1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : Zotac ITX Rebox -12th Feb - Completed - MOTM nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bugeye, 8 Nov 2011.

1. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

Oh that is a splendid idea!

2. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I realised that I could get two under the mobo so positioned the fan etc with this in mind . The third one was a bit of luck when I made the case a bit wider so I could mount the power jack plug on the back panel :) It can't be fixed with screws as they would interfere with the cover fitting but nothing at bit of velcro won't fix .

I don't want to get ahead of myself , but depending on how these go a case that takes a dvd and full size hdd is the obvious way to go :)

3. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

How much are 1 of these to buy?

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Velcro is awesome :rock::D ssd's can go in a case in pretty much any way you want, no real need to mount them properly other than to just make them look neater. :)

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That's excellent! Great job!

6. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I don't want to say just yet :) I know what I want them to cost and I'm pretty sure that I've got it right but I want to finish them first . I don't want say one thing now and then change it later .

I think we all know what to get Waynio for his birthday now :D

Thanks mate :thumb:

7. penryn 2 hertz

could you put me down for 1 pls...?

8. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Sure thing :)

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Making these stackable would be a cool feature too, could just see a little ITX farm running in these.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  10. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I'd given it some thought ... mainly when I was thinking about a separate case for a dvd or full size hdd . I gave up on the idea when I realised that they would cost more than the original case by the time you had added in the cost of connecting everything up , extra power supply etc .

To make them stackable I thought about a plate that fixed to the top of the cover to locate the next case . The plate could be attached with something as simple as sticky tabs or velcro . Something to think about :)

Found something more tedious than crimping 80 switch connections .... soldering 80 switch connections ;)

[​IMG]

11. Cookie Monster

What about some form of plate with tabs either on the sides or the corners which would slot over one, then the next could sit into it. Please don't even think of using sticky tabs or velro. I would hate to see something like this ruined by those solutions.

Actually i've just thought of something but I can't explain it, i'll try draw it and upload a photo when I get home.

12. penryn 2 hertz

Sweet vp-switches would there be a option of having to have a 8cm fan hole cut in roof for cpu area?

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Good luck if demand is ultra high for those, you'll get sick of soldering! :lol:
    Great work though.

14. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

I can only imagine! Probably cross-eyed by the time you were done with those.

Keep up the great work :thumb:

15. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Ok I promise no sticky tabs ;)

Just thought of something like this .

Artists impression of rebox stacking adaptor plate thingy

[​IMG]

The lower tabs sit over the lower case and the upper ones sit inside to 'feet' of the top one . Would make it look a bit nicer though :D

Searched for loads of different switches but really there was only one option if I wanted to keep the clean looks :)

Thought long and hard about the idea of letting people spec individual options , unfortunately it just doesn't work out . When they are all the same I can make up a batch over a weekend and they can sit there until they sell ( if :eeek: ) . If I offer 'options' it's not quite as simple .

If they sell and there's the demand for it then things like an alternative cover with a larger vent area is something I'm more likely to do :)

It's a bit marginal if it's worth doing them really although by the 20th one I was doing them in half the time I started out at :)

The crimp pins were worse :lol:

[​IMG]

16. Cookie Monster

I thought of something like that, the problem I thought was that there is nothing stopping the plate sliding back and forwards on the lower case or the top case sliding side to side on the top portion.

My thinking was to have three tabs per side, outer tabs were bent one way with the other going the opposite way, this would stop both boxes moving. It really depends on the design of the tabs though as one big bend like your side ones just chopped into three and bent would look a bit poor.

Another idea would have to be done when you next produce a batch, notch the top of the case so that the feet (on the blue front and back portions) slot into them.

Both these ideas could be combine so that tabs on a plate could slot into notches in the cases.

17. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

The little tabs that go up the way on my drawing would locate in a recess made by the cover and the front and back plates so the top case wouldn't be able to move on the plate .

The tabs that go down the way would need some 'design' work ;) probably make them semicircular or semi elliptical . To stop it moving backwards and forward how about some non slip feet ...

[​IMG]

Kitchen cupboard bumpers look like they might be good .

I think the idea with the tabs going in different directions is more elegant I just can't figure out how to bend the second one without the heat affecting the first ones ???

18. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Well they're finished :)

I'm selling them for £45.oo plus delivery at £7.oo . This is a discounted forum price , if they make it to ebay they'll be £49.50 .

The price includes the switch and a Fractal case fan .... I hope people think they are good value :)

If you want one pm me :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hardware installed .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've tried out some other colours .... I've only made a couple of each . I like the other colours although I think the white one shows the join between the cover and the front panel a little too much .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

19. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

... new start-up? or some company should at least buy your design...this is so sweet!
    Congrats on the work, i'd love to buy one if I actually needed a new pc, which I unfortunately don't :p

20. penryn 2 hertz

Are the drive screw's included with the case?

Tags: