1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-Tech questions

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by brumgrunt, 6 Jan 2012.

1. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I have been out of touch with the modding scene for years but we are a tech focused community so I think any tech based modding will be welcomed. When Bit first started it had articles on modding mobile phones so the LCD screens were backlit with blue leds and modding car lights! Anything the site authors modded was published so it would be true to the sites roots.

Talking of which I would like to see a series of Bit-techs greatest hits articles where you republish some of the ground breaking mods that Bit has produced, perhaps with an introduction to explain why they were so special at the time for the young un's and if possible what the builders are doing now. Macromans cases, the work of genome, Nexxos Metaversa and the HL2 case all spring to mind.

Articles focused on specifics such as building a HTPC or a home server would also be welcomed. Again an appeal to the community could produce some great contributions. Gliders guide to linux and a linux server is a good example.

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

When I first began lurking in 2005-ish, bit-tech was very focused on modding, and to a lesser extent, hardware. These days I barely read the articles, perhaps the odd review here and there, but mostly I stuck around because it had such a great community. That too, however, is slowly slipping away.

Bit-tech needs to be more niche. I'm sure that'd a hard sell to Dennis, particularly as the entire market, nevermind after-market, is shrinking. But as Bit-tech has become more generic it has lost its USP. It needs more focus.

There are lots of sites that do better gaming articles; There are many sites that do more in-depth and more prompt hardware reviews...But there's no real comparable competition in the modding arena . Actually I should call it DIY computing, because I still have "building your own server/htpc/etc" articles bookmarked from years ago.

Feed the tweakers. Make bit-tech the go-to place for people who want to take ownership of their computing experience and put their own custom stamp on it - Bit-tech isn't for people who buy aluminum unibody cases, it's for people who machine their own. ;)

3. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

These are really interesting thoughts, and please keep them coming. Much appreciated.

Simon

4. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Most of the things I would comment on have already been addressed by other posters, so i'll only add this: please, if you're going to review an awesome boardgame, please don't bother with games that are out of print and impossible to find for under a bajillion dollars/pounds! Thanks. Carry on.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2012
  5. brumgrunt

I can live with a working limit of a bajillion pounds!

6. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I'm probably mistaken, but wasn't there a partner section for Asus, where Bindibadgi (or whatever - sorry Richard!) would post teasers? Is this another casualty of the split out, or am I hallucinating....

I was looking to see if there were any details of this: http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-s-dual-socket-2011-workstation-motherboard--z9pe-d8-ws/14488.html because at last July's Overclocking summit the Asus guy (name escapes me now... sorry!) took my question on the possibility of the board and poo-pooed the idea as worthless, so I was looking for some follow up...

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Bindi closed it because work commitments meant he couldn't keep an eye on it and/or reply [quickly] to posts...

you could always send him a PM or bug him on twitter...

Tattysnuc likes this.
  8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, we unfortunately had to close it because Richard was stretched as he's mentioned in the linked thread above and so is the rest of the global corporate marketing team that would be able to provide proper representation there. Our thinking is that it's better to have no sub-forum on bit-tech than a sub-forum without proper representation where questions go unanswered for days and it generally feels like a ghost town, which isn't really a fair representation of the company (or fair on bit-tech's community for that matter).

I've recently started working at ASUS in the corporate team, while Richard is now even more focused on ROG products than before. Both of us still frequent the forum when we can, so by all means drop either of us a PM and we'll do our best to help with any ASUS-related product queries (subject to the usual disclaimers that we can't talk about unannounced products, etc). I'm still very much getting back up to speed on some ASUS product lines after 12 months out of the game, but if I don't know the answer there'll be someone in the team that should be able to help.

Tattysnuc likes this.
  10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Completely OT, but Tiiiim! Your name looks very wrong in blue.

11. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

thanks folks - glad it wasn't me!

+rep to all who replied!

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

lol, I like to think of it as a new set of clothes. Takes a while to get used to, but it grows on you eventually :)

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Tim, Your first Assignment, which you will complete:thumb: When will the Prime land on UK shores?

Cheers,
    Sam

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Go on, change it back to Bigz. :D

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

Retailers will start shipping tomorrow :)

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Simon: How about a little competition, similar to the MOM but using these Raspberry Pi boards to add a little novelty. The boards are cheap, though there may be a supply problem. Wouldn't even need to be much of a prize, just a token volume of kudos.

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Excellent, Mission accomplished:thumb: Now i'm wondering whether to hold out for the updated Prime with the higher screen res and or a 3g model. I might try and get TF101 now, and get TF700T. If Asus ever feel the need to 'Real World' test, i'm happy and willing :)

Sam

18. brumgrunt

They look interesting, don't they? Once supply is sorted, they're firmly on our radar...

19. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Some more food for thought Simon:

- game reviews shorter, but written by 2-3 people to get different perspectives in a single review.

- PC game reviews accompanied by performance graphs. Like previously mentioned, using a minimum amount of cards, 2 - 3 from each producer(or three, depending on the market situation, as now a 7970 should be included along with the two 6900 series cards).
    These could be only for the most popular resolution (1080p) to reduce the amount of work.

Basically this would mean more cooperation between different writers, but would increase the quality of these I think. Plus, we would get much more information about how cards actually perform in a huge variety of games, instead of just 4 like today - to get enough information, we have to read through many sites which sometimes is a bit of a chore.

20. brumgrunt

Game reviews are an interesting beast. There's some demand to cover more 360/PS3 stuff, for starters, which I'm looking at. And there's a strong idea to go back and re-review a game six months later, when patches have been released and time has passed.

Inevitably, I'm juggling limited resources, and we have the added challenge of writers being geographically separate from each other now. Getting two or three writers to cover one game is thus possible, but tricky. And it also means that we can cover fewer games as a consequence. To be clear: I'd never advocate covering every game going, but getting the balance between depth and breadth is going to be tricky.

Sadly, I don't think I've given you a satisfactory answer to any suggestion you've put forward there :-(

S