1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 560 Ti Twin Forzr II vs DirectCU II

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 17 Jan 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Title says it all, looking to get a GTX 560 Ti 1gb, Asus DirectCU II and MSI Twin Frozr II are the same price. Which should I get? If you have experience with either or both, I'd love to hear it.

2. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

go a bit more for the 560ti hawk twin frozr iii

3. Mac_Trekkie

Does the Hawk have better cooling than the Twin Frozr II, or is it just a higher overclock?

4. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

no the new propeller blades offer 20% better cooling, the overclocking talent is a bonus to be honest but its stock @ 950mhz core :)

read more: http://event.msi.com/vga/hawk/

5. Mac_Trekkie

Okay, thanks, that looks like the one to go to then.

6. TobletDanillio

TobletDanillio Minimodder

I have the MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II 2GD5 and it plays bf3 in ultra at about 30-40 fps

Send from HTC DESIRE HD

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

20% better?

But ASUS is also 20% better and 600% more air with DirectCU II!

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/Features/DirectCU/

Plus they have redesigned PCBs:

http://techinstyle.tv/products/whats-inside-my-asus-graphics-card/
    http://techinstyle.tv/products/asus-geforce-gtx-560-ti-directcu-ii-preview/

/Marketing done for today.

8. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

for what its worth my hawk overclocked @ 990mhz, doesnt go past 65c under BF3 for around an hour on ultra

9. rem337

rem337 What's a Dremel?

Either would be great, But I have the ASUS and its a beast and very quiet. Also the black PCB is yummy.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have 2 x MSI Twin frozr II 560Ti. I believed the review hype and user feedback stating the cooler was in fact cool and quiet. Neither were true. My original plan was to buy Gigabyte 560Ti super overclock. A friend of mine in Belgium did and his GPU load temps were lower. I was getting 83c+ in summer and the noise was awful.

I fitted EK VGA waterblocks. I run 2 of the MSI now and one overclocks easily past 1ghz and the other doesn't reach 970mhz.

The MSI Frozr cooler is more hype than anything. The ASUS Direct CU is a better design. You want the heatpipes in direct contact with the GPU core.

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've got the Direct CUII 560ti and i've got it overclocked past the 1GB mark, barely hits 50C.
    Rediculously quiet too, i can only hear it when i'm doing furmark.

The design is awesome, those massive heatpipes aren't just for show.

12. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

I thought there was just an issue with a certain revision of the cooler, my 570 Twin Frozr II doesn't go over 58 degrees on full chat.

13. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Didn't MSI change the Frozr II cooler and never told anyone. They also didn't differentiate
    by using a new model # or anything did they? So noone knows if they got a newer version or
    older (better) version.

The new one isn't as quiet apparently, don't know about cooling properties though.

14. Deders

Deders Modder

I think it might just be higher speeds in the card's bios, you can adjust the speed curve with Argus monitor or some overclocking utils.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well I don't know which cooler mine had but the temps on both of them were poor. The noise of one in game was too much for me bacause I'm used to the silence of liquid cooling. 2 of them were unbearable until I discarded the heatsinks in favour of water blocks.

16. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Friend of mine has the Asus card, a good £20 or so cheaper than the MSI one, and it hits 950 MHz easily, and is very quiet (ie. you'll be able to hear it normally but it's not annoying at all, and you can always set a silent fan profile that ramps up the fan when gaming anyway) and although audible while gaming, it will Furmark quietly enough at less than 70 degrees the whole time.

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I dunt get the appeal of furmark. There was one version of kombuster that supported SLI it seems but since then no option for dual GPU.

18. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Furmark does a very good job of fully loading as much of the current GPU's at once, thus getting ludicrous power draw that is pretty much impossible to get close to in any real world programs or games.

So its a good single program to stress test a cards cooling ability. Although you might be able to load even more if you combine furmark with a cuda program like folding@home which targets different parts of a chip. Now the latest cards have been designed to downclock when put under so much stress because it can take the chip dangerously close to its power and cooling limit.

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well it's no good in SLI configuration. That's my point.

It did support SLI, now not.

20. McDuff32

McDuff32 Minimodder

I've got the Asus and its great :)