1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Last advice before i build my rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Janek566, 25 Jan 2012.

1. Janek566

Janek566 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys i wrote on these forums before and received some great advice. Now i just want to know if you'd change anything in that build since i'm planning to order the parts today or tomorrow. Here's the parts list:

- Thermaltake Frio Advanced - bought
    - Corsair TX 650 V2 PSU - bought
    - MSI P67A GD53 (B3) Mobo - bought
    - 8GB kingston hyperx genesis RAM - bought
    - 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD,
    - Intel core i5 2500k 3.3GHz,
    - Samsung writemaster x22 DVD-R,
    - Silverstone Raven RV02B-EW Black Full Tower case,
    - 1GB MSI GTX 560Ti OC Twin Frozr II 40nm, 4200MHz GDDR5, GPU 880MHz, Shader 1760MHz, 384 Cores,
    - Cyborg V.5 keyboard,
    - 24" Iiyama Prolite E2473HDS-B1 Black LED LCD (1920x1080, 2ms)

I would appreciate any advice as maybe something is worth replacing in this kit. I included the already bought part so that you can get an image of the whole rig. Thank You

Janek566

2. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Without knowing exactly what you want to use the rig for i can't say too much but IMO it looks like a reasonable solid build.
    Its just a shame about the price of the HDD. I can remember paying £37 for mine last year.

3. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

If you want to game on it, you'll struggle to play games at high quality with the 560 1gb. Battlefield 3 would be a complete no no.

4. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

:duh:

The 560 Ti will handle bf3 1080p high settings with ease.

5. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

of course a 560 will run it on high settings, and ultra settings.

6. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

Not with 1gb it won't, not if you want AA or any nice effects. You'd need the 2048mb 560 Ti to get those at decent playable framerates.

Yes it will run high/ultra settings, but at about 40fps :(

7. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Seriously make up your mind.

The 560 Ti is a very capable card.

even my 560 non ti (1ghz core) runs bf with everything on high at 50-60fps.

8. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

Anti Aliasing, 16x Anisotropic, HBAO as well, I doubt it.

Doh, running it and it being playable are two different things :wallbash:

9. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Running BF3 at high in the 5x-6x fps range is not playable?

10. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

So you're running Anti Aliasing, 16x Anisotropic, HBAO? with those fps on a single 1gb 560?? Then you woke up and realised you we're dreaming :duh:

11. Janek566

Thank you very much for help! As usual you provide great knowledge. About the rig: I was more about seeing if any part of the build could be replaced by better quality for money. And I want in no way start a war and attack dave_beast but my brother can play high settings bf3 stable 50 fps on 480 so i dont see why the 560 ti (which i will overclock) couldn't handle bf3 on ultra. Thank You very much for feedback.

Janek566

12. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

You need more than 1gb of ram to get the better effects on BF3 like anti aliasing, and you can't magic 1gb into 2gb with overclocking!! Suggest spending a bit more to get 2gb or 570

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

dave_beast, give it a rest. one more insult and it's good bye.
    Your opinion is appreciated as is everyone else's, however no one mentioned Anti Aliasing, 16x Anisotropic, HBAO etc until you did.

The card will run high and ultra settings just fine, but maybe not so great with all the extra gubbins switched on.

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The build overall looks good although if you have the budget I would strongly reccomend slotting in a 120/128GB SSD to act as a boot drive / primary game drive (Origin on SSD, Steam on HD).

The improved feeling you get from a system running on an SDD is very much worth the cost.

It is a shame you didn't go for a Z68 board as then you could have ran a 64GB SSD and the 1TB HD together using Intel SRT (SSD caching). This would of given you the best of both worlds.

The GTX560Ti will easily be enough for BF3 at 1080p and a mixture of high and ultra settings (SSAO or HBAO). Deffered AA will be a no go regardless of the amount of Vram it has. Overclockers (UK) might have shown the 2GB model to be ~80% faster than the 1GB model in BF3 but it was a totally unrealistic "test", the 2GB card still only scraped low 30fps average with minimums in the teens.

TBH once you start playing the game properly you will not really notice the benefits deffered AA give you over just running "free" post AA.

The rest of the build looks decent and can only really be "bettered" in a subjective way (ie a different case).

Are you aware that there is a Raven 3 out now? If not it may be worth a look although the RV02 might be better for your needs (I don't know I havn't really looked into it).

15. Deders

Deders Modder

Bf3 does need more than 1GB to run at 1080p on ultra settings, but if you turn down the textures a notch and only use 1 type of anti aliasing you should be able to keep the rest on ultra.

The 480 has 1.5GB ram

16. Janek566

I don't need that extra edge in responsiveness i will only use windows for games. Rest of work will be done on linux which doesn't need any idiotic hardware boosts. Although the technology sounds cool, I wanted to be able to go for ivy bridge in future and therefore chose p67. And yes ive seen raven 3 but it's not as big and i am not sure if everything i chose will fit. And also i prefer 3 smaller fans with dust covers rather than 2 massive ones. RV2 still has a 90 degree design and so it's good for me. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Janek566

17. Janek566

sorry my bad. I meant 460. And by the way the order is now complete i will get all my parts tommorow with bit-tech free next deay delivery :D
    Thanks Guys!

Janek566

18. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

Insult? Where? Anyway, moving on, you've confirmed what i'm saying about "extra gubbins", those are the extra gubbins which make the game look great, better than the console version. If you don't mind playing at those reduced settings, i.e not getting the full PC experience, you might as well spend the money you're spending on a GPU on an Xbox.

19. Deders

Deders Modder

Xbox would be closer to minimum settings.

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I have the same psu, cpu and gpu as you, check my gpu options thread, i recently purchased a 560ti and have listed my fps on high and ultra settings for bf3. also the bit-tech bf3 performance guide is very helpfull.

personally very happy with it.