1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 460 Appreciation Society - Plus VGA Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 13 Nov 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Heh cheers Blogins. :D

I had a look around and Ket (from XS) already has a modded BIOS for tons of GTX460s including mine, the Palit Sonic 1GB. Default fan speed on all his BIOS mods is 30%, but I'm really not sure about it tbh... if 40% is quiet enough for me to "bear" I'd rather that than risk bricking my only graphics card!

I did play around with the Delta on my own PWM controller it spins at about 5% so all's good there; but I would rather have it at 30% at least so that my GPU doesn't overheat lol. :D

2. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Come on Lenny! You have come this far, can't turn aroud now!

Let's see just how deep the rabbit hole goes ;)

[​IMG]

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I wouldn't trust a BIOS from anywhere other than the original manufacturer LennyRhys. That's why it's best to alter the BIOS already found on your card. Much like the Voltage BIOS MOD I did for mine, it'll simply remove the limitation imposed by the software. In my case the Voltage will remain exactly the same as it was from stock unless I increase it in Afterburner. I'd imagine it would be much the same for Fan Control.

Having said that if you were to try it I would strongly suggest you knock the 'Minimum' fan speed down to 35% in the altered BIOS at first and then observe what speed the GPU fan speed is upon booting into Windows. With any luck it's value would be hard set to 40% then this could be lowered in Afterburner to the minimum limit of 35%. If this rings true then setting it to 10% should in theory be fine and again it'll be through Afterburner that you can fine tune a fan profile.

Here's the thread with all the Fermi BIOS editing advice...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=336117

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Nice mod, how high do you reckon you would be able to push the fan Lenny before the header failed?

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@ Blogins thanks for the input and for the link. I'm still wary of flashing my vBIOS but will think about it... a simpler solution would be to buy a less powerful 92mm PWM fan LOL. :D

@ George, I think the PCB track would fail long before the header did, and I'm not going to test that one out lol :D It will handle this fan at full speed no bother though (already has, at 4300rpm in Afterburner). Although the fan is rated at 600mA, that's a max value which allows for startup current; operational current draw at full speed is probably 400mA which is not a lot. The header will be good for well over 1 amp, but the PCB track probably not! ;)

6. Kiliv

Kiliv What's a Dremel?

What did you use to attach that to the vrms? And did you use thermal paste or tape? Looks great!

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I currently have a pre-production 1GB GTX 460, on which the stock settings are 650/1300/850(3400), with the vcore @0.962, the bios version is 70.04.11.00.01.
    i run it overclocked for games @800/1600/1000 with the same vcore as can't be adjusted via afterburner.
    does anyone think I would benefit from 'upgrading' the bios to a newer version to unlock the voltage and push it a bit further? bare in mind this is a PRE-PRODUCTION card straight from nvidia and as such I don't have an official vendor I can go to.

thanks!

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Use GPUZ to download a copy of your BIOS direct from the graphics card itself.

Alter the voltage limit with the FERMI BIOS EDITOR and then flash it to your graphics card.

All the advice and links you need are contained in this thread.

9. The_Crapman

Cheers mate. that'll be todays fun! :)
    And yes I probably should have :read: .....

10. The_Crapman

God dam it what have you bastrds done! I only started benchmarking to see if I could get more out the GPU by lowering my memory speed. But first, "AH HA!:idea: i should first get a reference score from the stock speeds. not before i've disabled chassic fan control in the bios, AND adjusting my speedfan settings to set my CPU fan and intake/exhaust on 100%min.

Then, i had another eureka moment. :duh:
    If i've got the CPU and case fans on max, of course i've got to put my GFX fan to 100% :wallbash:(3450-3480rpm according to afterburner:jawdrop:)
    Hmmmm, thats loud. Very loud!

Sadly, i had another eureka moment :waah:
    Well we'll watch all the temps on max and min and all the various profiles in between. see how it affects the temp and help get the fan control to a fine art.......:sigh: but :rock: with plenty of :clap: maybe a smidge of :wallbash:
    there's a spreadsheet involved too which i'll show you, but first......

Introducing Betsy :D
    [​IMG]

I drew some arrows to show where the air from the intake is going. the pcb of the GFX card is in line with the centre of the front 120mm fan, a big ol' Core2Extreme CPU cooler, 120 rear exhaust and a top tri-cool 120 which isn't currently in operation due to a lack of 4pin molex (don't have any at all!) to power it.

Now for the star of the show, I give you 'The Black Death'
    [​IMG]

Screen print of system at idle with my current standard overclock for gaming.
    [​IMG]
    I've had no troubles at all with this overclock at the stock voltage of 0.962v and was surprised by other peoples dificulty with overclocking the ram. So will be trying to overclock the core more with lower ram speeds to see whats best. And that before i start playing with the vcore :D

Best score on stock speeds, which on mine is 650/1300/850(3400)
    [​IMG]

And the rest of the scores so far. These are all with CPU and case fans at 100%.
    [​IMG]
    The 'Order' column is the order in which the tests. It's in a funny order as I was never going to do a run with the speed fixed at it's minimum, but did it in error and decided to add it, see what it could do at near silent.

I was going to do 3 of each but i think 2 will be fine unless i see a temperature result that seems odd, or any other anomily. it's still 6 runs with the same clock references after all.

i'm off to go do some gaming before this addiction takes hold. But, i'll be back :naughty:

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's lots of information!

Now unlock the voltage and get some real overclocking on the run! :D

12. The_Crapman

Yeh. I often go way OTT on detail. But that kind of anal, pedantic attention to detail is what will hopefully get me a QA job i had an interview for on monday. And it's why my girlfriend likens me to sheldon cooper
    [​IMG]
    And my mutant zombies have been causing me quite a headache. The latest version of which just start eating themselves as soon they're fully functional. Must be a consequence of the improved rage gene i spliced in. Never seen anything devour it's own........:worried: ...... :worried: don't go telling anyone or you'll see what a zombie can do with a dremel! :dremel::eyebrow:

i'm going to go through a few different clocks and test how far the GPU will go with stock mem speed and the fans on full blast, the settings for the best score on heaven, lowest possible fanspeed for under 80c and a custom profile that will be tweaked through the course of this endevor. Not going into this voltage malarky blind!:nono::)

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. The_Crapman

Right then. Update so far on stock voltage - 0.962v Get prepared for information! :rock:

Full Systems Spec Screenshot
    [​IMG]

Best score so far

1187 - 800/1700/2000(4000 effective) Fan at constant 40%(1740-1770rpm) Start temp: 31, Highest temp after 2 consequtive runs: 72.

[​IMG]

And the scores on the board, with completed testing up to 815/1630/1700
    [​IMG]
    Got a bit greedy and went for 830/1660/1700, got artifacts after the first section. and unable to unlock core-shader clock link through afterburner. so thats it till tomorrow. It's Bios time me thinks! :naughty:

Also, someone else want to replicate my benchmarks using the same settings in heaven? would like to see how my scores compare. :worried: although i'm probably going to get embarassed by your overclocks. and your overclocked sandybitches! :baby:
    :idea: to make it as fair a test as possible, have your i5/7 clocked to constant 3.3Ghz.

go on, you know you want too! :thumb::D

14. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Well mine are all fine at 900 MHz ( BOINC 24/7) even my Sonic ( 700 MHz std ) ! ! !

Had a scare today, I built the PC into my new Antec P280 case but the Sonic just started to fry, I suspended GPU WU's at 87 degrees... I guess that facing downwards doesn't do them any favours as in my HTPC it's running at 64 degrees at the same load ? ? ? That's a 30+ degree drop just by positioning it vertically !

dunx

P.S. Sadly I expect to move mine on soon as I fancy more Powah ! LoL...

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'm just going to put this right here...

[​IMG]

For my signature machine! :D

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

[​IMG]

This is the best I could get... at 900mhz. Looks like I will have to BIOS mod for moar volts? < is that what some of you crazy cats have been doing?

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Impressive! What's the maximum your MSI Hawk reaches on the volts with stock BIOS?

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Have you a reliable way of telling?

GPUz says 1.0250, but I think that is the stock top and not the overclocked top. Would it be sat at 1.1250 then? Is that a reasonable guesstimate? (Are 100 mVs the first decimal?)

I know my temps don't go very high when not using furmark. Talking 62c max when using 3dmark and unigine... but 82c when using furmark.

I'd say I have some head room perhaps with more volts? I was a 910mhz but had to back down to 900mhz to reduce artefacts during both benchs... I've yet to use the built in bench of Just Cause 2 though, as Bit-tech seemed to suggest in an earlier review at some point that it is picky about overclocked cards.

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The MSI GTX 460 Hawk lacks VRM cooling from what I'm reading so don't get to voltage happy!

Also to find the maximum voltage possible just move the slider up in Afterburner but DO NO APPLY THIS VOLTAGE!

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Hmmm... Maximum is applied is plus 100mV. I needed that for the overclock to stay stable. However, gpu_z tells me it is 1.025... But thus value never changes. So is there better software to confirm what it it running at.

I may have to cool those vrms then with extra goodies then.