1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

I got my Das yesterday, took three days to arrive from Germany for about £108 inc postage.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy I went for MX blues, I love the clicking :D Bottoming out the keys is making way more noise than the clicks so I've got some orings on the way.

These things definitely apply to the Das as well (I think they're the same height?).

Overall very happy with this. I'm not sure I'll get any use out of the USB hub though; the slots are too close to where I put my mouse really. I didn't intend to use them so it's no problem and they're actually alright for moving a couple of files to usb drive or mp3 player etc, as long as it's something that's not going to be plugged in for long. I wouldn't charge anything from them - I also would have preferred an indented caps lock key but I'm sure I'll cope without.

Thanks for convincing me to get a mechanical :)

2. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

VERRRY sweet! I have a whole 6 days before I can even order mine :(

I've deliberately focussed on one that doesn't have added features as, more often than not, I'm using a KVM switch and less means it works better. I still have fond memories of my clicky keyboards, I type faster now so it would be like a machine gun going off in the room if I went for anything other than tactile or linear. I've found a tenkeyless Filco Ninja for £114 on Amazon and I'm expecting a couple of Amazon vouchers for my b'day (which happily coincides with pay day) to expedite the process.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I looked at the DAS keyboard, they are nice but the glossy surface really turned me off. I'm a flat black kinda guy, glossy doesn't fit my style. Hope you like it :) I should be getting mine Monday.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Hats off to the keyboard company. Ordered late Friday afternoon on the free delivery option and it was on my desk by 10.30 this morning. I've swapped the keys and had a quick typing test but I will wait until i've done a few rounds of BF3 when I get home tonight before giving my final verdict. To echo previous comments, it weighs a tonne! I though it was stuck on the box but it's just damn heavy.

5. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

ugh went for it guys.. £120 eeek

filco majestouch 2 from keyboard company

i guess if i dont like it i cant return it if i pay postage... but it says packaging must be intact so i dont know if it will be possible to remove it without damaging it

somone convince me i made the right choice :p

6. leslie

leslie Just me!

I wouldn't worry about it, I have yet to try a mechanical that didn't feel better than rubber domes yet. Odds are you will love it, and not want to go back, but if not, you can always sell it and get almost all of your money back.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

[​IMG]

My full size Filco with selected red keys and brown switches. To echo previous comments it's built like a tank, love the matt finish on the keys as it feels nice and it feels way more precise than my old keyboard. The tactile response is a marked improvement when gaming and I'm finding i "key fumble" and miss hit keys a lot less than I did previously. The wife does a lot of statistics in her job and works from home regularly so I stuck with the numpad as she uses it a lot. I can picture her going "How much!? For a key board with no num pad?!" :p

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Just received my Noppoo Choc Mini with Browns from Georgestorm, it is amazing! Very good seller and would buy from him again!

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Glad to hear you like it, I doubt it will be your last ;)
    I also find it quite weird how odd I think a full size keyboard looks now, even though I only switched to TKL or less a month or two ago :p

Thanks, glad you like it :)
    I'll probably have more to sell soon, since I want to try more switches, and can't afford to just keep all of them :p

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You should definitely PM me about any up coming sales!

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Well I just took he plunge on the group buy for the VorTex Race 75% over at deskthority, MX Browns and Blue LED with the addition of a set of white keycaps. The backlighting options sold it to me - the lowest setting looks great. For someone who games in the dark the video reviews on youtube look perfect for my needs.

Wish I could stop these goddam impulses though, serious lack of control... :rock:

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Enjoy all of your new keyboards everyone.
    Sure they are expensive, but remember if you don't break it, spill a pint in it etc, it will last many many years or until USB is obsolete.

Buying a nice keyboard and some caps is not too bad lack of control. Buying a vintage unusable keyboard because you want a couple unique keycaps on it for $80 is when you have problems. Or people that spend over $100 on ClickClack Factory keycap...

13. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Haha I feel this may just be the beginning of another unnecessarily expensive chapter in life ;)

14. IvanIvanovich

Oh... Filco Ninja now available in ISO, new stock at keyboardcompany.uk in UK, DE, SE layouts. I hope some of you won't be mad for not waiting a few days, but I think they have a lenient return / exchange policy?

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Let us know how the Race turns out, the Pure looks more like my cup of tea, if it ever becomes available...

And I really really want a vader key for esc, but they are silly monies :(

16. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

filco came, ordered next day (but at 10pm so it still took 2 days)

was really impressed with ukmail. i was asleep when they came, and they actually UNLOCKED my back gate (which is really hard to do from the outside), and came to the back door and put the box under a plant to shelter it (it was drizzling)

great service. i have never had a delivery company do that before.

it is a great board, really solid construction, and the rubber feet are VERY grippy. no sliding here. I have noticed i can type faster on this board, and i love the clicky sound. Was it worth £120? hmm.. honestly, no. But i am still happy with my purchase and it will last me a long time.

pics for your time, and also a bonus sunset photo i took the other day (on my galaxy s2. hoping to get a dslr in the near future)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

i do have a question though

all the keys feel the same, apart from the '0' key on the number pad.

this is much more spongy and squishy (dont know how to describe it). it doesnt have the 'clack' of the other keys

is this normal...?

18. IvanIvanovich

Sometimes the stabiliser needs to get worked out. Also you could put a couple spots of lithium grease if it does not improve from use.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I got my keyboard last night, it's a real joy to type on and it's making all my forum post longer since it's so nice to type on. I can tell my typing speed has also improved and I'm making less mistakes than with my old keyboard. Overall, it's worlds different and better than my old membrane keyboard.

Overall look very clean
    [​IMG]

WASD/ESC
    [​IMG]

The legend, small, modern and engraved
    [​IMG]

The rubber O-rings, it keeps my bottoming out noise to a minimum
    [​IMG]

20. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

What's the difference between a Filco Majestouch 2 and the previous version of the Majestouch. I have the previous version and it has the same keys?

Itchy