1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Buy tablet now or wait?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave_c, 8 Jan 2012.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

i want to buy a tablet PC but I'm not sure if this is the right time to be considering it with quad core tablets on the horizon.

im considering things like the Asus transformer prime. but I'm guessing it wont take long for this to be totally out spec-ed as it seems to be the "prototype android 4 device.

any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

2. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

If you can get hold of an HP Touchpad on the cheap, I'd recommend it. WebOS is lovely to use but the app store is lacking. The home brew market and the fact that WebOS is now open source is a bonus.
    The really nice thing though is the fact that Cyanogen has an Android Alpha that works really well on it. So there's your apps!
    Overclocking the TP to about 1500 makes the whole thing a nice experience to use and the fact you can get the 32gb version for around 200-250, again is nice.
    Amazon Kindle Fire is due to hit our shores soon though and as that is already the second best selling tablet in the states and if you have a Prime account, really is the one to look at if you cannot abide by Apples offering.

3. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

I'm not a big fan of apple (understatement of the year) and tbh every kindle fire review i have seen has been awful. no SD card slot, a customized UI which blocks the android marketplace built in spyware etc. it WAS one of the ones i was looking at for a while but I'm afraid its totally lost me.

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I am typing this on an iPad, it is lovely and much better than the other tablets I have used. You just have to get over the irrational hatred for Apple :)

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Same, and while the transformer prime looks good, apple still has the most tablet apps by far.

Edit: while some don't like apple, why not like their build quality, customer support and well thought out products. It also doesn't come at a premium as every tablet with similar performance is the same price.

6. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

i dont think my dislike is irrational, apps quantity is far from being the deciding factor on the quality of a tablet in my opinion. but that isn't the subject of this thread. we wont agree no matter how hard either of us try so lets leave it there.

so lets just take apple out of the equation :)

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I would wait for ipad 3 and see what happens to prices then.

9. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Before you buy, evaluate why you need one. I bought one a few months back, and just sold it - I bought it thinking it would be cool, but just couldn't find a use for it. I have a PC, and an iPhone - together they do everything I need.

But, iPad is the one to go for - iPad 3 supposed to be out in March, closely followed by the iPad 4 in September.

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I understand that people have brand loyalty and brand hatred... but if you want the best tool for your needs, ignore branding and look at what the tablet can do for you and make your choice based on its capabilities rather than its manufacturer.

11. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I have had several iPads and I am also using a Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 comparing both android and iOS there's not much difference as both have a good number of apps both similar in size and spec. It all comes down to what you feel comfortable with, go into a store and try out a few tablets, it will give you an idea of build quality feel in the hand.

For up and coming tablets, no matter how long you wait there will be always something coming out. The prime is out in a few days then there will be the iPad 3 followed by the iPad 4 plus tons of quad core tablets so you could be waiting a long time trying to find the best

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Have a look at the Sony Tablet S. Especially if you're somewhat into HTPCs/media stuff. The shape's a bit unusual, but in a good way and the added bonus of it acting as a universal remote control really make this Androind table different than the rest. Also, Sony's already committed itself to bringing ICS to it.

I sincerely doubt Apple will release 2 generations of iToys in the same year. They've never done so before. And why would they start now?

13. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Last edited: 8 Jan 2012
  14. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

i actually want one more for reading books, comics (nerdy i know) and listening to music and occasionally watching films. the sony S sound interesting especially the universal remote control bit. i ahvent heard this before. and if it goes ICS compatible, i think its a done deal.

and ill pretty much be using it only at home.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If you intend to do reading you'll love the shape of the Tablet S. if you havent seent it yet it's shaped more or less like a folded magazine. Very comfy, in my opinion. :)

16. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

iv been doing some research on the Sony S, there seem to be very mixed feelings saying stuff like the SD card slot doesn't work as extended storage, the infra red doesn't always work and that overall performance is sketchy.

I hate it when i see something like this that i like and then these reviews put doubts in my head lol.

17. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

New prime way to go and if you can hold off 3-4months new ipad3 is coming out with some nice little features that will distance the market. I have an ipad2 and love it for the time being but do feel its more catered for the not so tech savvy.

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, a friend of mine has it and he's _very_ much into "media" so he's using the universal remote bit quite a lot. He hasn't complained to me yet, and he's usually _very quick_ to point out problems... :p

But maybe he's just been lucky. I certainly don't want to claim zero problems with this bit of kit.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if you are going to use your tablet for anything other than videos. you should only look at 3:4 tablets.

just like netbooks, 16:9 tablets are like looking through a letterbox, constantly scrolling or in portrait mode, it's not wide enough to read anything without scrolling left/right. all 16:9 tablets are advertised and shown in landscape, reason being it pretty much only works that way. but apart from videos, i only use my tablet in portrait.

so that left with iPad or HP Touchpad.

forget brand, it's all about usability. and IMHO 3:4 is the only format that works.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

In the uk at least you have 2 choices

Samsung galaxy tab 10.1
    iPad 2

Rest are pretty much waste of space

Kindle fire has no confirmed uk release date and its pure speculation it will get one.

I'd wait for iPad 3 and new Samsung then pick up the last gen one cheaper.

My own iPad has basically replaced my pc as a web browser, unless I'm gaming my pc is turned off its made me wonder if I really need the upgrades I buy it.

You should also try the tablets out apple shop for iPad any decent retailer for tab