1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD targeted by Arctic over Fusion brand

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Jan 2012.

1. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Just stupid. I hope artic get hit for a massive set of legal bils when this petty issue get chucked out if court. If i was ford i'd be getting hold of copies of all the filed suits and start crossing out Artic to pencil in Ford and crossing out AMD to pencil in Artic before filing them all in to the same court.

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Excellent paraphrasing :thumb:

This HSA thing makes a little more sense now, but surely this just opens up AMD to a claim from an annoyingly memorable health insurance company:

http://tvs-worst-adverts.co.uk/hsa-hey-just-say/

3. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Previously, I'd always thought that fusion was a word. Thankfully, I now know better.

4. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Total tosh, bunch of idiots, etc etc etc

I work in Fusion Research, fusion is a scientific word from Latin which is near 500 years old, no one should lay claim to a word, as a concept totally different, but as AMD make a system they called fusion, they should be able to use it.

TBH there are way too many companies seeking damages from others on the basis that the name they use is theirs alone, not the technology they invent.

From now on, I will patent ANY word I feel like, then when its been used for a few years I'll cash in on it well if they can, why can't I?

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Ask 3 lawyers for their opinion and you get at least 4 different answers.

In other words:

If common words like Windows, Fusion, Apple and so on can be protected or not is debatable, at least according to some Lawyers.

6. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Soooo, 2012, patent trolling still rolling... I guess the world is safe...
    What given right has Arctic to stop sales of a product which doesn't belong to them and won't carry the Fusion name. I would like to see Physics tell Arctic to shove it because they were the ones to study and create fusions in lab. Or the Earth itself, the fusion of rock into lava! Ha!

7. GaMEChld

GaMEChld What's a Dremel?

I will sue everyone on behalf of Mark Oliphant; first to fuse hydrogen!

8. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Think you'll find that the Sun has been doing this for many years before anyone else, so maybe the Sun should be suing everyone?

9. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Hmm, perhaps a nuclear power company should sue Arctic over using 'Fusion' as a name. As their product is clearly not causing a nuclear reaction, surly this comes under the trade description act or false advertising?

10. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

maybe I should patent all numbers, letters or. basic shapes :D. They should focus on making good product instead of wasting their money in futile procedures. AMD is not even competing in the same kind of product.

11. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

What a load of conFusion......oh no....I'm gonna get sued

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: I know :duh: WTF is the world coming to, truly pathetic stuff.

Is nit picking over simple names the sign of tech not evolving much or just 1 company failing to produce awesome products everyone wants who it's relevant to so they go this way to make up for lost cash? or in Apples case just straight up greedy gits.

It must be hard for new awesome innovative people with awesome ideas & know how to realise the ideas & then get shot down by a lame company over a stupid word, wow how crap is that & it will surely hold back innovations because of people with mediocre ideas but scheming minds.

13. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I know it could be said I'm going off topic for the lawyer stuff but if they had sought legal advice before launching the Fusion branding then any subsequent legal action would then be passed on to the lawyer whose advice was given at the beginning. This way it would probably cost AMD a lot less or nothing anyway since the lawyers PI cover would pay out. With nothing being said of this and AMD changing its branding to a health protection name instead? (HSA) it could be assumed they now have advice telling them to pay up and move along. A hell of a way to waste money which AMD don't really have to waste at the moment. Who predicts job losses in the coming quarter at AMD? (Especially from the legal department)

14. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what the rules are for large corporations, but it's almost certain that they used their own legal team for the advice.

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

If it's a unique made up word for a brand then I could understand it but a word out of a dictionary is utterly stupid & no one should have exclusive rights where they can sue over regular words, completely crazy :confused:.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

18. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

There are no fusion power companies at present, its still at the R&D stage.
    (Fusion is different to Fission)

19. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Seems mad. But just look at 'Windows'. Though unless some company is directly competing in the same market with a similar product, trademarking widely used nouns shouldn't be a problem. Afaik Arctic doesn't plan on releasing a CPU anytime soon.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2012
  20. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

This is your third attempt to throw out the old "No smoke without fire" troll against AMD in this thread alone. Can you give the AMD bashing a rest for a few days?

Tags: Add Tags