1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : Zotac ITX Rebox -12th Feb - Completed - MOTM nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bugeye, 8 Nov 2011.

1. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Yes I've included the stand offs and the screws to fix them to the case , a set of screws for the first drive and I can add another set for a second drive if you need them :)

Waynio likes this.
  2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Quality job mate, don't know what the laser cutting is costing you & depending on that I'd say awesome startup business, congrats bugeye, I'd be very surprised if you don't sell these fast at a nice price like £45 or even £50. :clap:

3. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Would this Linky motherboard over heat? inside

4. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thanks Waynio :) they're worth making and tbh if they pay for a bit of modding I'll be happy :)

TBH I don't know :) My Zotac runs in the mid 40's which is normal for it and about the same as out of the case . This is without the case fan running so just on the cpu fan :)

I've got an ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe which is similar to the board you linked . When I get a chance ( probably next weekend now ) I'll put it in one of the cases and take some readings :)

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Absolutely :thumb: & sounds like it handles good on temps. :rock:

I'm a tiny bit gutted I didn't start modding like this, let the hobby pay for itself :D all my practice has been on new builds so cost me way more than practice & then build would have cost, oh well the skills & knowledge are much higher than when I started now so shouldn't be a bit gutted really. :D

You went about getting into modding in 1 of the smartest ways I can think of & is an awesome example of the sensible approach to modding, congrats on that too. :clap:

6. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I wish I could say it was all part of some sort of master plan to flood the world with small perspex pc cases .... but it wasn't :)

So far it's been a really interesting project to do . Although the case is very simple making that way ( and keeping it that way ) has been a bit of a challenge .

The best thing to come out of it for me is learning how to bend acrylic . Next step is to get one of those UV lamps and the right sort of glue .... should be fun .

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Been great viewing & you have most definitely learnt how to bend acrylic very nicely. :) I'll keep an eye out for your future projects should be awesome. :)

8. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Awesome final product man.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Congrats, if I had a motherboard that size, I'd buy one for sure.

10. bguilleminot

bguilleminot What's a Dremel?

Oh men you must feel lucky to use that switches... here where I live I have no Vandal Switches and no watercooling stuff, and no modding stores or modding products, and live so far from the US that ordering something to Mnpctech would cost me an eye.

11. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Already started on the next one , and sort of finished :lol:

Thanks Fuganater :thumb:

Maybe another way of looking at it is that there is a gap in the market that you could fill ? Costs pretty much the same to ship 20 switches as it does one :)

12. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

So I tried out my Asus AT3IONT-I in the case to check out the temps ...

I thought I'd give it a realistic test to get some realistic temps so rather than putting it in the open I put it here ....

[​IMG]

As you can see it's in a confined space directly above my main pc which runs a Phenom II X4 955 so not the coolest of places with pretty dubious air flow . I did this because this is the sort of place it's likely to live :)

I don't really know much about bench testing software for linux so again gave it a real life test .

I left it at idle for about and hour and the temps settled to about 50 degrees .

I set it streaming video ....

[​IMG]

This seems to run the both cores of the cpu at about 50% , as an aside my Zotac does the same job running both cores at about 10% :D , after about an hour temps were up to 60 degrees and remained there for the duration .... 3 hours .

As to if these temps are good bad or indifferent ... I don't really know :rolleyes: I've looked and it's been difficult to find any direct comparisons to judge it by . That said I've found a couple of reviews ....

Linky same board in a Lian-Li PC-Q07 , seems to run about 5 degrees cooler in the Lian so given how much bigger that case is I'm pleasantly surprised :)

Another test here with it running out of a case with a 120mm fan blowing over the heat sink ... they got it to about 50 - 55 degrees running Prime95 for 15 minutes ......

:)

Waynio likes this.
  13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice research & considering where you placed it, perfect job mate good stuff. :clap:

14. Mr.Evil

Mr.Evil What's a Dremel?

looks really nice

15. Mystikal0412

Mystikal0412 Safety First, Think Twice!

Good job! I really like them. Maybe at the 4th quarter I am going to purchase one of those nice cases!

16. shah

shah Minimodder

Well done :thumb: Just need to ship these to the whole country now :D

What is the next project btw

17. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I've sold a few but have been a bit to busy at work to put much effort in to it ... really must get them on to ebay ....

Current projects in my sig :)

18. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

These really are lovely little boxes, well done :thumb:

I was wondering though, if you'd consider doing one-off commissions in the future?

19. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thanks Carrie :)

ypm

20. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Very nice, i could laser cut these for peeps in the US (if they will fit in my unit), but not sure i would have time for the bending.

Tags: