1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD targeted by Arctic over Fusion brand

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

This really is starting to get out of hand.

If Arctic were making CPUs, then I could possibly understand it.

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Unless you name you products like this "a5E-893myY@D-v1.0", you'll always endup with a name already given. This is really disappointing, ridiculous and immature.

People are starving, others do not have home or water to drink, children got killed ... and they are fighting for a name ? I'm getting sick of all those useless business wars (Apple/Samsung, AMD/Arctic, etc..).

EDIT : Doesn't ANtec have an HTPC case named Fusion ? Hasn't VMware got a product named Fusion ? Isn't Ford selling a car named Fusion ? etc, etc, etc ...

4. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Could be interesting, as like the article pointed out, AMD don't actually use the name Fusion as a noun, they use it as a verb, and they don't actually call any of their products fusion.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

After taking legal advice AMD decide to ditch the whole naming brand? Arctic clearly have something here therefore, AMD need to pay up for use of the brand name while it used it.

6. GuilleAcoustic

There's already a LOT of product name fusion out here : Ford Fusion, VMware Fusion, Antec Fusion, etc..... They should care about important things or maybe this is an easy way to make money

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Just seem's to me that every company is following Apple's trend of sueing anyone who they can.

I mean what's next are they going to take Gillette to court over the fact they use the word Fusion in there naming of a product they sell.

I am all for people getting what they deserve but sometimes it just goes to far and is to petty.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Nice to see another company beating the deflated cashcow with the litigation stick. I'm sure that ultimately pointless lawsuit will save the world from economic disaster.

9. GuilleAcoustic

Right mate :).If they have money to waste in childish law suites, they could give it to the red cross, build schools or hospital with it. Damn sharks ! (sorry but that's making me sick, sometimes I'm ashamed to be a human being)

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I would have thought they'd be better off going after Antec, as don't Arctic make cases too. They'd have slightly more of a point then.

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Especially since it's Gillette Fusion Power.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It will be in the news next weel lol

Artic Cooling sueing Gillette over the name of a product's.

I just wish that when these big companies do this type of thing that the judge or who ever say's well as you don't exactly need the money, you are to give 50% of the awarded fund's to a charity.

I mean Help For Heroes need's all the money they can get.

13. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

It is always gratifying to hear in a world where peoples jobs are disappearing, wages crashing, homes closing, that the lawyers can make a big fat wad of cash for themselves making up this drivel.

14. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

When the lawyers take this massive decision off the marketing brand department within AMD, you have to understand there must be something in it. It's clearly better for AMD to use the Fusion brand name but to have to stop and rebrand everything costs huge amounts of money. So the bean counters have decided that it's cheaper to rebrand and pay up to date than keep Fusion and pay royalties.

Shouldn't the lawyers have been consulted before the Fusion brand launch? I'm sure there are brand protection lawyers out there who sniff these things out.

15. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I am sure they already give a lot of money to charity for tax breaks.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

You would have thought that they would have looked in to it before releasing it wouldn't you?

Or is that just us regular folk thinking reasonably unlike these people who seem to think let's see if we can get away with it or not.

17. sinner666999

sinner666999 What's a Dremel?

Rediculous! I hope Artic gets the book thrown at them for wasting a courts time.

18. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

My thoughts exactly. The Antec didn't immediately spring to mind, but I used to have one (fine case too!). Maybe AMD should instead go talk to them about pursuing legislation to cover for context in naming being wholly relevant. I can't imagine a scenario where someone wanting to buy a PSU might mistake it for a CPU product. Or a Car. Or a Leisure management company. Or a nuclear bomb. Or...ironically enough, a branding company. If it were a direct & verbatim product identifier they might have some sort of case & despite the fact that AMD themselves have been questionably guilty of rather more targetted copyright theft, I'm on their side with this one.

But now of course AMD run the risk of being sued by the Financial Services Authority......god forbid anyone mail orders a new FSA processor & gets sent a PPI claim form instead! :sigh:

Oops, my bad- HSA, not FSA, Humane Slaughter Association...order a CPU and get bits of dead animal....

Last edited: 24 Jan 2012
  19. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Imho arctic needs to sit on the naughty step. Their psus don't appear to have any 'fusion' about them. Also if you google 'arctic fusion' the first arctic related site is a review and comes after a dog breeding site and even a news article on this lawsuit. if you genuinely have a claim which is genuinely impacting your business then I'm all for royalties being paid and lawsuits filed. But this is a just not called for. This could have a negative impact on arctic though as I have considered blacklisting them for their childish antics, and I wonder how many people will do the same. Shame as I like their products, but they arnt significantly cheaper or better than the competition, so switching to an alternative product will be easy.

20. Jqim

Jqim What's a Dremel?

Petty problems

Tags: Add Tags