1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OnLive Desktop brings Windows 7 to the iPad

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 10 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. onominous

onominous Master of the Universe!

Now it may already exist, but if I could have my PC running up in my office, and just use it as above on an ipad from anywhere in the home. Rather than connecting the cloud based stuffs. +That would be brilliant.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i am really struggling to see the point of interacting with a traditional desktop on a portable device. :)

these devices are touch interface, there really is no point trying to use traditional desktop device through a tablet. i know because i've TeamView'd many times into my desktop, and experience isn't pleasant, every action has to be carefully and precisely done. not worth the effort to use as a tablet killer app.

also, it's on Onlive's virtual machine, not much different from doing things in the cloud, with UI designed for touch interface. what they need to do is to release the server software to use CUDA/OpenCL to allow us at home to make use of it on our machines, then perhaps it's worth the trouble.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I've used something called Splashtop through my iPad and it works.

5. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

You can already to this kind of thing with Citrix Receiver on Android. It's suprisingly good for interacting with windows applications. I've used it to monitor servers at work in MS SCOM from my Motorola Xoom tablet.

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Splashtop anyone?

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i use itap rdp on my iphone for remote access

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Try Pocket Cloud on the iPad with VNC of some flavour on the PC

http://www.wyse.co.uk/products/software/pocketcloud/ipad/index.asp

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You have an iPad? A fruit of the devil's loins? Say it ain't so?!? :p

10. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

Splashtop annoys me. Teamviewer works better for me on my Transformer.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I like onlive but still favour my own personal cloud. This seems cloud computing and what itll become but tbh its stupid onlive providing it. After all you have a very good browser on your ipad, why do you need any windows features? Some professional apps like cad and video encoding might benefit but if your tech save enough to edit on a tablet and encode using cloud services your just as likely to be smart enough to remote desktop your own pc. The only benefit i see is not hitting crappy upload speeds that a home connection might hit. Lastly im surprised apple doesnt offer this service already with osx.
    In my eyes onlive need to team up with tvcatchup. If their "revolutionary" data transmission can improve quality of images sent or reduce connection stuttering or reduce bandwidth it'll be a major win.

12. nmunky

nmunky What's a Dremel?

I think you guys are missing the point here: licensing.

Think about a corp where for instance the sales staff are all on the road with ultraportables loaded up with win 7 and MS Office plus "additional PC apps", that's something in the region of £1,100 per user conservatively speaking, remove £500 for the iPad leaves £600 difference.
    That is 7 years of $9.99 per month. How many business laptops do you think last much beyond 3 - 4 years?

That is not even mentioning the benefits in portability and battery life.

Factor in to it the reduced support cost/warranties/etc. this could be a real winner for corporate non power users.

13. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Yup, the best thing that I can see about this announcement is licencing. Basica access free with access to word excel and powerpoint? That is pretty good. 2GB of word documents is quite a lot and I doubt I would get to that limit anytime soon.
    I wonder how they managed to get that sorted with microsoft.
    I personally wont use it but I can see how it would be good for schools, small businesses or charities.

14. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

I would never use it, but i think it is a great idea for those Mac people who don't own a local WinPC. The 2GB storage will easily be enough for most people. As for how MS allowed it to happen, it gets their software out their and being used by people, rather than them using a rivals software.

15. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I'm starting to warm to the idea of OnLive. This cloud business may be the shot in the arm that PC gaming needs. I have a pretty decent pc so it wouldn't replace that, but there are many people who aren't prepared to spend hundreds of pounds on pc components. Also, I like the idea of being able to hook a basic media centre pc to my living room telly and use OnLive to access PC quality games.

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I always stated my grievance with Apple was from experience

17. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Probably by saying that if they didn't agree to it they'd use Open Office instead. Can't see as MS would want large numbers of people being exposed to how good a free alternative it is - better to keep as many as possible on their ubiquitous package, even at a small financial hit.

I think it's a great idea, as nmunky said, there could be serious financial incentives to use it for some people - providing it works reliably.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You kept the iPad though... (I'm just winding you up; ignore me. :D)

19. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Good luck getting it onto the app store, apple will just say nah...

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Corporate app store?

Tags: Add Tags