1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Debating on getting a new mechanical keyboard (current one is a basic Steelseries 6Gv2, so nothing particularly special), there are so many choices though so I'm not entirely sure what to pick now. :\

Probably going to aim for something with MX Brown switches and O-rings as I'll be switching use between my gaming rig and my programming rig.
    At the moment I'm possibly looking at WASD and Ducky boards, anyone else have any recommendations?

Edit:
    Needs to be a full keyboard as I'm too used to typing numbers on the numpad.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2012
  2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

*cough* http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=225268 *cough*

/hint ;)

3. suenstar

Sorry, should had noted that I need a numpad so the Tenkeyless isn't quite going to fit the bill.

Although, I could always get a standalone numpad. :\

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just get the full version.

In general Filco are recognised as the best cherry switch based keyboards.
    I was perfectly happy with my Ducky though, may be worth it for the savings.

But WASD make good quality stuff aswell.

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I have just tried O-rings, if you can't type on a mechanical keyboard without bottoming the keys out then just get a rubber dome board. The O-rings really kill any enjoyment that you will get out of a mechanical board!

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Really? I found there was minimal difference tbh, they just have a softer feel when you do bottom them out and they get rid of a certain amount of the 'clack' noise (however they are still noisier than rubber dome keyboards).

7. longweight

I found that they really muffle the feel, will try one on my Filco when I get home to see if that is different.

8. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

Das Keyboard? Although I seem to be one of very few people that like the gloss black (body, the keys are matt). It's full size and there's a "silent" version with browns.

What is this and why can't I view it?

Sweet! It even has a stepped caps lock key :thumb:

What orings were they? The ones from WASD don't feel any different to me, maybe you had thicker ones?

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It's my for sale thread in the marketplace, you can't view it as you don't have the required number of posts to gain access to it.

10. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

Ah right, thanks. I didn't know there was a marketplace.

11. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I definitely haven't found it giving a dead feel but I do have a tendency to hammer the keyboard a touch. Even with the O rings in place I have a noticeable clack with every key press. The one key it's made the most difference too is the space bar, that one used to ring like a bell every time I hit it. What can I say? What I lack in precision typing I make up for with enthusiasm! :D

12. suenstar

I haven't found the O-rings too bad so far, though like others I have a tendency to type quite heavy handedly.

If you wanted to know specifically what he's selling, it's a Filco Tenkeyless with extra bits for £110.
    You'll be able to see the Marketplace forum shortly after you hit 75 posts, though sometimes you need to poke a moderator to enable it... that's rare to need to do that.

I was considering a Das, it's what I had way back before the Steelseries one.
    A friend has offered me his Deck Legend (ToXiC) for cheap, though it's MX Black so not sure if I'll like it for mass typing sessions. Gonna give it a small trial run regardless though.

I think I'll either go for the full Filco or a WASD, possibly with this design:
    http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/custom-designer/?k=20&

13. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Our VorTex group buy over on Deskthority has hit problems with Paypal. We've all paid and now Paypal have frozen his account until he can prove what the payments are for.

Of course the guy could be off around Munich getting p***ed on our cash ;)

Was going to be a long enough wait for it without Paypal sticking their mits in where it isnt needed!

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Paypal has done that to a few buys now. Apparently if you actually use their service, it is suspicious to them...

15. longweight

I really don't like the WASD body, I think it looks clunky and cheap.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I highly recommend a WASD keyboard. The build quality is above par and is just amazing

As for o-rings, I had them installed before I even got it, so I don't know what it's like to type without them. I've taken a couple of them out and typed just on those 3-4 keys, it feels different but isn't really any worst. Plus I really need the dampening effect of the o-ring so that I don't drive my roommate crazy

17. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Hmm...I've been looking for an ergonomic mechanical keyboard for a while (with split keys layout and sensible media-key layout, like the Microsoft Natural Multimedia) but not found anything and WASD say they've no plans for one.

Has anyone come across the like? The only examples I've found so far have been the IBM model M15 or Northgate Evolution.

18. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Cherry G80-5000, but they are SUPER RARE and very expensive if you find one.
    [​IMG]

For something that you can actually buy, there is the truly ergonomic.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2012
  19. leslie

leslie Just me!

That is how many feel about blues.
    The two piece internal makes it hard to double tap with any sort of precision. I thought people were making too much of a big deal over blues for a gaming keyboard like the B.W. Ultimate, but after using it, I have to agree, blues are probably the worst switch you can use for gaming.

20. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link - sadly that keyboard seems to have layout issues (misplaced shift keys and, gawd, the Return key in the middle of the spacebar?) which makes the Cherry seem a better choice.