1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Watt PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PQuiff, 3 Jan 2012.

1. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

see what i did there.....ok ill leave the room.

Ok building a new i7 rig
    2700k, 16 gig, 580gtx, SSD

Looking for a decent PSU 700 watt what would you peeps recomend (£80 max). Modular would be a nice bonus.

Was looking at the corsair 700watt gaming one, anyone had any experience with these.

2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

i think you should spend a little more on a PSU - you are sticking it in a rig of high performance parts. just my 2 cents.

4. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

not to bothered connection wise...usual. would like long cables as im getting a large case.

i was hoping that 80 quid would get you a decent psu, i seem to have to spend more and more on PSUs are the years go by.

Im might just skip the modual and get a decent non modular and just hide the cables.

5. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

Antec Truepower New TPN-650 80Plus Bronze Modular £65
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...us-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx
    There is also the 750W version available for ~£78.

XFX 650W XXX Edition 80Plus Bronze Modular £70
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...80plus-certified-semi-modular-single-rail-psu
    The non modular Core Edition is £65 and has longer cables. You can also have the 750 & 850W versions for below £80.

Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W 80Plus Silver Modular £80
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/775w...plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx-v23

OCZ ZT Series 750W 80Plus Bronze Modular £80
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w...ified-85-efficiency-140mm-fan-5-year-warranty

6. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

So umm, why are you looking for a 700w PSU? A high end 500-600w PSU will run that system and never come close to full load. Id look at 550-600w ones, as that'll save a bit of money. You can get plenty of good modular ones for £80 in that watt range.

7. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

True but the closer to (even a decent) PSU's rated max you go the higher the ripple.

E.g: Ripple on an Enermax Revolution 87+ running at it's rated max:

[​IMG]

Ripple on the same PSU at 50% of its rated max:

[​IMG]

In most cases, a mid-range 800W PSU should produce less ripple at 400W output than a top end 500W PSU at 400W output.

Result? Better stability, better overclocks, better spike rejection from the grid, and better component life. Obviously, YMMW.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2012
  8. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Personally I would go for a Corsair HX650W modular PSU or the equivalent Seasonic PSU.

Corsair PSU's are manufactured by Seasonic so by using Seasonic you might save a bit of money compared to Corsair just because of the "branding" when in fact it is the same PSU.

9. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Some Corsair PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic, others by CWT. Even where a Corsair PSU is manufactured by Seasonic it would not be correct to say it is the same PSU. It may be very similar but I understand there are differences.

Incidentally I thought that Seasonic PSUs were more expensive than Corsair PSUs.

10. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

I should have indicated that I was referring to the 2nd user market rather than brand new. When they sell 2nd user the Seasonics seem to go a lot cheaper, I saw a Seasonic 900W modular PSU go for around £35 the other day which is way below what a 2nd user Corasir 850HX would go for.

The "badge boys" love the Corsair HX series even though it does not represent value in the 2nd user market compared to others.

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

you know just enough to be dangerous, don't you? lol...yeah, the higher the voltage, whether it's 30%, 50% or 100% of max rated load that a psu (quality or not) runs the higher the ripple...will the two shots you gave make any difference at all in the stability of that unit? absolutely not...

atx spec for the 12v+/- is 120 mV, and since you got that shot from guru, you should know that while not the best, was very good...

so while your point is technically true, your arguement that buying a quality 600 watt unit is bad because it will "suffer" from higher ripple is inaccurate...the levels of ripple those quality units see will do nothing to the components it feeds...

as tonpal pointed out, corsair doesn't get it's psu's solely from seasonic, but seasonic is the oem of the hx series i believe, and that would be my recommendation as well...

12. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

13. trig

trig god's little mistake

nice find...