1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Yeah I was thinking that too, maybe he can weight it down with something so it doesn't tip over easily

2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Because I know you are one of the few modders with a lot of potential, skills and passion, and because I want to see you unfolding your powers once again I will challenge you to create something "out of the box" regular design. I know you can do it and I will love to see you working on something more difficult. I will enjoy this for sure! Happy New Year my good friend all the best for you and your family!! :)

3. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

This looks really wild Wayne. Definitely "out of the box" in the approach.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I have 100% officially dedicated to going forward with this crazy project now by ordering all the needed aluminium for it including enough to do the test bench part.

Stealthlow was perfect but used too much power for 24/7 so was imperfect for my needs & wanted to be able to switch to a super low power pc from the same rig when I don't need a performance pc but didn't want to mod it which is why this will be made, so the only reason I'll have for a new personal rig after this is if form factors really change & I'm due to upgrade.

Been straining my brain to think up an ok name for it & might have it, I'm thinking Perfunction for perfect function & funky looks so I'm calling dibs on the silly name of Perfuntion for this :hehe:.

Cheers Nutman yeah I want it to be one that really makes me say wow virtually every time I see it :D, I did make it much more detailed with the pattern flowing & wrapping around all surfaces but was just too much I thought so did the top & front more plain, I'm prone to getting extra ideas once I get stuck into a project so might have a bit more to add to it all as I progress, completely undecided about case feet but they will be designed at a later time when I know the final weight of this beast :D.

Dark Blade I remember seeing that before I was actively modding & was blown away & still am :), had me thinking how the heck do you do something like that & a long time later I found out it was cool design & CNC must be a pretty awesome sight seeing a creation like that each day for the creator :) a pleasing vision is the secondary goal of this project but I will give it my best effort still.

Thanks Cleveland appreciated :) about it looking top heavy, I agree it does look it & this has been noted elsewhere also but thought of while designing it, I placed the most weight straight in the middle so should be distributed well & the bulk of the weight will be in the HTPC with the bulky materials & hard drives so if I placed the HTPC on top I think I'd have more of a problem, there is only 1 hdd in the gaming rig & all the heavy stuff is quite well centralized with close to an even load on both sides front & back I anticipate the gaming rig to be strong but very light weight, 3d design saves a lot of time & mess with cardboard :D air cube was very light but with 6 hdd & a psu it weighed quite a lot.

Can understand how some think it might be prone to tipping or other nasty's & it could be but if it is I'll be able to fix it :thumb: I expect it would need a fair weighted push for it to fall over just like any tower rig :D it doesn't just sit on top it plugs onto the top & locks in place so becomes a solid unit, 1 of the many features I've not explained about & would rather just show when I do it :D.

Thanks Alex appreciated :rock::D Happy new year & all the best to you too mate :).

Thanks voigts, happy to hear this as I began this design building all around functionality starting with the HTPC which functionality usually means kind of boring stuff so it's good to hear it isn't plain :D.

Materials 0.5mm 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 8mm & 10mm alu sheet/plate & some square bars, angle bars, round bars & tubes, 10mm wood, 3mm & 5mm acrylic sheet & sure looking forward to starting this :D but will be nice to get through the 10mm stuff first, then the fans, basically all the bits I'm unsure about first & if I'm super careful on doing all the cutting it shouldn't need any filing or too much sanding or if there is it will be just to remove any slight jaggy bits.

Final concept I'll make.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture shows how I worked out what materials I needed for this & the aluminium shop I bought this from now do fabrication & all sorts of cool stuff including anodising so might let them do the anodising for me when it's all ready, depends on what it will cost but at least it's a place I'd be happy to let do it for me.
    [​IMG]

So yeah got the alu ordered, just need to order the acrylic now but might make a start on the 10mm alu as soon as I get the alu & maybe give it an extra 0.5mm to easily cover any irregularity's with the acrylic thickness, this could be a pretty quick project but not certain about that I just have a hunch :hehe:.

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Going to love this, I can tell already!
    I also have 2 small form factor mods planned, one with the rasberry pi. :)

6. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

The styling is nice, very easy on the eye.

Looks top heavy though :s

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good to see you put your log links in your sig, I miss out on loads of projects with people not doing that :D 2 sff mods sounds good :rock: I'll have to try a pico pc to see what they are capable of, I wouldn't expect much from something so small but would probably be very surprised :).

I said I probably won't have anymore to do after this but you know that's false right, modding is an uncontrolable disease I'm a modaholic & I'll be wanting to do a sff XBMC for my dad after this :lol::D.

Cheers jeckulz & lol :D.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Final upcoming build ramble & new concept picture dump before I get busy & create the first post for the new thread :D.

Took in the first delivery of sheet alu today, 1 of the sheets is 1650x1000 & came on a pallet which wasn't included in the postage cost :clap: usually £50 on top of the standard £15 :eeek: so they were kept in perfect condition, this is the first time I've ordered alu sheet since my first scratch build where the sheets are in 100% perfect condition :D & has the nice plastic backing on both sides of all of them, the alu plate & bars should be here tomorrow so I have an ultra cluttered cellar to sort out so I can use the scroll saw there, that big sheet of alu is going to be fun to cut up & theres virtually no room for error :D I'll need to sort out a make shift cutting platform to do this.

The place I bought the alu from now offer anodising & fabrication so have asked them for a price list on that & what the process is for letting them do the anodising so might use them once it's all ready for it.

Anyway with all the excess waiting I put more time into the design, made the gaming rig side panels flow in line better & done some new design for the wood panels they aren't final, I'm considering using a mix of 3 gorgeous different woods, Cocobolo, Ebony & Maple or Oak, I'll have to get these woods in turning blanks & slither the needed thickness off & make sure they are absolutely flat & then join them together to create bigger sheets, so this is a project where I include some jolly nice wood work mostly for nice accents :D been rather inspired by the awesome wood workers of modding :rock::) & had sooo much spare time I even downloaded textures to represent the mod a little bit better.

The wood part of the project will be 1 of the last things to do on this though so I'll probably be able to raise the cash to get a plunge saw or table saw by then to get it done much better than struggling with the scroll saw & hefty sanding sessions, the frames around the gaming case sides & top will either be Oak as shown or polished alu semi circle mould bars as shown, both will be nice I expect but think wooden ones will make the build more like a well merged dual rig & this is why I'm choosing brown tint acrylic for the windows otherwise the only thing the 2 rigs will have in common will be the wavy lines, I would have opted for real wood veneer but it would be hell to do it well on the inside edges :lol: so solid real woods is my best option which will allow me to curve edges also without the need for potentially expensive vacuum veneering but might make a chest of draws which I'll veneer for this to stand on in the center of my room so I can admire it properly :).

Last picture dump before the new thread & sorry to anyone who is bugged by me doing it this way :blush: I just don't want to start a new thread without any actual work done but wanted to show what's next but the more projects I do the more you will know I'm not one for showing a promising project only to not do it I am 100% dedicated now & have been since ordering the materials last week :D:rock:.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm undecided on the wood panels & like both but think the right side has more style.

I'll be doing this in a pretty random order & still not ordered the acrylic yet with having a change of mind for the colours but think I'm good with this colour theme so can get it ordered now :) been thinking of what to tackle first on the alu work & would have been the 10mm alu plate but won't have that until tomorrow so think I'll first just get things cut to rough size from the big sheets & then do the new thread.

Still think I'm well on track to make the new thread with some actual progress this weekend :).

I still have no idea for a good name for this so it's either LAG or even MAG for mean & green :D or Perfuntion I just don't know but whatever I choose I'll stick with, MAG seems ok I guess, better than LAG, yeah I suck at making names for projects :hehe:.

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

This is going to be out of this world - maybe even out of this universe.

LAG doesn't really suit the project - unless you think LAG is a fitting title for the end product and the process of getting there? ;)

10. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Already in love with the "leaf-like" panels m8!

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Cheers Nutman :thumb: yeah LAG would mostly describe the time this will take to do :lol: so MAG it is unless I think of something better :D.

:) Thanks Pete :thumb: wow I'll be doing a lot of scroll sawing with this :hehe:.

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm here. Get on with it at whatever speed is needed.

13. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

^amen to that. ;)

14. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Very unique design Waynio, i love all the small details that u have putted in the panels. Also the layers of different wood will give us some nice eye-candy :D. Im looking forward to the start of this project. :rock::rock::rock:

15. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I was gonna wait til the opening of a new thread, but with the last update I just have to let it all out... SOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOL!! Those panels are xtra-complex-super-original-and-fu**ing-beautiful! And that size :eeek: I love the new wooden detailing(of course!) Gives it that well needed contrast IMO :lol::lol::lol: Brown tint acrylic will work great too. This one will be a KILLER!

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: ABSOLUTELY AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Your new concept looks absolutely stunning. Can't wait to follow your new build log :D.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Cheers John, just have the cellar to sort out & then can get busy :thumb:.

:)

:D Thanks alain :).

:rock::D Cheers mate hope to live up to the design, should do & got a chop saw & the acrylic ordered so hopefully that will arrive soon :thumb:.

:D:rock: Thanks Alex :thumb:.

Thanks mate & I can't wait to start :D.

Here is all the alu waiting to be worked on :D:lol:.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just hope I can manage the 10mm plate :eeek::D.

19. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Looks like pretty pristine condition

20. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Whooohoooo, New project log :D!!!