1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project "Sulaco"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tobyak, 30 Jul 2011.

1. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

@ Bill, cheers dude. Kind words are always apreciated, the ole dremel has almost packed in but its had a good run, from cutting steel to shaping and routing, and atleast 10 uses i think i have invented.... also cuts a steak (i got bored). So time for a new rotary for xmas

@ Alexaraatus, i wish i could take creditfor the side design but it is heavily influenced by the old NZXT LEXA ive madea lot of modifications to its shape but it certainly ows its pedegree to the LEXA

2. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Im working as fast as my kids will allow, aparently they need food and stuff... weird eh lol

3. fractal arc modder

fractal arc modder What's a Dremel?

Hey nice build :thumb:

How old are you kids.

I got a 2 mth old boy and twin boys age 7.

Love your work by the way.

4. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

14, 11, 8, 6, 5, 6 months, 5 girls one boy

5. Warsmith

Warsmith Enginseer

:jawdrop: I tear my hair out with three. Major props.

6. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Just before the festivities i managed to get a rare nugget of time to finish the PSU shroud

First up a monor admission...... the mk1 broke a bit.. a child of mine who shall remain nameless knocked it on the floor causing the most frantic game of jenga in the history of the universe so the repairs commenced
    [​IMG]

Once it was all reglued and reinforced it was time for some frantic filling and sanding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the majority of the sanding and filling was done all i needed to do before undercoating was cut a hole for
    [​IMG]

OK i will state the obvious... UNDERCOATING
    [​IMG]

After a painfully large amount of painting and sanding and waiting for cure times i could finaly text fit it... seen here with my georgious EK multioption 250x2 res Basic his res will be the corner stone of my all EK watercooling in this system
    [​IMG]
    and yes i know its not lateral to the line of the case its a test fit

Next post later today the installing of my beloved water cooling

Massive thanks to EK for all there help i could not have don't this without them and there amazing products and assistance. more coming soon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jan 2012
  7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

The chassis shroud is sweet idea, AND nicely executed :D

8. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

As a little aside i decided to get a table saw or a bandsaw, BUT i cant afford one and my wife will kill me if i do buy one

So whats the solution..... MAKE ONE

Heres a quick guide

You will need....

• Cheap workbench
    • Old Shelves
    • Spare wood (must be perfectly straight)
    • Wood Screws
    • G or speed Clamps (optional)
    • Cheap jigsaw
    [​IMG]

You dont need to build big in this case the final surface area is 18inch square but use your own size it can be modified

Take your shelf or left over wood and mark out your cuts to make the working surface in my version as the shelf is 9 inches wide i need to make 2 planks 9x18
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To make your joined work surface you need to use some more spare wood to make the rails on the underside, just cut your spare to match the length of the work surface and mark up a number of holes to screw the frame together
    [​IMG]

Clamp everything together tight, your final surface mush be perfectly flat
    [​IMG]

And here is how it all looks fixed together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With a set square mark up some lines so you can make sure you mount your saw perfectly in line with the sides
    [​IMG]

Drill holes for the saw blade to pass through you can have as many or as few as you want
    [​IMG]

Remove the base plate from your cheap jig saw ans drill some holes in it for your screw/bolt holes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once you have that all put back together and have remounted your saw to its base and then to the work surface you can flip it over and mount it to your cheap work bench... this is where the split top in the bench comes in really handy to put the body of the jigsaw through, then just tighten your bench up it will grip the base of the saw and you are good to test it
    [​IMG]

i tried both free hand and with a guide i made later, i must admit free hand is a little scary you are afterall working with an upside down jigsaw but using a guide it is realy easy and the cuts are perfect. you will be able to see on the pic below which cut is free and which is with a guide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy

Last edited: 5 Jan 2012
    [ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

+Rep for building your own saw :D

10. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Cheers dude, im tempted to make a piller drill, just need to work out how

11. mnpctech

Very clever and resourceful thinking Toby :dremel: ...and I'm still drooling over the shroud you made too.

12. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

that was not an easy make, i bought the wrong material and had to largly cut by hand and rotary tool

13. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Supply Drop

As the project reaches its close and the next project is waiting in the wings I was delighted to hear that Bitfenix wanted to share some of there products with me

I am usually dubious when it comes to pre-sleeved cables you never quite know what to expect in terms of quality but i was very very pleasantly surprised

So first things first, whats in the box...

Bitfenix Alchemy Cables

As you can see we have a substantial drop here, including, 24pin, 3pin fan, internal IO, USB and 6pin PCIe. And an added bonus or some LED flex strips (chainable)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 24pin connectors are very neat indeed and available in several coulurs, peronialy i like black and blue, an even sleeker look is achieved with a no heat shrink design
    [​IMG]

The same no shrink is also true of the 6pin PCIe
    [​IMG]

Some of the other cables in the range due to there design have some heat shirink but are presented very neat and precise
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All pins and connectors are high qualty with well deffined pins some are plated for better contact

The sleeving realy is excelent, unfortunatly i dont have the time or resources to sleeve my HAF90 PSU but thankfully now i wont haft to, the sleeving is both dense and attractive

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finaly we have some Bitfenix Alchemy LED Flexstrips
    I have seen and owned many different types of these over the years but Bitfenix have gone the extra mile and made them chain able, several connectors are included to allow you to daisy chain many strips in to one super long strip

[​IMG]

Each flex strip is supplied with molex connector, power lead, 1inch chain connector and a pair of micro chain connectors

[​IMG]

Available in a variety of colors and lengths when the description read "Super Bright" they were not kidding, 4 of these can light a large living room, and the LEDs are top notch for quality
    [​IMG]

It is a massive thanks to Bitfenix for sharing some of there brilliant Alchemy series products with me
    [​IMG]

14. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

AH ha Spotted the obligatory bare foot shot.

(all good Project Logs Have them :p)

Looks good btw, What were you using to model the side panel?

15. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Mere seconds before i dropped the drill on it lol

mnpctech likes this.
  16. mnpctech

The Blue sleeving looks good! and perfect choice. I would have metal slivers if I walked barefoot in my shop...lol