1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling How often need to drain/refill system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 25 Jan 2012.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Hey all,
    I had my water system for about a year now. Pretty happy with, but how often do I need to drain/refill my loop? I'm using Freezer One Stuff (Highly expensive) so can I do it once in decade?

And on that topic -what about my block do I change that too, and how often?

Thanks all!

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Probably worth draining it now(after a year) checking the waterblocks for gunk then putting it back together and refilling.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I would tend to agree with the above.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I maybe change coolant once a year. Thermochill EC6. My waterblock can be disassembled and cleaned if necessary but I don't have gunk because I'm not using water.

5. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Can that depend on how much you use your system? I use mine like once a week or less now days, always busy or out doing stuff.

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have to admit that after a year of using water, with fluorescent colouring, the blocks were fine but aluminium res was coated in all sorts of gunk.

I need to get back into WC

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

OK feathers/the rest of you, this is yet another thread that I have had to clean up - can we keep it on track and civil please.

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Once a year would make sense with gunk etc

Surely as said its use dependant a 24/7 systems going to need to be cleaned more often than a "couple of hours after work" system due to heat cycling. Biocides and silver coiled will help to a point though

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

We don't make your job easy do we. Always having to clean up our threads. Could we interest you in a pay rise?

Yes, Alu res not good in my experience. The times when I used one I had a lot of black gunk coming out when I eventually cleaned it. Strangely enough the temperatures increased after I removed the black sludge so maybe it contained so much metal it was increasing the cooling of the water?

That was back in the days I used straight water.