1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Ouch! Walking on Ice

Discussion in 'General' started by Houndofhell, 1 Feb 2012.

1. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

So yeah you can probably guess from the title that where i'm living currently, its just snowed the other day and this morning there was an abundance of ice left over.

Still quite pleased i only fell over twice as it was mostly sheet/black ice. Anyone got any horror stories or tips for walking in icy areas?

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I cannot wait for the snow! Will hopefully disrupt the trains so much that I will have to work from home :)

I can't offer any tips but I have seriously been considering buying some ice grip / snow shoes......

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Cat litter is better than grit or salt. True story!

4. Houndofhell

I really don't know whether i should even ask how you discovered that!

I love the snow itself i just hate the left over ice. I took it slow going to work today, its usually a 25 minute walk to my office building on site but today it took me 50 minutes.

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It really isn't! Tried it once and it just absorbs the water, when the temperature goes above zero it dissolves into a mush and then refreezes giving you a nice shiny surface!

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Do a search for Yakk Trax and try and get some while you can.

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Walk as normally as possible. The more you take extra care to not slip over the more you put yourself off your natural balance and therefore the more likely it is that you will fall. I can't provide any evidence for this other than my own personal experience though.

tl;dr Ignore the ice, walk like a boss. :D

8. Houndofhell

...Five minutes later...pick self up off ground

Yeah i tried to walk as normally as possible, occasionaly testing the ground in front with one of my feet.

9. Kiliv

Kiliv What's a Dremel?

I second this there great in the snow

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I almost had a nasty accident at christmas last year where I almost slipped over on my aunt's patio. Fortunately I seem to have aquired some catlike ability to stay on my feet from some combination of fencing and snowboarding as I managed to avoid the inevitable.

If you're falling over then perhaps it might be a good idea to find some way of protecting yourself when you do as well as looking for methods to avoiding slipping in the first place.

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Very good point. Hats are as much just in case protection as they are warmth.

12. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

I've had these for a number of years and they are awesome.
    No more landing on my arse!

13. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Walk!? Screw that I ran to work one year, over sheet ice and through 1 foot thick snow. I then skidded for about 100M right through the door into the shop where I work. True story. lol

14. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Walk like Jesus - with your arms out like you're going to hug something. The staying upright during slips key is keeping your center of gravity over the foot on the ground.

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I cycled to work in the snow and ice last year, So glad i have chunky tires and not road tires.

Sam

16. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

We had about 5 mins of light snow yesterday in Loughborough, then it was just cold :miffed:

17. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

We had snow yesterday, had to clean the car off before leaving work, not what you want if your running late already.

Definitely the way. Lean back slightly going up hill and forward down hill. (Much harder down hill). Had plenty of practice last week in Switzerland.

18. casann

casann What's a Dremel?

Get better shoes ! lol . I'm not looking forward to the ice . we live on top of a really steep hill so when it comes i'm sure they'll be a story for you all to laugh at , espcially with my fiance- Noizdaemon- running to work everyday haha

Can't wait for the snow however - needs a kick up the backside not seen even a flake of it yet . I want to build a snow man already lol

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Proper shoes and carefulness. Ice cleats are fine if you can actually use them, but frankly I rather take my chances than use any of those damn things.

AND, the most important thing: When you DO fall, DO NOT USE YOUR WRISTS TO TAKE THE IMPACT! Butthurt is one thing, but broken bones a whole other.

20. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yeah, never use your wrists..........use your face, much safer ;) lol No, good advice from Jipa there :thumb: I've never attached anything to my shoes or worn special shoes, I feel much safer in my normal shoes which I know will react a certain way to certain ground types.