1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is the AMD 960T a good budget cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewbaccas_nan, 2 Jan 2012.

1. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

i can't find a lot of info about this chip, I wondered how it performance in gaming mainly, or is there anything other good budget cpu's, currently my Q6600 is showing its age....

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Should be plenty of info on this chip, myself and a few others have it, specs in my sig, theres a good chance if free cores and a good overclock

3. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Yes 960t is an awesome chip, i bought it for and only for its unreal overclocking and extra 2 cores. The 2 extra cores are a somewhat "given" however whether they are stable in another issue, depends on the CPU itself. As far as overclocking go's, under decent air, it will go to 3.8 on stock vcore, with watercooling like h80, reports of it going to 4/4.2 with slight increases in vcore. Under full water probably get to 4.5+ at about 1.45v.

4. chewbaccas_nan

Yeah I've tried googling it, only to read some pointless articles. Ebuyer customer reviews seems good, eleven 5 star review

5. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

Well i dont have the 960T but i have only heard good things about it! so yea i would say its a good budget chip

6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Only worth it if the 960T is noticeably better than the 955 Phenom II.

7. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

It really won't be that much of an improvement over a Q6600 which is still a decent CPU.

8. chewbaccas_nan

Interesting...

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Anything to back that up with?

10. chewbaccas_nan

So its not worth building an amd build over my Q6600?

11. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

I mean you can get 6 cores for the price of 4, overclock that chip until cows come home, to me there is no comparison lol, probably because I hate the amount of money involved to get a decent intel rig :wallbash:

12. chewbaccas_nan

Yeah, I can't justify shelling out £100's for a PC, the amd route seems just as good. But with a cheaper price tag. Is the chip easy to overclock? Also I notce AoE you had a motherboard for sale, Is it a good one? I read the evo is a good mobo

13. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

You want to go from the Q6600, one of the best chips of it's time, to a mediocre 960T that retails for over £100? If you've got that much cash to waste on both the chip and a new motherboard, unless you're a die hard AMD fan, save up for a Sandy Bridge quad. That's a decent upgrade and good value for money.

14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I can hit 4.4Ghz under water on my 1100T @1.575V

4.2Ghz is a good solid overclock. I've had a go for 4.5Ghz and even chucking voltage at it didn't work. I think however it's my ram holding me back. Seems to be that AMD rigs are very sensitive to what ram you use.

15. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Yea i do mate, I got interest from another member, but yea brill board, future proof, practically brand new, everything with it, bought few weeks ago recepit etc. UEFI Bios makes overclocking easy which comes in the board. Overall check on asus site, one of their best and for a bargin price im selling

16. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

17. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

960t is £92inc, in the 1st one, the phenom wins overall, half those applications most users wont need plus phenom owns it for gaming as seen in those tests

18. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

If you're lucky you can take a chance and unlock it, but the 960T's are quads. And the price isn't a budget price when you realize how slow it is. Overclocking a turd doesn't make it shiny and all. To give an idea how slow this is compared to modern CPU's, even the non-budget 6 core version is about tied with a dual core "budget" intel i3 for the sysmark CPU benchmarks, that costs less than £100 (cheaper than the AMD 960T quad). Any decent modern quad core will blow this thing away.

19. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

all the reviews ive seen this chip unlocks to 6 as its a thuban. as for benchmarking i wapped an i7 forget the model though in cinebench and that intel was a £250 chip.

20. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

No way Id spend £100 on a phenum II quad coming from a Q6600