1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Unable to delete or modify files HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by cgcox1, 18 Jan 2012.

1. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

Hi all,

I am at my fathers and we have set up a new pc that we have built. It has an SSD as the main drive for Windows 7 64-bit and the programs and has a mirrored RAID array as the D drive that is to be used for data storage.

The problem we have is that we have changed the location of the My Documents folder, My Pictures Folder etc to the D drive. Now the files are not able to be amended and in the case of the outlook pst file deleted. I have tried set permission for the users to full control, make sure ownership of the files is with the Adminastrative user (which we are logged in as) and remove any read-only flags where possible, but are still have a great deal of trouble.

Is it only possible to have the My Documents folder etc on the main drive and in the Users folder? or is there some setting or settings they i need to apply.

Any help, most welcome.

Cheers.

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

What error do you get when trying to write to the RAID?

3. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Assuming you used the built in method, you can have it on another drive - I do. No need to have photos and word documents on an SSD.

Was this software RAID (within Windows) or hardware RAID (intel chipset)? Not sure but wouldn't the latter allow you to recover the data via a linux live cd?
    If it isn't a case of saving the data... just break up/format the RAID and start again?

4. cgcox1

I just decided to restore the the My Documents, My Pictures folders to there original locations on the ssd using the Restore to Default button and everything works fine and as it should. I went for this option for now as I was time restricted. Although still interested in an answer to the problem/situation for when i return.

The error was Unable To Write To Media or The Media is Write Protected. Although this is a Windows created message as the RAIDed discs are perfectly writeable too and seem to be write protected by Windows. If you right clicked on a file the delete option wasnt in the option list. It was also able unable to change the permissions of the folders due to the same error.

I did use the built in method, as in opening the user name, right clicking on the My Documents folder and changing the location to the Mirror'd drive. The folder is moved but for should reason becomes the files seem to become write protected ie you can open a Word document, make an amendment, but are unable to then then save the document.

The RAID array was made with the JMicron controller built into the motherboard, although i dont think this has anthing to do with the problem.

5. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Yeah, that is the way, but I didn't come across a problem like that myself.
    JMicron eh? They don't have a very good reputation, if I remember right. Maybe check over the settings for it. See if you have the latest BIOS or not too.
    You didn't say which motherboard... If you have a chipset with an intel SATA controller that supports RAID too, you might want to try that instead.

6. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

7. cgcox1

Yep its JMicron, theres no intel option as its a ICH9 not a ICH9R chipset so there no RAID option. The motherboard is an ASUS P5KC and i have updated it to the latest BIOS.

8. cgcox1