1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What to do next? *Sigh*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattyh1995, 4 Feb 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Yeah I am a bit stuck at the moment. Don't want to spend £500 on a 3Gb 580 hydro so I will wait for the next generation of Nvidia GPU's and then buy one expensive single card :)

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I find I am often lacking motivation in life, also need a new exercise regime... can you help?

3. John Doe

John Doe User

Garbage as in part quality? No. Garbage as in a waste of money? Yes. The guy doesn't need to watercool a machine he hasn't even OC'ed yet. Hell, he doesn't need WC'ing in any way. The Dark Power Pro is an excellent cooler.

You don't. However, the real ZEN is building is to use your money wisely. To have everything in balance.

Then he should use the money towards a new PSU. Because that old CWT PSH unit is the weakest link in that machine.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Me same. The rumours about Kepler look promising but I won't get my hopes up. Just see what comes along. Problem is I will want to liquid cool it and a full cover waterblock is close to £100. My current 560Ti's are absolutely perfect for liquid mod because the MSI heatsink only directly cooled the GPU core. Thus I was able to buy 2 inexpensive universal waterblocks. If possible I'd like to use one of them on the next GPU that comes along.

Ultimately though if you're willing to spend £450+ on a GPU then it shouldn't be too much of a stretch if you have to buy a full cover block.

5. John Doe

John Doe User

Sure. Do some squats for quads, benches for pecs and run a few miles in invervals on the treadmill. Don't use the Smith Machine, it sucks. Use free weights and control your own momentum.

This post is as related to the topic as yours is.

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Just above this post, Ficky Pucker suggested some of the garbage to which you refer - a bigger SSD, a U2711/U3011, a mechanical keyboard, good headphones/speakers and extra RAM...

John Doe can you please tell me where you keep your bins?

7. John Doe

John Doe User

Right. Because he def. needs a 30' panel over his 24 incher, a bigger SSD and frigging MOAR RAM over 8gb, right? 8gb is all you goddamn need.

Well I'm wasting my time with them on hardware forums. I've discussed with those like you so many times before, who don't understand to use their money wisely. Who think it's no issue to buy a 1200W PSU for a single card setup.

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I was trying to be ironic, perhaps raise a smile or two...

You don't think it a little funny trying to preach to a bunch of computer enthusiasts about wasting money?

9. John Doe

John Doe User

No, it's not. An enthuasiast used to mean who's professioned, but, as you see, time after time, it has lost it's original meaning.

10. longweight

I see that you are a valuable addition to the forum! Does he need 30" monitor? What kinda question is that?!

11. John Doe

John Doe User

The title of this thread is "Build advice", I think that tells me what I should post. For him to need a 30' monitor, he needs to be dressed in a $1000 suit with Pavarotti playing in the background. If not, then he should use his money towards upgrading that old TX750 (that is if he WANTS, not NEEDS).

12. longweight

Why should he upgrade his PSU? 750W is more than enough to run his current set up so that money would be better spent on other things that will give him a noticeable upgrade.

Such as a mechanical keyboard.

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Someone break out the spiderman pics quick

14. John Doe

John Doe User

I wasn't referring to wattage. Yes, 750W is easily sufficient but that unit is based on an old, inferior platform. He has the old TX750. An AX850 would be better off since a PSU can be kept for every setup unlike some other parts. He'd be able to SLi 580's on it as well.

15. longweight

There we go :thumb:

16. longweight

I think I will save my pennies and get a next gen GPU, waterblock and loop. Might include the CPU but not much point really!

17. FifteeeCal

FifteeeCal What's a Dremel?

Spend some cash on getting a lovely case to replace the fugly Dark Fleet. Unless for some strange reason your eyes are broken and you actually like the look of the Antec :p

18. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

My eyes are broken :( I actually like the look ^^ Plus it's the perfect height to be a leg rest ;D

19. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

To the OP, if you're looking to improve your video and sound experience / immersion:

- Consider either a 23/24" triple monitor setup (great for immersion) or a 30" 2560 x 1600. For the former, look for a good quality monitor holder like those from Ergotron.
    - You're missing a receiver and 5.1 hi-def surround sound via HDMI.

Throw in a mechanical keyboard as well.

On the other hand, if you're just looking to tinker around just for the sake of it, consider serious case modding with water cooling. That'll keep you occupied for a while.

20. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Been thinking about the whole water cooling and case modding thing, i'm happy with my display and sound at the moment though. However, the prices and my lack of knowledge in watercooling and modding puts me off :jawdrop: