1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Recommendations For A Mouse ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Itchy Rim, 6 Jan 2012.

1. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a mouse for me?

My only criteria are good build quality, optical and cable connection to the PC, it will not be used for gaming so I do not need added functionality that is used by gamers.

Budget, up to £40?

Thx

2. aikidochris

aikidochris What's a Dremel?

3. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I don't think you can go wrong with a Logitech G400 personally. Its the replacement for the MX518 which might just be the best mouse I've ever used. Mines 5 years old and still going strong.

It's optical, wired, comfortable in the hand and lovely to use and to top it off has some extra features like thumb buttons and on the fly DPI switching. As you don't plan on gaming these extras may be a bit uncalled for but it only costs 23 quid. A steal imo.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/logitech-g400-black-gaming-mouse-8-button-3600dpi-usb

4. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Thx for the replies.

I just checked the G400 links/reviews and I forgot to put in my post that I am a "leftie" so I prefer a "neutral" mouse rather than one with an emphasis towards right handed. The G400 seems to be a "rightie" mouse?

Any good recommendations for a "neutral" handed mouse?

Itchy

5. Tomhyde1986

The G400 is indeed for righties. Thats a blow. Mice for lefties and ambidextrous mice of the optical corded flavour don't seem to be as well catered for.

You could try the Steelseries Kinzu optical:
    http://shop.steelseries.com/uk/mice.html

At 34 quid its a bit more but it is wired, optical and ambidextrous. I've never used one before so I can't vouch for the quality. Other than that you could try going down the non gaming route but browsing the Logitech site I don't see anythig shapewise I would personally buy.

Maybe worth a look.

6. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Thx for the link and for taking the time to help.

The SteelSeries Kinzu does look to be OK, albeit a bit more pricey.

If I were to relax my preference for optical and include "ball" mice would you know if there are any outstanding candidates that are ambidextrous? I do prefer optical but if there was an outstanding "ball" option I could probably live with unclogging it periodically.

Itchy

7. Tomhyde1986

I think your chances for getting a ball mouse these days probably isn't worth your time.

Do you have a particular aversion to lazer mice? I prefer optical myself but thats down to the fact the mice I've liked have been optical. I have no idea if its actually better or not.

If lazer is an option there are considerably more options out there. If lazer is a no go then I'd suggest Ebay and again stick to Logitech or possibly some of the older microsoft mice.

8. lava

lava Minimodder

If you don't need anything extra on the mouse, I would just get anything that fits your criteria from a reputable brand (2 buttons and a wheel there should be alot of options :D) and try them out at a local store if you can.

If you want to go just over for a specific lefty mouse the deathadder is a good choice (i use the right hand version) (£45ish) and it is a very good mouse but i think it is probably a bit overkill for your needs.

9. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

It shows how old my mouse is, I was not aware that there were lazer mice available, oops! :sigh:

Yes, a lazer mouse is fine, any recommendations please for an ambidextrous one now we have opened up a whole new ball park?

Itchy

10. Tomhyde1986

I'd second Lava on the "Try before you buy" mentality. You can pop into somewhere like PC world (if you can stand it) and they usually have some on display you can play with.

As we aren't talking gaming here anything by Microsoft or logitech will serve you well at least in my expereince. You can pay a hefty premium for "gaming" mice which just don't sound like they are what youa re after.

Here are Microsoft and Logitech web pages for your viewing pleasure. There are a considerable number of choices.

Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/mice
    Logitech: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/mice

Have fun. There really is a baffeling selection of them out there.

11. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Thx for all of your help. I have plenty of choice now.

Itchy

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Logitech G500 gets my vote. Custom buttons (which I use all the time, ie 'show desktop') and the ability to change the scroll wheel to super fast mode on the fly lets me skim through long forum posts with ease. Fits my big hands very well, too. Would recommend to everyone.

13. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

i got an razer abyssus its great.

14. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

I recently bought a Razer Abyssus. I'd recommend it if you don't need extras on your mouse but I haven't really tried any other mice.

It's just three buttons (left, middle/wheel, right). I find it comfortable to use and it's ambidextrous. It also only cost me £21 posted - using the best offer thing on eBay, and I think the shop I got it from has more of them.

I hate the glowing logo on it, which I assumed you could disable in software but you can't. Apparently it's easy to open up the mouse and just unplug the internal LED but I'm away from home atm without any screwdrivers. Other than that, I quite like how it looks.

It's advertised as having on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment but I can't figure out how to do that without mapping it to one of the mouse buttons, which is an issue when you only have three buttons... might just be me being an idiot though, and in any case it isn't an issue if you don't want on-the-fly.

Abyssus Picture

Ugly glowing logo picture

15. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

16. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Thx for the tip on the Razer Abyssus, it looks nice, I will jog on over to eBay and have a mosey.

17. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

The cheapest I could find one on eBay (UK) for was £23 delivered but the vendor had a bit of poor feedback on one of their most recent transactions.

Are you allowed to post the link to the seller/listing that you got the Abyssus from?

Itchy

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Cheese.

Sorry.

Anyways, I have a Razer Diamondback from a while back now. Definitely recommend Razer, lovely mice.

19. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

I don't think there's a rule against that but it looks like the seller closed the listing :( He obviously had an incorrect stock number displayed because it still says "4 available" even though the top of the page says "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

I can see one on eBay for £23 posted that doesn't have much feedback but it is 100%. Link (click).

Edit: Maybe that's the guy you were talking about, he does have neutral feedback.

Also I just thought I'd add that the top of the Abyssus is pretty nice to the touch, feels kind of rubbery.

20. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Yes, thats the seller I was looking at, if he had not got the neutral feedback about the non shipment of a very recent item I would have bought that one.

I did find the seller who had an expired listing with 4 left and sent him a message..........

Itcht