1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Looking for an SSD to use as cache drive with IRST.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by format, 30 Dec 2011.

1. format

format What's a Dremel?

As per title, I'm getting a z68 board (specifically a Gigabyte Z68X UD5 B3 ) soon and apparently this IRST is worth having.

As such I'm looking for a pretty small SSD to use in conjuction with my many hard-drives.

I've never owned an SSD before so pretty new to this. Any ideas?

Appreciated.

2. zoea

zoea What's a Dremel?

From what I've read you would need SLC SSDs for this (like the 20gb Intel 311 made for the purpose) ideally as they have a better lifetime.

However you might get away with any old SSD. Max size would be 64GB. The Crucial M4 is a good choice here if you believe it will last long enough. I haven't tried SRT myself though.

good luck

3. format

format What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply.

Just had a look at that 311 drive - seems so wrong to pay £80+ for such a small SSD. I could just as well spend £100 and get an SSD big enough for my windows install surely.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Yep. Having a cache drive isn't worth it really.

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

You could get the OCZ Synapse 64GB drive for around £100. It's designed to be a cache drive but it does use other software for caching but it's meant to be easier to set up than Intels RST.
    It does mean you don't have to have a Z68 board either.

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

The ocz one, does that mean you can just install it on any old installation, and be able to use caching, even on xp?

The reason is, i've heard intel's is a bugger to install and I would like to not have to do a win7 install just yet. Can't quite afford it yet.