1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India's aid is a joke!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dwarfer, 3 Feb 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dwarfer, just to remind you of my question: would you consider the money we spent on liberating Iraq, Afghanistan and recently, Libya from their oppressive regimes a form of foreign aid? And are you in favour or against?

2. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

One problem I see here: Libya was far from being an oppressive regime. Quite the contrary, it was a country with effective wealth redistribution and many laws preventing companies from abusing their power. Now it's ruled by islamic fundamentalists, but hey, at least we get cheaper oil? Oh snap, USA gets the oil, because it was their idea to start the "revolution".

Also, "liberating" Afghanistan caused a huge spike in availability of cheap heroin in Europe and US, so it became even more widespread and social costs increased over a dozen times.

Everything considered, I think Europe has way too many economic problems of its own to fund India. Their problems are their own fault (same goes for Europe, actually), pumping money won't solve anything, only make things worse - just look at Africa, completely dependent on foreign help and full of people that can't even think for themselves.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Divided by several countries and organizations, so the slice that goes to India is even smaller...

4. Nexxo

You are right that motivations are more complicated (except that Ghadaffi's was an oppressive regime alright, and the democratic replacement infinitely preferable) but I'm just going with the official pretext for the sake of argument, that we helped "liberate" them. ;)

My impression has been (from the "Pissing on dead Afghans" thread) that Dwarfer is a great proponent of these interventions. I wonder if he regards them as a form of foreign aid, and how he justifies them when he is argueing against foreign aid.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2012
  5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

6. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I see, riiight. So, I take it that your finances are tip top and you have loads of disposable income?

If you are not in that position, would it be wiser to -

a) Bring your own house in order?
    b) Spank loads of money on charity?

This country needs to look after itself, especially when there is nothing in it for us. I do not think that there is anything global about it to be honest, it's more about giving a load of cash to people that clearly do not need or want it and that is what is bleeding this country dry, amongst other things.

7. Nexxo

Dwarfer, just to remind you of my question: would you consider the money we spent on liberating Iraq, Afghanistan and recently, Libya from their oppressive regimes a form of foreign aid? And are you in favour or against?

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Giving India that aid likely generates us much more in return - and even if it generated us nothing it would still make economical sense based on trying to build a positive relationship with a rapidly growing economic power.

So we ARE looking after ourselves first BY giving out aid.

Business is all about relationships, the French have an extremely good relationship with India and it was generally expected everywhere (except in the British media) that the French would of course get the aviation contract.

That's just from an economical stand-point. Once you add in poverty and ethics we should be sending far more aid!

9. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

This country needs to look after itself, especially when there is nothing in it for us.

Why are we doing government cuts when we are giving billions away to corrupt leaders?

A lot of people in the UK are in poverty and we cannot "afford" to build our schools!

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

okay...these threads are meant to be debates. You're not reading anything anyone else is posting and just trolling.

I'll stay in the other serious threads that are actually taken seriously, you've ruined this one.

Over to Nexxo....

11. Nexxo

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Dwarfer, lets say that the 20% is your supermarket bill and that the 0.7% is what you give to the poor, considering that say... you pay 100€ in the supermarket are you saying that 3.5€ is a fortune?
    Also:

13. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf0q5Q28QG4

14. Nexxo

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Why did you send a video that is contrary to your view?

Also, since you are ignoring the question:

"Dwarfer, just to remind you of my question: would you consider the money we spent on liberating Iraq, Afghanistan and recently, Libya from their oppressive regimes a form of foreign aid? And are you in favour or against?"

edit: That Farage guy sounds like a dick.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2012
  16. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

That farage guy makes alot of sense and is a straight talker, unlike most wishy/washer liberal thinkers!

17. Nexxo

hardtailstar likes this.
  18. hardtailstar

hardtailstar "insert title here"

Any reply Dwarfer?

19. Nexxo

He does not have one. I suspect that at the basic level Dwarfer's reasoning is this:

• Spending vast amounts of money killing people in foreign countries makes sense to him because foreigners are a threat, and killing them makes him feel safe and protected.

• Spending vast amounts of money helping people in foreign countries feels like a waste to him, because foreigners are a threat, and he cannot see how we could possibly benefit from helping out the competition.
    It's all in-group out-group stuff. Tribalism at its purest. Ironically, helping people in other countries is demonstrably more effective in stopping terrorism and makes the whole world safer. But that's a big picture view, y'know? And Dwarfer does not think in big pictures.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

think dwarfer just doesn't like liberals.. which is understandable.. talked to a real estate agent recently and she was older, probably mid 60's

we got talking about the upcoming presidential election.. she said something that made me laugh.. she said she would elect herman caine but he dropped out of the race.. if you know who that is- it's a candidate for the republicans who dropped out because of tiger woods type conduct with his employees!

I mentioned that and she said.. well the media lies about everything- it was never proven.. and then she said.. I'd elect a dog right now to tell you the truth! a lot of people feel like that, that the obama administration is in the banks back pockets..

far as aid.. you have to look at it as a percentage of the gdp.. work it into the budget and forget about it.. it's like tithing, a lot of conservatives don't even talk about foreign aid really.. it's not even a subject that's brought up.. now obamas faith and liberals in general :D