1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Microsft Flight [sim]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RedFlames, 5 Jan 2012.

1. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I thought MS had sacked the dev team from the old flight sims and they had gone to form a new company:confused:

2. CoffeeTwoSugars

CoffeeTwoSugars What's a Dremel?

I got invited to the beta last week, the weird thing is I don't remember ever registering/applying for it, not complaining though I am enjoying playing it? Is the game going to stick to local areas like Hawaii and just have a few more isolated places or are they developing a Full world like previous Flight Sims??

3. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

Just noticed beta is out, just applied, I've been looking at what most of the old dev team are up to at Cascade Game Foundry but nothings out there yet, i'll be happy if this is as good as FSX, i loved it.

4. logicmike

logicmike What's a Dremel?

Just applied for this, so will wait and see what its like

5. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

/Trollmode on
    Sounds like the graphics are ok-ish, but is it still boring as fook?

/Trollmode off:
    Is the gameplay any different to previous installments? I used to love the MS Flight Simulator games as a kid, but now that I'm an old grump, they just bore me. With the mind of a child, full of wonder and imagination and lah de dah, I could fly around and make fun for myself, getting all excited about the slightest of things. But with my current grumpy old mind, I bought FSX and got bored within the first hour. Then I thought, "Oh I will try to find my house and fly over it", but my entire town looked nothing like it does in reality so that only lasted about half an hour. Then I thought, "Oh I will try to land on a road", but the roads all looked like crap so that wasn't much fun. Then I thought, "I will visit some of the amazing places in the world like Vegas and the Pyramids in Egypt etc." but I went to them all and they looked kind of crappy and there was not much fun flying over them anyway. Not long after that, I quit and have only been back a few times.

I really hoped that with a supposed 'reboot', of the series, they might have tried to jazz up the gameplay a bit? I loved that the added missions in FSX, although I didn't find them to be that good.

My favourite MSFS game of all time, was FS4 which had a plane maker. You could make your own plane of almost any shape and size and specification which was amazing fun. For example a made a plane with 6 inch wings or something, and the most gigantic powerful engine. It did 0-100 mph in about 1 second and then just kept picking up speed faster and faster and faster until it was going thousands of mph and started hurtling out of control towards the horizon. I made lots of different planes and it was really fun, and I also got a lot of fun out of that game by trying to race other planes in the sky.

If only they could harness that type of gameplay.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The irony is FSX can look better now than when you bought it when you upgrade it.

http://fullterrain.com/product_nablue.html

Add REX for weather and water...

Add ezDok for realistic vibration head motion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTuFcic3sFY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBOou4CUWU&feature=related

So ironically FSX with addons looks better than FLIGHT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akvIAT7ikes

But it's about navigation and flying rather than flying over your house and seeing if it looks identical.

7. rogerrabbits

Yeah that looks pretty damn good now. I reckon these games are probably just not for me these days. With games like DCS A10C, I can get the flying but with strict objectives and I can shoot stuff. I that that suits me more, and then "Flight" is probably more for the navigation and handling emercency situations and stuff. I'm thankful at least we have the choice, I thought flight sims might have died.

p.s. Someone make "Stunt Island 2".

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I would never have considered FSX to be a "game" as such - it's a serious sim and not something you sit down at and play for fun...takes a lot of skill, patience, and knowledge to get the most from it.

I heard about Flight a while ago but haven't looked into it yet... I got FSX Deluxe and REX 2.0 and a couple of other add-ons in 2010, including a meshpack for Scotland which is in-cred-i-ble, and if Flight offers no benefit over FSX then I'm in no hurry to jump ship. With REX 2.0 and a properly tweaked config, FSX looks absolutely incredible, especially at dawn/dusk.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I was on a10 last night for a few mins. I actually thought visually it looked great last year, I guess now I've been on BF3 it doesn't look so hot any more. Great for a realistic simulation though.

I think if FLIGHT gets lots of commercial addons as FSX has done it will be even better.

I do think they struggle to find ways to make it appealing. They try gimmicks like flying through hoops or the gold coin collecting. Because it's not a shooting things sim they really struggle to give it broader appeal. It's a bit like your grandpa trying to make contemporary furniture.

I sent the Flight team an email recently after trying FLIGHT... I suggested they don't dumb FLIGHT down in an effort to appeal to non flightsim market. I told them that trying to please everyone would come back to haunt them. There are many arcade flight games on the market and they generally receive poor reviews. I noticed the FLIGHT beta defaults to 3rd person view. I suggested to FLIGHT team they are trying to appeal to the arcade crowd which will alienate serious sim fans.

10. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

this is IMO a step backwards with regards to realistic flight sim's. Its geared towards the mass market and will not be a success. Flying or learning to fly is a niche market, 90% of gamers want to play FPS or otherwise. I'll stick with FSX.

I just learned to use the FMC in the PMDG 737 NGX and this is pretty much as close as you can get to setting the damn thing up in real life, I just cant see the masses wanting to learn how aircraft works etc, which to me is what FSims are all about.

11. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

sims have never really had much 'mass market' appeal, but there are those ( like myself ) who enjoy wasting a couple of hours here and there flying, for me i find it very relaxing
    sure ive no idea what half of the buttons / knobs / switches / dials / controls are in the cockpit...
    but i enjoy just flying around enjoying the scenery and having a good time

people are forgetting what a game (sims included ) is for....

having a good time...

12. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

haha yea but their main usage is to educate and train about the joys of flying, which is why fsx and is the most popular choice for pilots training in many centers prior to even being allowed into an actual simulator, then eventually an aircraft. I do agree however its relaxing flying and enjoying the scenary. For me one of the reasons why I never got engaged much with flight sims prior to FSX, was simply because in order to run it effectively and get the most from it, you need a £700+ PC, as anything below the sims dont forgive you it lol

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

This is the one I spent most time on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvKlj1nTu84

You could phone the maker (an ex RAF pilot) and ask him questions about it.

I'd be sitting there flying it and a family member who knew nothing about Amiga state of the art flight sims would ask "what are those pyramids?"

"Those are hills noob!!"

15. rogerrabbits

^ I used to play that game. My favourite around that time was F19 stealth fighter though.

16. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

yaay i got in :)

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I loved it. Played Falcon a lot too.

Yay!

Looking at FSX with the scenery addons and REX, think I will have to install it again. You need at least 100gb space to accomodate it.

No way could I install it on SSD.

It's ironic we complain about bugs in games these days and how some games are rushed. Remembering back to F29 on the Amiga it was riddled with bugs and the gameplay almost non-existant. We have it very good now compared to the old days.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2012