1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete [Completed] Music Box - Final Photos 14th, Feb 2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 29 Dec 2011.

1. L1U

L1U Minimodder

I can't see any picture, is that just me?

edit: a couple of refresh happened to solve the problem, great job!

2. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

Can I just ask a couple of questions regarding the touch screen?

A) How much did it cost and where from?

B) What size is it?

C) How good does it look in your opinion?

Thanks in advance. It's looking great by the way!

3. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Thanks KidMod!

Thanks! Yeah, that happens to me on some worklogs as well, not sure why... Refresh usually pulls through eventually :lol:

Thanks!
    A.) It was $200 + ~$25 shipping (USD) from SoundGraph online store. I couldn't find them anywhere else http://shop.soundgraph.com/ItemDetail.aspx?PDSEQ=47
    There's two versions of it, a "step" mount, and a "flat" mount. Both are detailed here: http://www.soundgraph.com/oem-fingervu700m-feature-en/

B.) It is a 7" screen. The dimensions of the actual screen area are about 6.5"x4.25" (that is the mounting dimensions, which includes the housing).

C.) I think it looks pretty good, the resolution is 800x600, which isn't the best but it does work fine for media center and stuff. I haven't played with it a ton yet, but so far I've been happy with it.

There is free software that you can download, FingerUI, Touch Frame, and HD Frame. FingerUI and HD Frame are more like media applications and a "Touch Interface", and Touch Frame enables you to use the touch screen with Windows, or any other programs, just like a regular touch screen. I didn't really like FingerUI or HD Frame that much so I will probably be using Touch Frame with XBMC instead.

You have to download a DisplayLink driver/software package for it to work in Win7 and XP. It works far better in Win7 in my opinion.

That was probably a more long winded response than you were expecting, but there you go :p

4. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

No that was very helpful Mosquito thank you! I'm looking to put together a similar setup to give to my parents on their 25th wedding anniversary. Any information that helps me in my planning process is well received.

Good luck with your project!

EDIT: You actually answered a question which I had meant to ask (about the interface you will be using!)

Last edited: 12 Jan 2012
  5. Mosquito

Excellent! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions, always glad to help :thumb: :)

Also, it came with all the buttons and stuff too, which I won't be using, but was a nice surprise.
    10-button panel, push button/dial combo, and an IR sensor for a remote (which works with a windows media center remote)

daverobson08 likes this.
  6. Mosquito

Update 12th, Jan 2012

I have a little more progress from the past few days... I've glued up all the pieces that will be glued up, and I've drilled some holes for screwing the bottom floor, and bottom-top section (because that's easy to follow...) and got the speakers mounted on the lower front panel.

[​IMG]
    Speakers mounted to the lower front panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gluing the lower front on to the lower top pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The lower pieces all glued together.

Things are really starting to take shape now... a few "nearly finished" shots. You can't tell, but the bottom pieces (not including the screen part) are screwed together now. I decided to do it that way, in case I ever wanted/needed to change speakers, I could still do that. I also got the chrome spacers in underneath where the screen will be. I counter sunk the top because they were about 1/8" too tall. I will be using a pair of bolts through them to hold them in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now. I'm almost done with cutting out the hole for the screen, so there will hopefully be another update soon. Thanks for checking it out!:)

7. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Looking good man. Your wood working skills are impressive and i look forward to seeing this thing finished.

8. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

very nice

9. Mosquito

Thanks guys :thumb:

I'll have some pictures up soon with it together and working, all I have left is final sanding, and finish coats and some actual cable management :)

Waynio likes this.
  10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

This is getting better & better, the smoothed rounded edges look nice :).

11. Mosquito

Thanks Waynio. I will be doing the same rounded corner treatment to the top front piece, as well as the top edges. Just have to find the time to use my router table again

12. Mosquito

Update 13th, Jan 2012

Last night I finished up the cut out for the screen, got the top and bottom halves drilled out and screwed together, and did a full test fit with everything inside...

I drilled holes, then used my jigsaw to cut INSIDE the lines, then I did a lot of work with a combination of a sanding block, and hand file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It Fits! I spent probably 3 hours on this alone, just to make sure I did it right...

[​IMG]

Then, I drilled the holes for the 4 screws, and 2 bolts that would be holding the top down. The bolts hold the two chrome stand offs in place under the monitor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All screwed together.

Now it's time for the complete test fit. I screwed the screen in place, and added all the speakers into it, then put it all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    IT LIVES! I actually have to say that I think it sounds pretty good. I mean, doesn't measure up to my full stereo, but for what it is it sounds good :)

I've still got a few finishing touches to do, such as rounding over a couple of corners, smoothing out a few sections, doing the final sanding, and then applying finish. I have 2 small fans for the side ports, and some metal mesh for those and the top that I'll put in once it's finished. Then do some wire management and I'm good to go :D

I also have a video of it in operation (audio was recorded with my point and shoot camera, so I promise it sounds better than the video depicts :p)

Can't read it in the video, but temps were at 47c when it was playing music for the CPU. This was with the 500rpm fan just sitting in it. I'm thinking it will be a little better with the new fans, moving more air through the case.

Thanks for checking it out guys :thumb:

13. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

and here's to you Mosquito that looks grate :thumb:

14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats just soooo cool, nice one dude.

15. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Nice one Mosquito! :clap: Are you leaving the wood untreated or is there a finishing to be made?

16. Mosquito

Thanks guys!

I'm going to put a finish on it, but I haven't decided 100% what yet. I wasn't planning on staining it, but I'm not sure if I'll do a hand rubbed finish, or poly, or what yet. Any suggestions for something I should look into? (I don't have HVLP capabilities, otherwise I'd probably give that a go)

peteski likes this.
  17. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I haven´t worked a lot woth oak, but I´m a sucker for oil based cloth rubbed finishes. Not too glossy and brings out the luster!

18. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Thats pretty slick!

This has inspired me to get my music box up and running : )

19. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Neat little AIO. I like it.

20. peteski

peteski long live the pc

man that is so cool :thumb: to you . it's a inspiration to me as i hope to build my own first scratch build one day soon :rock: :rock: :rock:

5stars +rep :rock: :rock: :rock: