1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Headset not working with Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HiMyNameIsWill, 1 Feb 2012.

1. HiMyNameIsWill

HiMyNameIsWill What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    I've finally got my PC up and running, but when I plug my headset into the audio and microphone port on the back of the PC, Windows doesn't detect anything. No sound at all, nor any microphone.

I've got the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z and the Turtle Beach X11 headset. I've used it on my laptops without a problem, and I don't have any issues with my Xbox either, but it just doesn't seem to work on my desktop.
    I wouldn't mind so much, but I'm finally learning to play SC2 and its useful talking to my more experienced mates on Skype :D

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
    I've installed all the MoBo drivers, and at the moment, I am getting sound out from my monitor via HDMI lead from the GPU. But other then that, nada.

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Have you any cheap speakers to check the audio jacks on the board are working? Best to rule the simple out first.

3. HiMyNameIsWill

I've got headphones. Don't see why they would't work in the same way. However, having tried them, there's absolutely no change whatsoever to anything.

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

There shouldn't be any difference, but that's the point; if it worked with the speakers but not the headset, then there is something up with the headset/mobo combo. Just out of interest is the sound still over hdmi? Can you hook up your monitor via dvi and try the head set again?

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Have you installed the Realtek Audio drivers, and then the Sound Blaster X-Fi 2 Utility Package V1.0 (R11)?

6. HiMyNameIsWill

Yeah there's still sound over HDMI, that sound currently coming out of my monitor.
    I tried what you said, and just unplugged my monitor (I've got another plugged in via VGA), but there was still no sound at all...

7. HiMyNameIsWill

Hmmm... not that I'm aware of no. Checked in device manager, and I've just got 4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio devices.
    Gonna go find my driver disc again.. I installed everything on the disc, but I'm gonna check again either way

8. HiMyNameIsWill

Actually, this is where my tech knowledge is lacking, but I installed the MoBo drivers first, and then the GPU drivers second to that. Considering I've got an nVidia GTX 560ti, could it have been that there were sound drivers on there that replaced the drivers that were installed with the MoBo disc?

9. HiMyNameIsWill

Downloaded and installed both, and it hasn't changed anything :/

10. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Sorry, but i'm out of ideas now then. I'm inclined to think your audio jacks on the board are goosed. See if anyone has any better ideas before RMAing it on just my hunch though.

11. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I know what it is, have you enabled the sound in the bios as it's set to disabled in default mode. Go into the bios by pressing the delete button when you see the ROG logo, go to the advanced tab and the click on 'Onboard devices configuration', now make sure the HD Audio controller is Enabled, Front panel is set to HD and SPDIF Out Type is set to SPDIF not HDMI. That should do it. You might need to install the drivers after that

Let me know if it works

Last edited: 2 Feb 2012
  12. HiMyNameIsWill

Genius! You've cracked it! Thank you very much. Thats a bit of information I won't be forgetting any time soon!

13. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I had the same problem with Ethernet connection could not get it to work for love nor money, I thought as a last resort I'll check the bios and low and behold it was disabled. It's weird as I've not seen any other motherboard do this

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Oh God, I had that issue with an MSI MB everything was disabled in BIOS, including USB. Imagine what that was like, I don't own any PS2 keyboards or mice.....

Had to borrow from work.

15. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

And by 'borrow' you mean creeping in at midnight with a pair of tights on your head? "Must...game...now!!?" :thumb:

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

yup best secutity on IT garbage in the country LOL

*Jokes