1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards High temps while playing skyrim

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boltonuk007, 4 Feb 2012.

1. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

Iam refering to my sig rig which is a week old on Monday. the CPU is overclocked to 4.8ghz @ 1.38v. the 460 SLI cards are oc'd to 840mhz on stock voltage. The cards are in the 80's degrees under stress and the CPU is 65 max under prime95. My case is a standard Antec 100 with an extra 120mm fan intake on the front....
    The problem i had was while playing Skyrim (1080p very high 80ish FPS) for 2 hours or so I started noticing flickering on the screen, I saved my game an exited and there was a warning telling me that my motherboard was at 60 degrees+. I then prime95'd my cpu watching the motherboard temp (idle 23 degrees) and it went up 1 maybe 2 degrees. Then used furmark on my GPUS and it raised the motherboard temps to 26.

Could this be a problem? could my overclocked GPUS and CPU be too much for my motherboard (i find this hard to believe) or is it nothing to worry about and to be ignored?? thanks in advance guys

2. boltonuk007

i have to add that the motherboard temp did not seem to drop after exiting the game, like it was stuck at the 60 degree warning

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I think it's more the case which isn't able to cope with all the heat being dumped into it. High board temps (I'm guessing that's the chipset or something similar) can cause instability. Not sure on your type of board though what would be considered high. Maybe lower the overclock on your GPUs?

Edit: Hmm how long have you left it after stopping your game?

4. boltonuk007

few minutes, was expecting it to drop a little at least. The room was very cool (window open, snowing outside!) and the air coming from with exhaust fans was barely warm....iam finding other people in other forums reporting mis-readings from the Asus monitoring software in windows

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This.

If your cards are dumping heat onto the board and chipset you've gotta apply some direct cooling so the PCH gets some fresh air. If you bury it under 80C cards + its own heat, it'll overheat. It's entirely localised heating: it won't affect your CPU or case temps all that much.

6. noizdaemon666

It could just be software but I'm guessing if your board has little airflow getting to it then it is simply the case not being able to handle it. Either add more fans or lower the overclocks or buy a new case I would say :)

Edit: Ninjad partially by Bindi :D

7. boltonuk007

even if the cards exhaust externally? the cards topped out at 70 degrees while playing, 80 is furmark temps

8. boltonuk007

theres 1 120mm intake at the front, 1 120mm exhaust at the back and a 140mm exhaust in the top.

9. noizdaemon666

I don't think your cards just exhaust externally. After googling them it would seem they exahust air out of the back and into the case (correct me if I'm wrong). Don't forget that you have 2 cards at 70C, both heating up your case and your board.

Edit: For your sort of system and overclocks I really would get a better case....or mod the one you've got to add more fans :dremel:

10. boltonuk007

ok, I will do another stint on Skyrim, keep an eye on motherboard temps and if it happens again then im in the market for a new case!

11. noizdaemon666

Not fancy modding it then? :D What fans do you use by the way, if they're not too good, changing them may help a bit.

12. boltonuk007

ha, not really got the patience or skill for modding yet, the fans are akasa, not the cheapest and by no means the dearest, perhaps a fan upgrade would be a cheaper 1st option

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

boltonuk007, I have the same mobo with a silly sensor.

My motherboard temp in speccy is either at 60c or 124c. No more, no less. It is always at either of those temperatures no matter what.

Not sure if that is relevant to your issue but for me, my temperature sensor for the motherboard (in speccy) or CPUTIN in hw monitor is messed up because there is no way anything in my rig is at 124c when its idle on desktop unless I am missing something huge.

boltonuk007 likes this.
  14. murraynt

murraynt Modder

try switch the front intake to a side intake fan. Might drop the temperatures.

What's the cable tiding like?

15. boltonuk007

i was hoping you would see this. it was stuck on 60c and i have been reading of cases were it was 124c. I have been playing for another hour and it hasnt got above 28c. im putting it down to that asus software

N17 dizzi likes this.
  16. boltonuk007

cable tidying is meticulous. the side intake would be considered but its looking like software issues with bundled software, thanks for the input guys

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

No worries mate, hope you don't have anymore trouble and a bios update or a hammer will fix mine one day :)

18. noizdaemon666

If you were noticing flickering when it got 'hot' I'd say it probably was actually getting very hot, or some part of it was. I'd still look at upgrading cooling, even if it is just software errors.

19. boltonuk007

the flickering was one dungeon, it hasnt done it anywhere else, as soon as I went back to that specific spot it was doing it again, yet another skyrim bug! and a coincidence my monitoring software went daft!

20. boltonuk007

what problems are you having? i remember you saying you were running at 5ghz, what voltage is that? im at 4.8 @ 1.38v, it gets to 65 on prime which is as hot as im comfortable with.