1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage The HP Micro Server Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tibby, 22 Nov 2011.

1. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

It all depends what OS you install on it, but the answer to your questions is generally yes!

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

all of the above is very possible, after all its practically a ITX computer. Your Asset uPnP and twonkymedia both have windows and linux applications.

But if you were to go the linux route i bet there are much better applications on offer than what you are running currently

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

More like Mini-DTX (it has 2 slots) :p.

And about support - it is a generic PC, usually bundled with Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation, at least i got that OS in my case. So check out if you have an application for your needs for that OS...

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

In the UK, at least from ebuyer there is no OS installed or supplied, its very much sort it yourself.

Mines running W7 atm, but i sense Ubuntu soon since everything else runs Nix in this house

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, WS2008R2 was here provided as an option as well, but an HP OEM version for 1€ extra there was no question if i should order it or not :D.

Still, it doesn't change anything about the fact, that it is a generic PC, so Cleggmeister can sleep without any fears, all he needs to do is to get some OS and everything else depends on that OS (and on the question if 1.5GHz dual core is enough for that application).

Specs seems to change a bit from coutnry to country - i paid 240€ for it (yeah, no cashback here) and i got 4GB RAM, one 250GB HDD, DVD burner and Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation in the package.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Do you have your drives setup in any kind of array? Which HTPC client are you using? I might do this to free up my Acer Reevo nettop but I would need some kind of redundancy for part of my photo's.

7. i_saw_drones

i_saw_drones What's a Dremel?

Shame the offer has finished, I was going to get one but didn't have the cash before Christmas :duh:

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

9. i_saw_drones

i_saw_drones What's a Dremel?

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

No array, was about to build an array by adding another 2x2tb drives but then some flooding occurred which has put that on hold.

I did have XBMC setup with aeon theme, worked beautifully even under windows due the requirement for blu-ray playback.

And for hassle free and controlled media management i used Ember. It allow you to pick movie posters, and add required data for the pretty integration with XBMC.

It takes a lot fussing to get it right, but well worth it in the end.

11. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Still in the box I'm afriad, I'm going to try it with FreeNAS as a backup server for my WHS as my ESATA external caddie for my 2 *2TB drives appears to have packed up and it seemed like better value for money then trying to find a replacement.

Maybe at the weekend ......

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Cheers Burnout. I used XBMC+Aeon Showmix+EmberMM on my Revo but I hate linux so the ability to run it under windows 7 would be great. Just need to work out how to set up my storage.

13. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Got three of them in the family now!
    Mines running esxi5 booting from an internal usb stick for virtualisation and then freenas inside that. Couple of random ubuntu installs for some dev stuff as-well.

Awesome little box.

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

is this on the ODD port or USB stick?

15. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Mine is still sitting at the mothers. Got it delivered there as I would be home over Xmas, but didn't drive over so couldn't bring it back! :/

Got my rebate posted in though.

What media server software is people using?

I'm tempted with the Windows Server route, but Linux is shouting to me...

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I assume you mean, how did i go about installing W7. Simples, used ubuntu to create a bootable USB drive and then copied the contents of the W7 Iso i made on to the usb drive and booted it.

Or do you mean, where did i install W7 to, and to answer that its installed on the 250GB drive that comes with the microserver, as my spare SATA port has a blu-ray drive on the other end of it.

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

So you used the eSATA port for your 250 GB HDD or is it on one of the 4 HDD bays?

Last edited: 7 Jan 2012
  18. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Quick question before I pull the trigger on one of these...

I currently have three 1 Tb drives in my PC, each contains various odds and ends including my music and film collection - they're not raided or anything and are formatted for normal PC/Win7 use. If I drop these into the HP box will I be able to access and stream the data from them as I do now from my PC? I appreciate I'll need to put an operating system on the HP to which end I propose putting Win7 on the included 250Gb drive.

Sound like a plan? I know I'll have no redundancy in the early days, but when HDD prices return to something normal I can buy 4x2Tb drives and RAID it all up, I guess?

Many thanks,

Cleggy.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

yeah that would be no problem at all.

20. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Many thanks, bought and paid for, should be here this week.

£100 cashback extended to 31st January in case anyone else in interested...