1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Anything wrong with this SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by russ555, 28 Jan 2012.

1. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

2. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

i just installed one of these into my new build. from a purely superficial view, it is fantastic. windows loads in about 4 seconds!

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Nothing wrong with that ssd at all.

But crucial have a deal on the m4 atm.
    I pull this froma nother thread
    Found via HotUKDeals

'Crucial M4 from the crucial website available for £127.76 when using code naughty7 (7% off)

Linky

If you use cashback websites as well you can 15% using TopCashBack to make the price £111.76.

Bargain!

For info the cashback deal runs out in 4 days, dont know how long the Crucial code lasts.

Been umming and ahhing over this SSD for a while. Think I might finally be tempted especially as I got a bonus this month

Just gotta double check the storage space at home first.

EDIT: It also looks like the code works across the whole range (64GB to 256GB)'

I know SSD's use a lot less power than a hardrive but I don't know how much less. Sorry.

4. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

That's enough info anyway thanks :)

EDIT: Nevermind the edit I derped xD

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Yeah it's in pounds mate.
    You will need to buy from the crucial site to get the discount though.

6. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Now the question is, is there any reason to go for one over the other?

About the price of it I forgot to enter the code, once I did that the price matched what you said :)

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Well I actually had the agility and it developed a flaw so I changed it for the M4. I couldn't be happier (Well Another 60gb wouldn't do any harm)

Even though the the agility says it should do Read 525MB/s, Write 500MB/s it doesn't come near it according to Bit-tech
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2011/08/17/ocz-agility-3-240gb-review/1

The m4 seems to be the all round winner especially when you go over 64 gb.

8. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Going to go with the M4.

Is there a cash back site you would recommend as I have never used one.

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Either have i :( Amm. Maybe somebody else can help on that? :rock:

10. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

11. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 29 Jan 2012
    sparkyboy22 likes this.
  12. dBass

dBass What's a Dremel?

From what I've read most people prefer the Crucial because of the reliability and customer service. When looking at SSD's the M4 was recommended more often than any other drive, especially by people who had had problems with other SSD's and decided to switch.

13. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Appreciated. Dont forget about checking there before you buy anything alse. I earnt £340 through it last year!

14. Cutter

Cutter What's a Dremel?

Quidco and Topcashback both have deals with Crucial, but the Quidco one seems to suggest that its either or - i.e. you can either get 7% off with the code, or the 15% cashback, but not both. Topcashback is silent on this point.

Anyone know the definite answer here?

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've used this today - got 7% off a 64GB model and then 15% cashback as well - on quidco. You 'only' get the 15% cashback on the price excluding VAT after the discount (still around £9 back on a £71 drive) - it's tracked on quidco too so definitely works (will take some time for the cashback to be payable but that's the same with all transactions on all sites)

EDIT: Also, the 15% cashback runs out tomorrow evening as mentioned above - not sure about the 7% crucial code however

16. Jackg

Jackg What's a Dremel?

I have just ordered using that code as well!
    Waiting for my nice new M4 now.

17. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I would avoid crucial drives completely, based on the 5000 hour bug which is resolved in firmware 0309 and effects all drive firmwares below. However this firmware also intrduces another bug which causes problems in RAID arrays i.e random drive dropouts. Once your M4 hits 5000 hours your machine will either BSOD or randomly re-boot within 1 hour. This has caused a massive headache for me as i now have to trawl through 8 months of invoices and track down all the M4's i sold (250+). Crucial support are useless and i already have a stack of 11 512gig drives on my desk that are of no use until thae next firmware update is released in a couple of weeks.

18. Cutter

Cutter What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the heads up Pookie. I'm not using a RAID array so the 0309 firmware should be fine for me until the next one comes out. Crucial's UK office is close to me so any issues with phone support and I can turn up in person at their door! :D

Following up my earlier post, the voucher code for the 7% off worked and the cashback is now also tracked through Topcashback.

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I don't like the green and black logo.

Also I avoid anything with OCZ printed on it now.

I looked at getting one of those last year but I read so many issues from people having BSODS and poor performance I went for Kingston instead.

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Oh dear.

Problem is that this forum is one that tends to have the little sheep mentality. Someone says something is good and then everyone on the forum says it's good. Crucial M4 is the thing everyone on the forum is buying because everyone else is saying it's good.

Names to avoid in SSD:

OCZ
    Corsair
    Crucial