1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Sweet design if not a bit unusual, are you gonna have a cover over the comp parts to prevent damage from day to day activities like spilling a drink or someone sticking their fingers in it lol :)

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Kier zebra comes to mind when I see the sides :hehe: the patterns might change not sure yet, mostly concerned about getting the layouts how I want them first & the pictures with the components exposed I shouldn't have posted really, was really early design in progress on the gaming rig & gone through a few different layouts for that, I'll show them asap because I think I have the gaming rig layout how I want it now & will be sticking with air again, sorry to disapoint any who want to see me in waterworld :hehe:, it'll happen some day though for sure. Just needs prettying up now as they are all plain basic panels for the exterior :D but I have a really awesome use for the waste of space next to the expansion cards which I know works very good as I done it in a previous mod :rock:.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Big final concept update before I actually get stuck into this which will be pretty soon if all's well I'm getting pretty fired up to do this already & ready to burn out again, guess I've grown to like that :hehe:.

Showing the first model after a bit of revision & made blocks of popular retail cases with the size specs from shops to give a better idea of size :D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playing around to see how I could merge the HPTC with gaming rig but was this mess around where a good idea clicked for a good use of the space next to the expansion slots :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Random time, after seeing The GNU awesome mushroom case in that nice green I thought I'd see what it looks like on the HTPC with brown & black :D.
    [​IMG]

Developed further with a nice layer effect which will be possible with this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    :lol: Joking just an example :D.

Further developed the custom fans.
    [​IMG]

Was happy with the HTPC by this point so started trying a few configs for a gaming system, I believe the HTPC will weigh more because of the HDD's so will probably stay on the bottom & developed the connecting platform for which the gaming rig will go on top of, should be quite light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't like it for a couple of reasons, 1 I think it needed support so it wouldn't be fragile & 2 it would allow for a full tower cooler but because of the support wouldn't let the mobo slide out with the cooler installed & it not looking good so had a go at flatbed style so it overhangs each side which I further developed the expansion area duct cooling idea & wow this was looking quite insane :D so scrapped it but here it is anyway for giggles :lol:.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went back to trying to go upwards but try to not go too high, but failed but I finally like this layout & designed it so the fan duct piece can easily be removed for access to the expansion cards & if I use the all new & awesome Craig toyo racer method for angled power connectors on the GPU I shouldn't have clearance issues with side power cables, I like this layout a lot because it makes use of the pci expansion space which usually goes to waste & it allows for the largest GPU's in a shallower depth of case, the conduit type pieces are for fan cables, 24 pin, 8 pin & pci-x :D, space for 1 HDD & 1 SSD, BeQuiet dark rock pro cpu cooler, full size optical & ATX PSU with mostly hidden cables & the conduit will allow for fancy cable work for the few which will be visible with no mess :D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went a tiny bit higher than Stealthlow & will be a touch higher with case feet, the flatbed style it was way shorter but had a large foot print & It is now pretty much just a cube with what I think to be a good layout inside at the moment but I'll put more time into making it look better & so it matches the HTPC better & maybe do better patterns also for it, I'll reply to this but this is the last concept update, next new material from me will be an intro with final design & some work done in a new thread soon I hope :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will try to make it more curvy too, I like curves & will always try to find a way to shove them in anything I make now as long as I can make it look good anyway :D.

I don't even know what I think of it really but it's certainly different :hehe: not sure if it's good or bad different though :D but I believe the component layout is awesome in both of them & should be excellent air cooled rigs & will cut power usage nicely while having them both together for whenever I need a power rig or nice low power for normal stuff :). Be sweet if I could start tomorrow but think it will be a month away yet.

Merry new year everyone :D:rock:.

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

In the pics with the free standing fan, the first thing that pops in to my head is Star gate SG1.

I probably need some sleep..

5. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Somehow I really like this one.

[​IMG]

But maybe thats because I never did a benchrig before :)

6. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Pssst. I think you should start a new thread.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D The fan grill kinda reminds me of millenium falcon window with lack of sleep & after a sleep :hehe:.

Suppose it would make a pretty nice test bench :) thanks mate :).

True :D this is why that's my last concept update before I get some actual work done on it :) hope to start some time in January which also gives me chance to improve the design more than where it's at :thumb:.

mnpctech likes this.
  8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I agree with Peter, I chose the pedestal style design too. I gravitate toward scratch build designs that have never been done before... :D

whichever you go with, I'll be tuning in to watch :D

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Hmmm 2 votes for the one I thought was crazy one from the Yoda of modding & Jedi knight on the rise :D.

I wasn't sure if it was crazy good or just crazy :hehe: which is why I scrapped it, would appear I change my mind quicker than English weather when making a new design :D & am easily convinced when given the thumbs up from awesome modders but the downside to this is I don't save every single design so I'd have to use the image to redesign it again :duh:, shouldn't take long though :), gotta admit I like the super easy maintenance of a setup like that & just make a dust cover for when it's not being used & it will keep the height down to 530mm instead of 800mm :lol: I didn't think I'd ever go higher than I did with stealthigh & looks like I easily did :D.

Might even do both :eeek::D upright & T top & then if I'm not keen on the T top I could always have a nice test bench ready for action :thumb:.

And woo hoo no hangover for me because I stuck to coffee :D:p so can still make good choices, current one is chop saw or steam final day sale :D or both but a smaller chop saw, should be no contest I know but it is but won't know until 6PM ish when I see the final day sale :lol:.

Wish you all an awesome 2012 :rock:.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

ARGH, SO MANY CONCEPTS.
    I like the black and white one, the SMALL one!

11. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Me too ...... something a bit Escher about it , might just be the illustration style but I think it's more to do with the fact that it doesn't seem to have a front or a way up :)

[​IMG]

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D It's a modular dual rig Kidmod so can be separated whenever I want so should be a fun but massive project to get stuck into over the year :D:thumb:.

:D Ok I'm convinced to do the test bench one also, it won't need much material for the test bench bit neither so will be a fun little project cheers bugeye :) new word for me that Escher :D.

Was going to leave concept updates until I start with a new thread but since I'm replying here is what should be the final concept before I start :D.

The joining piece makes this project a modular one or transformers rig :D so I'll do both a test bench style gaming rig because it requires hardly any materials but also the upright enclosed regular system type, I've evolved the design a bit by first adding some detailed panels rather than plain, my eyes like a bit of detail :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then rearranged the PSU to be at the bottom of the gaming rig, panels plug in/out & all components slide in/out so both rigs will be incredibly easy for maintenance & has a strong internal structure which will all be bolted together unseen so should be no visible bolts anywhere but what I like about this is being able to simply take the enclosed gaming rig off & put the test bench on & both will be secure on the platform, it isn't clear how all this will work from the concepts but when I make it it will be :) I'm less than 2 weeks away from having enough money to order materials & will be about a week after that before I open a new thread with some progress so still on track to start in January :D:clap:.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colours & finish are still undecided & still not worked out a name for it, brushed & anodised would be by far the nicest but finding a good place which I'd trust to not muck things up especially if I do the brushing myself I need to research more on but if I can't find a place then might go back with paint for some nice colours with polished alu accents I quite like paint because I can do it myself easily not waiting on others & not too expensive & if you muck up any bits you can just fill them & make the error disappear easily :).

It's 810mm high :eeek::lol: & will be another 20mm to 40mm higher with feet :jawdrop::hehe:.

Soooooo eager to get making something :hehe:.

13. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Liking this one too :)

Escher .... he's even done some layouts for water cooling loops :lol:

[​IMG]

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: Ohhhh an artist :D thought it was a style of some kind :D:blush: cheers mate :thumb:

15. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

I like both versions, as well as the version before, but I wouldn't build it as one case - I would build each one separated.

16. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

This way we don't need those noisy Laing D5's anymore! :thumb:

17. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Sort of is ... he did all those impossible drawings where you can't quite figure out what's going on .

[​IMG]

Anyway enough O/T art talk ;)

Love the grill designs they've got a real flow and balance about them , can't wait to see them for real :thumb:

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Blooddrunken, suppose that's a nice thing about it, they interconnect with each other or be on their own :) I'll sure have my hands full doing it all spot on but that's what I want really, a nice challenge :D.

:hehe: Would be awesome if it was doable :D congrats for moty Peter, nice start to the new year :D:jawdrop::rock::clap:.

Really lost track of the hours that went into them so thanks :D:lol: should be a good challenge for me & the fretsaw :hehe: should have the 1st update ready within 3 weeks I expect :rock:.

19. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I like the last version - it's so frikkin' different and WEIRD! But in the good way, y'know?
    Reminds me slightly of Dark Blade - so there I went and set the bar. It's up there pretty high - think you can reach or even bypass it?

20. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Renderings=A++++ man!! Really great job there. in my humble opinion, the case looks top heavy which could rear its head in the future. I often go thru great lengths in thinking about functionality of my case designs. I have thought of awesome creations, only to step back and be like even though that looks cool it just wont cool the radiator right. Thank god for 3D design! Anyways, whatever you decide I will be watching, cuz your last case was mad awesome.