1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU £120 psu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zairs, 7 Jan 2012.

1. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Good choice. RAM is cheap at the moment and a single GPU is always going to give a more consistant output than a multiple you graphics arrangement. Also once the Nvidia Kepler GPUs hit the market the price of 28nm GPUs will stabilise. Over the next few months AMD will be looking to reap the financial benefits of being first to market with 28nm GPUs.

I would suggest upgrading your PSU before you start overclocking. I haven't seen any test results for the Jeantech but would suspect that it doesn't have the same quality of output filtering that a more expensive PSU would which does increase the risk of damage to the rest of the system if the PSU has a catastrophic failure.

2. zairs

zairs What's a Dremel?

3. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Well it is within the ATX spec which is a positive. The ripple is only just within spec though.

As I said before I wouldn't rip it out of your PC immediately but I wouldn't suggest you stress it by overclocking your CPU, particularly if it is a few years old.

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Think you can safely say im stretching mine, OCd the nuts off it today and the 12V rails dipped below ATX spec to 11.9V. Declocked it and swapped out the graphics card for something a bit less juicy. Its returned to normal now CPU 174W draw under load, GPU 337W under load :naughty: thats 511W alone then add the stuff in my sig, a new PSU was definatly required

5. zairs

zairs What's a Dremel?

ive just been fiddling with an oc for the 470. then i was gonna try the cpu, not sure if i should now though

what the best program to check the loads

Last edited: 8 Jan 2012