1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yay, the US has now officially become oppressive

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Elton, 9 Dec 2011.

1. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

This really scares me (though I laughed at the "united as one, divided by zero" part).
    Just the thought that you can get arrested merely being suspected of terrorism genuinely frightens me.
    Is it actually real what this video is implying, isn't it just some dramatisation by Anonymous? I mean, no sane man could ever agree with a law like that...

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This is an extension of the patriot act pretty much. The scary thing for me is just the fact that it's not going to be opposed. At all.

Hooray for us.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

As per the last sentence in my post I meant "after you've been detained" as once you've been released from detention, if you're released from detention. As you say, that "if" is the big problem with it.

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Thanks for clearing some of the details up you guys in the US, I have a better understanding of your systems now and it even spurred me into reading up on it a bit more (what the hell use it is to me I'll never know lol).

I must say I would be nervous about it if I was a US citizen. The whole idea that anyone could be arrested and then never seen again is frightening. What the hell would families be told in such circumstances?

5. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

They mis-spelled "isn't"

6. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

Why is it you seem to think a spelling mistake is the important thing in this video?

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah it is kind of crazy.. the states have crazy laws on the books as it is.. government blanketing all states with a law like that is unconstitutional.. but republicans believe forcing healthcare on everyone is also unconstitutional even though the current system is way too expensive and the economy is really bad..

so that's where these laws come up.. quick fixes

8. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

Wake up people - it's the government - ever so often they like to remind us cattle who really are in charge.

our job is to make governemnt look good. The recent protests have begun to push power towards the people and make government look weak. no government wants that. the government are the elite as far as they are concerned. they own our rights.

you can protest all you want it won't make any real difference. ( see britain and iraq war - massive protest but government still went ahead).the governemnt have more legal rights and more resources than you . what can you do that would change it?, both sides both parties are the same.

modern government has no sense of the rights of the citizen. they are only concerned about covering their own asses. freedom has made america great now a small number of professional campaigners ( aka modern poolitians) have taken away bedrocks of greatness thinking they know better. Get used to this civil rights grab as there will be more to come - in the mean time they will find plenty of worse governments to compare their own actions to and "proove" they are a good government by comparison. Comparing yourself to the worst is no way to measure anything. also expect the new act to be be down played in the press to prevent widespread "disobedience".

there should be a balance between governement rights and citizens rights but no politician ever campaigns on this. Why? IDK

thanks to OP and anonymous for drawing attention to this.

9. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Can you tell the difference between China and the US? The lines are increasingly blurred...

11. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

And what about that guy, Bradley Manning. I'm not arguing here, but I thought he was arrested, held in solitary confinement for 10 months and threatened with the death penalty for trying to uncover war crimes. I don't really know anything about it though, so I may have it wrong.

12. walle

walle Minimodder

They are turning the United States into a giant Guantánamo.

13. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

The NDAA was passed. Yay might as well move to china.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Wait what?

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yup. It passed.

16. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Time to get more guns to arm my self in protection from the gov't I guess :/

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Careful, that kinda talk may get you detained indefinitely under the new Act. :worried:

18. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I'm curious. The Government of the U.S. is supposed to be held to the high regards of the citizens it represents, correct? Isn't there something in your laws relating to firearms and deposing a government/administration if they're doing something to harm the nation? I.e. NDAA and SOPA/PIPA.

I know that's a "Revolution" clause, but I've always wondered why someome doesn't just organise all these insane firearms groups to turn round and say "No, you cannot do that as it does not benefit the people."

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Just think about the US population (~300m right now) and think about how many of those will know the details about this, I can't imagine it's very high.

The same happens in virtually every country (I'd bet that a massive amount of the UK population don't even know who the Home Secretary is for example) and that is very much a part of the problem surrounding laws/bills/whatever like this, people just don't care. It has no direct impact right in front of them in day to day life and so therefore they don't see any reason why they should take an interest. This allows many governments to get away with whatever the hell they want.

Another point is that when people do make their voices heard it makes no difference at all. Just look at the UK and US regarding the Iraq war. Literally millions protested against it and yet we still went. These days, if the government knows the people don't want something, they just ignore them.

If anyone could unite the people of America in such a way as you suggest then the govt. should be very worried lol There's got to be at least 5 times the armament in public hands than there is in military hands but can you really see that happening?

20. greybing

greybing What's a Dremel?

yes