1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Raspberry Pi: the modder's dream machine?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Jan 2012.

1. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

pretty stoked to use one of these as a media pc :)

2. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

need more RAM.... LoL

I can see this in my car, as the Zotac mitx is a bit large !

dunx

3. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Already working on designs for a fullcover waterblock for it ;)

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

[​IMG]

when can i buy it?

5. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

What about a dozen of these networked together to render?

6. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Someone forgets about the shifting demand for programmers in the UK, that the main programming industry has now been outsourced to massive programming warehouses aboard where it is much cheaper to find a contract there for something there or to even setup a subsidiary/joint venture.

Yes, there is a niche market for niche programmers, just like this web site, but even this website had to change with times.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's already a name for a cluster of Raspberry Pis: a Bramble Patch. Yarly.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2012
  8. DbD

DbD Minimodder

It's just a 700mhz ARM11, same as for example you got in a zune or a lot of old phones. i.e. in nvidia terms it's basically a tegra 1. We are now onto quad core A9's (tegra 3).

Shame they didn't do a faster version - not just for performance benefits but the old cpu doesn't support many of the features of newer chips for which most software is now designed making it harder to port that software to a rasberri (e.g. flash).

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

It's a matter of cost.

The RasPi is intended to be for developing hacking (in the original sense) skills, not just for grunt work.

10. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Ahhh, the problem I found there is no screws near the CPU, and like I said in one of the topics, you could try and bend it across, or possibly, make new holes in the motherboard..

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I don't get it.

It's just an ARM dev board.

And even if it does run linux, well, it runs... linux.

If you want to get people coding, give them something they can write for in, say, Visual Studio.

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Linux has lot's of nice devel tools. I'm a computer engineer and code for a living for 10 years now, I used to use Visual but sincerely I really prefear coding with emacs.

It is a perfect and cheap way to learn the very basics and this is a treasure for people like me who are interested in embedded computing (drone's, etc.). It is easy to have a soft running smoothly on our crunching machine ... but how many developper can make a good program with restricted CPU and memory ? This board is the way to learn great programming skills.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Are you saying a fully operational computer with all the relevent inputs and outputs that can be bought for $35 (or less) isn't interesting? I'm half tempted to buy one just to use it as an uber-geeky dandly-dice in my car.

14. wyx087

15. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

The Pi is one of the options I am considering for controlling my cooling loop (by the end of the year I expect to have a complex wc loop cooling multiple computers, possibly using underground pipes to cool the water). I have been considering a mini-itx system to double as a dedicated firewall, but the pi would be an excellent and nicely compact way of doing it :) If I take that route, it would be housed in the bottom section of the Little Devil case I'll be building a system in throughout this year :)

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I liked the sound of that, so I tried to order it from Mouser (TI's UK distributor). £4 for the device. £12 for the postage. :wallbash:

17. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm using a T-balancer for this at the moment but would be interested if a project to use this as a WC monitor/control device gets some momentum.

18. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I read somewhere, can't remember where that this is a lot more powerful than the new iPhone 4S, not sure if thats correct or not..

19. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Pair this with a USB powered touch monitor and you have an extremely power efficient jukebox. Ahh, the possibilities are endless!

20. wyx087

uk.farnell.com/texas-instruments/msp-exp430g2/kit-dev-msp430-launchpad/dp/1853793
    Farnel never fails :)

Jake, what it is saying is that its graphics processing is twice faster than iPhone 4S, which has one of the fastest SoC in terms of graphics. RPi's CPU unfortunately will be very weak, not comparable to those modern SoC's out there.

Tags: Add Tags