material.

So no matter really what the virus did, you'd be breaking one of the points, if it caused a total system wipeout, then I would say you'd probably be at point 3.

12. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

My first thought was that the computer misuse act would be against this sort of thing but I thought I would check.

Apparently it is funded by some of the big adult film producers and the 9 biggest filehosting companies.

13. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

I can see it becoming one very big mess if it does happen!

All DRM music that I paid for and downloaded legally a few years ago doesn't work any more due to various issues (won't even think about buying it now if it has DRM) and I can easily see things getting very messy (no not "yoghurt") if something similar happens to someone who has downloaded and paid for it legally and then it screws up and wipes their pc

14. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Even if they virus-'protect' copyrighted pieces of work, the guys at [insert torrent site here] will still find a way to disable it.

15. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

This was my first thought. My second thought was how anyone could do it with just a few clicks and some patience. So it would seem this DRM has failed before it is even used.

Plus there will no doubt be instances of it not working properly and wiping peoples computers. They won't be able to do anything about it though because there will be a warning hidden away in the ToS for the site or application.