1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress SSR-X: Update - Bottom Cover Fiberglass Part 2/De-Mold

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cleveland216, 1 Jun 2011.

1. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

Agreed the Kevlar stuff is expenisve, tho' different in a nice way, IIRC some people I knew tried dying normal CF and/or silk screening colours onto it before adding resin.

One downside of CF is CF splinters :duh: real PITA to get out :waah:

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oh wow :jawdrop: this one flew right past my radar, a true stealth project in every sense :D.

Truly awesome stuff Cleveland216 I now follow keenly. :D stars & rep

Again WOW :rock:

Last edited: 3 Feb 2012
  3. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

FECK.
    Don't know how I missed this, that's an incredible amount of effort and skill so far :jawdrop: Can't wait to see more!

4. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Your a great modder! Thank you bro for the compliment. I working hard on this one.

Thank you! Jus trying to raise awareness of Carbon Fiber more!~

5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

That looks incredible.

6. DoOb's

DoOb's Overclocker/Modder

D A M thats amazing !!! ^^^^!!! on page 6 Well done

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Nice, & doing it on a grand scale :jawdrop: too much vinyl not enough real, I'd like to have a go at it myself some time. :rock:

The alu piece you made for the mould was a huge project in itself :D but seeing that perfect CF piece looks well worth the huge effort mate. :clap:

Still can't believe I only just seen this. :hehe::duh:

I wondered who it were who did the Aelro Dynamic, didn't catch it on the forum but sure remember seeing the article, very different, complex & awesome looking rig. :)

8. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

My eyes couldn't handle all the awesomeness contained in this log so I had to take them out, now It's my wife that is typing not me...

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

This is definitely catching a vote from me. :rock:

10. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

You are not the only one with that idea! :thumb:

11. Cleveland216

Those f'in Aluminium covers took forever, I swear! Than I had to rip them out of the molds, argh, oh well, I knew it was going to happen.

Do you want a Cost Tally of the build so fa, lolz r:jawdrop:

I got a great laugh out of this! Thank you for the support, it means alot!

Thanks again

Thanks for the support!

The competition is really good this month! Every modder is putting in their own hard work in each of these builds. Good Luck to all of them!

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

So true but I got to a point last year where I was voting for them all sometimes with liking them all in 1 way or another :lol: so I'm making an effort to pick a number 1 each month from now, harsh but I think it's right.

13. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

If Waynio is only picking one, then I'm only picking... ah crap, I already picked 2 :worried: :D

I would agree it's often hard to pick just one, there are very few mods on here that I don't like

SR-X got one of my 2 votes as well :thumb: this is awesome (and REAL carbon fiber, I was starting to get sick of vinyl....)

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nah, try to bury it deep in your mind mate, it only hurts thinking about costs & hurts even more saying it out loud. :D

But it looks worth the effort & cost. :)

15. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

So impressive and original in so many ways :)

I've had a go at grp and carbon in the past so know how difficult it is to get it from sort of looking ok to yep thats good . I must admit the infusion thing was new to me but it seems to work so well :thumb:

You'd get my vote but I'm note sure it's polite to vote if you're nominated :confused:

16. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Watching from the start and it gets better and better every time i look here. Gratz for MOTM nominee.

Still reminds me of a mix from a f117 and a sr-71 so better not kill the mold afterwards, im sure with only minimal modification that will be a rc jet plane. :D

Wouldnt it be for the power you could put a pc inside a rc jet plane...maybe with a mini itx and good batteries :idea:...nah...no one would be so crazy :eyebrow:...but thinking of beeing in the bit-tech forum...hell yeah someone would :dremel::lol:

17. Cleveland216

Thank You!

Thank You for the support!

Selecting just one can be difficult, I agree. I would recommend that people pick off originality or some element in their case that is truly original. It is these ideas that propel the modding community forward.

Wow, thanks for the support! The real carbon fiber is really awesome from a weight standpoint more than anything. I think CF will start to be used more and more in the years to come. As the price will eventually drop more and more.

Thank you for the support! I agree, it can be tricky to keep the weave in align or at least looking aligned properly. I dont want to say that it is really hard, it just takes practice at first before you become better at it.

Thanks for the support! SR-X represents a mix between a B-2 and SR-71. A delta wing design with emphasis on two HUGE engine compartments. I'll talk about this more as the build nears completion.

The molds themselves represent thousand(s) of dollars in technology. I say that because if a company made these, i.e. Boeing, they would consider these molds technology. The molds represent a inherient function or there to function. Once the build is put together it would be considered a technological platform. Now I know I'm getting down the nitty griddy here, though, this whole build could be possibly patented, that is why I say technology also.

To make this an RC plane, the engine compartments would have to be layered with a titanium foil due to heat emission. Since this SR-X incorporates above wing intakes, a de-icing system would have to be installed on the air intakes due to possible condensation as the air compresses above the wing at the intakes. A glyochol system that consisting on a tank with hoses leading to an exchanger that could be implemented in an air-intake grill covering i would say would work. Ya I have thought about what it would take to make SR-X fly

18. Cleveland216

Resin Trap

Hello. My thanks once again goes out to the modding community in the support for this build. Update time.......

I had to re-figure a Resin Trap for my infusion setup. The PVC ones that I was building were getting ravaged due to the crystallization process by the infusion resin. The resin heats up to almost 200F when it is setting up to cure. This is actually the curing process itself, though, it doesnt stay this temperature the whole 24 hours. The PVC tubing was just melting and buckling under the heat. So....time for Aluminium!!:clap:

[​IMG]

Here is the Alum Tank. I salvaged this out of the scrap bin. It is used actually for marinating food in. It will due for me. Plus I wont have to worry about over filling the trap with resin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some .090 6061 Alum laying around that was left over from the Aelro build. I cut out this round piece to be used as the cover. Drilled some holes and taped them. Than I had some 90 degree stock layin around and had it welded on the backside for support.

[​IMG]

This is weatherstrip for a garage doors that I bought at Home Depot, it works as a seal!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly, I got in my 8 yards of Carbon Fiber to finish the bottom piece and rest of the frame. There is another story behind this, that I will share in the next update!

19. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

Pics need sorted out, Cleveland.

20. Cleveland216

If you are referencing to the current problem, I have exceeded my bandwith allowed for the month, the pics will be re-activated on 14th.