1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Advice on a power supply please !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by l1m1tl3ss, 23 Jan 2012.

1. l1m1tl3ss

l1m1tl3ss What's a Dremel?

Hey guys having spent some time looking on that there internet place and being completely bambooozled but the amount of choice I feel I need to ask advice on what Power supply to get.

Currently running a dated Akasa AK-P085FG 850W and it gets a little noisy (I think its the one noisy thing left to replace)

I'm looking at preferably a full modular Power supply giving out 1000w and nice and quite under load.

I looked at the guide here in the forums and it seemed a little dated. so wanted a fresh look at my options.

System specs are quite high and used several calculators and think 1000w should be good for now and future proof:
    I5 2500k (oced to 4.2 with stock cooler)
    16 gb corsair vengance ram (1600mhz)
    4 hdds 2 WD and 2 seagate
    1 x Mushkin SSD
    1 x Optical Drive ( dvd/rw lightscribe)
    1 x Asus p8p67 delux mobo
    1 x PNY gtx 580 xlr8
    1 x creative titanium sound card
    3 x 220 mm case fans
    2 x 24/7 usb device
    1 x multi card reader
    (soon to upgrade cpu to i7 2700k with cooler to intel alc BXRTS2011LC)

single rail, dual rail ... Quad rail !!! 80 plus cert ( bronze, silver gold and Plat !!!)

I know what you play for is what you get and looking at a minimum of £100 so that is ok as a starting point.

So any advice is good advice please guys and thanks in advance.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2012
  2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

whats your specs ? 1000W is monstrous and you would need quad xfire or maybe tri-SLI + lots of extras to pull that kind of power .

3. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

I'm on my phone at the moment, but I'd you go on Scan.co.uk, in the top bar click on power supply, then under modular click on >1000w. Then pick one from a reputable brand e.g. Corsair, silverstone etc. :)

4. l1m1tl3ss

Sorry mate I have edited the post and added my system spec. Thanks for interest.

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

You do not need 1000W. 850, at most. And Corsair do some very nice 850Watt units, as do Antec and Silverstone.

I may have bought 1000W, but that's only because it's most efficient at 500W. About right for my max load.

6. l1m1tl3ss

Hey mate.I looked at scan and also some of the reviews and different sites/ customers have varied opinions on what is (reputable)

Corsair silverstone XFX I have looked at loads and even more confused then when I started

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Corsair are one of the best. Their AX Pro models are quite possibly the best in the market today, however; They're sodding expensive. I mean Close to £70 premium over everything else.

Although if you have the money, I would recommend this.

Rated as the most stable PSU on the market. I ain't gonna argue with those claims after all the proof I've seen.

8. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Corsair HX750 or Corsair HX850 will sort you out no problem.

Itchy

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Your system will run happily on a 700w frankly, some will tell you otherwise.

Get a bit more to cover yourself if you ever want SLI or some such.

I thoroughly recommend the Corsair AX series, they are a bit more expensive but they are top notch.

Unboxing of the 850w :

10. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

This is what you need ^^^^

I went for the Corsair AX 850W. Nice power supply, but from reading the reviews I could have picked up an HX series (not quite as good, but near as dammit) and saved some money.

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

No need for a 1000w. Get a decent corsair 750w. Or 850w if you plan on adding another gtx 580 in the future.

Corsair have awesome support and warrenty so I would stick with them (from personal experience)

12. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

From those specs, I would also say a Corsair AX850. If you REALLY REALLY want to feel safe, and you have a lot of money to spare, go for the Corsair HX1050. Apparently, that was eligible for 80+ Gold (apparently), but they decided to stick with the 80+ Silver on the label.

Difference is around £10 on scan. £159 vs. £150. The HX is semi modular. The AX is fully modular. From the reviews everywhere, both appear to be excellent. One is deeper than the other, If both will fit, i would say go for the HX1050. PSUs degrade over time, so this will buy you more time...

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Sorry you feel that way. The higher quality components, fully modular cabling and switch off fan feature for me is worth the extra £19 or whatever...

(actually not sure if the HX has the fan thing or not)

14. l1m1tl3ss

Looking at the AX as the HX is not fully modular and I would like that option so I can swap out the cables at some point.

One thing I didnt consider is the size and with the rad/fan for the GTX580 sitting on the bottom of the case I think most 1000w power supply's will be just to big.

Looking at most of the reply's the general info seems to be go with Corsair so I am happy to take this advice.

With a little bit of shopping found AX for £140 with free shipping.

I guess with it being more efficient and single rail it will out perform my current easy and at same power.

The only down side I could see in Linus video is the amount of cables but lets face it that is why we buy modular so we can select as little as possible to have in.

Also with the 7 year warranty from corsair it good piece of mind and if something should happen 6 years and 3 months down the line and get a new one Oh well never mind by then will all be using computers powered by Dilithium crystal anyway.

Thanks all for your help and will be ordering tomorrow if anyone wants to add anymore advice.

Thanks again

15. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Don't get me wrong the AX 850 is a very good psu and I'm very happy with it. Just want to give him options. I saw the hx850w for £120 on Amazon,which was £30 cheaper than the ax850w. At those price differences it's a tougher call.

16. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

No, it was only the 750 and 850W units that officially received an 80Plus Gold certification but Corsair decided to market them as 80Plus Silver. The HX 1050 is only good for the Silver cert.