1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-Tech questions

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by brumgrunt, 6 Jan 2012.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Simon I must say, at this point, that you've done a bang-up job answering questions so far, especially over your wife's birthday weekend. :)

2. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

OK maybe im a geek but I always wanted the Captins chair in Star Trek, im sure on of the talented modders here could make a Star Trek PC chair .... just imagine this conversation.

Mrs "you coming to the shops we need food"
    You "Nope I've ordered the shopping to come to us whilst the footie was on break"
    Mrs "$%!!^%&" (Naughty words not allowed here ty)
    You "tap tap tap, dont worry your replacements on its way too..."

Anyone got a chair they dont want and a dremel i could borrow :)

Last edited: 9 Jan 2012
  3. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

It's my son's birthday today. We have a house with three birthdays, five days apart. Plus, my aunt was 90, too. I'm birthdayed out!

4. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Any Cheesecake?! :D

5. brumgrunt

A friend of mine turned his dining room - with his wife's full permission - into a full 737 cockpit. Perhaps he could be persuaded to make a few more modifications!

6. brumgrunt

I'm on a diet :-(

7. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Bet that is something to see, can you get some pic's of this setup

8. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Just a note on the modding things outside of Desktop PCs...

Personally, whilst faffing with PCs for 15 years I got into the modding game too late. Going into the modding section now it seems that unless you're doing a scratch build with a seemingly unlimited budget, 12 sponsors, a degree in design and a fully equipped workshop it doesn't really matter. It's a bit intimidating so personally I'd love to see a move away from an orientation to Desktop modding (as much as I enjoy it).

Maybe something like articles on some of the amazing things people are doing with (or what can be done with) the Raspberry Pi would be interesting. As a forum full of computer lovers, the Pi offers some amazing posibilities for people on a budget.

I'd personally be interested to see the modding content move on to other tech related mods where you don't need the afore mentioned things to be actively engaged. It might just be me who feels like that, but I do feel like that!

9. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Again, going major off topic...But this is a Bit-tech related question, I think...

But do you know who Relix is?

10. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

If it ain't broken, mod it

11. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Wasn't this in MicroMart? Man that mag was awesome. It's what got me into computing, TBH.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I'd like to add to what Zinfandel said, in terms of case modding. I would like to see more attention given to low budget, non sponsored mods. It takes more skill to do a great mod without a bottomless pit of cash.

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Mmmm i can't wait to get a taste of that juicy little pi :thumb: I agree that would make a great article about a very interesting piece of kit with a shed load of possibilities.

I also agree with your points about modding, I wouldn't dare post any of my little mods in that section.

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Welcome to bit-tech. I already have confidence in you as there are two more news articles today than there have been in the last couple of weeks. A fantastic start as I was beginning to go elsewhere for news.

Don't betray my confidence. I won't be angry, but I'll be upset. That and I'll deny you of cheesecake...

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You can expect two every week day from now on. Three on the days where they remember to change my water bottle and give me fresh bedding...

Brooxy and azrael- like this.
  16. brumgrunt

You've got Gareth, rather than me, to thank for those stories!

The cheesecake is just mean!

17. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

In that case, thanks Gareth. The lack of news was possibly one of the worst things to happen to bit for me, so seeing fresh press gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

The cheesecake won't be taken away for a while yet. If there is anything us average joe memebers can do to help revive bit, let us know :)

18. brumgrunt

It was indeed. We got up to lots of stuff in Micro Mart while nobody was looking...

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As impressive as a lot of them are, and as skilled as their creators are... most aren't mods, it's hardly modified if it's been designed and built from scratch... it'd be like VW saying 'we modified a golf... only we haven't used any bits from any of our existing cars... it doesn't even look like a golf...'

and i agree with Zinfandel in that it seems [and it would appear to those who don't know any better] you need to have half a dozen companies on speed dial for sponsorship and dedicated workshop to 'mod' your PC...

So as impressive as a lot of the 'mods' are... some more... 'down to earth' modding stuff wouldn't go amiss... even if it is a how-to guide on, say, pretty shiny lighting...

or... bit-tech of old had a article [or set of] on the theory behind making your own waterblock [what makes a good one... how they work etc.] maybe do something similar for cases; what makes a good one good, why are they laid out the way they are [aside from ATX standardisation] and so on, so those contemplating doing it themselves have something to go on...

and if none of that makes sense... it's 1:30 am... too much blood in my caffeine system...

20. TMhat

TMhat frupsie bumsies

I'd hope the podcasts can still happen. You don't need to be in the same room to record them, there are plenty of other successful podcasts that are recorded remotely with the participants dialling in over Skype and recording the audio streams.

I am hopeful that the quality of reviews will improve with this reorganisation, I was getting quite fed up of reading fewer and shorter articles in both the magazine and on the website.