1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Which to believe

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ant1981, 13 Jan 2012.

1. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

My Asus P67 Sabretooth comes with Asus AI Suite II, which is currently reporting 24c as the processor temp.

CPUID HW Monitor is reporting the temp as 35c, quite a difference. I'd rather much like to belive 24c.

I must add, that HW Mon does seem to report from rather strange readings at times with oddly frequent fluctuations.

But how can they both give different readings when the information comes direct from the MB?

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

One is reading the core temp the other is reading the over all temp. My CPU normally shows about 8 degrees difference on both.

3. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

HW Mon also shows the four core temps, but the temps I've quoted are the combined over all temps, which are significantly different.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Always possible one is pulling info from a different / wrong sensor. Try a couple more like openhardware monitor, etc and see which temp is displayed, go with whichever has the most results same as correct.

5. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

4 cores have sensors embedded in each 1 and 1 overall sensor, these tend to be higher as it takes the avg. of the cores and is usually higher than the seperate readings on each core.

Keep an eye on your temps when idle and heavy load to see the difference. Ive noticed the same on quite a few systems ranging from 2-10c difference. Right now mines says 34c CPU and each core is 24c. I gave up using hwmonitor awhile back as it kept giving false readings on some of my fans and had temps showing 127C at times.

6. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

It's Asus AI Suite II that's coming up alot cooler than HW Mon.

The individual core temps on HW Mon, aren't far off the over all temps.

The temp I'm quoting is AI Suite II's over all and HW Mons over all.

HW Mon is giving alot of other weird readings so I think that AI Suite is the only correct one, although from time to time it reports motherboard temp as being 123c and it's currenty at 0c, so there may also be a dodgy sensor.

7. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

aye sounds like a dodgy sensor if its hitting anywhere above 110c or sitting at 0c. Just checked my Asus suite and readings are same as hwmonitor. Does seem strange if yours are showing different but Id def try a few other programs out there to monitor and see what they say, Everest has a monitor in that as well. If its an asus board you have and the program built for it tells you different ifrom 3rd party software id def believe the branded one more.